PDA

View Full Version : Oil Change Hot Or Cold ?

staakej
08-09-2006, 07:30 PM
I Asking an oil change queation dont matter what make or what model. I'm a do it yourself guy mechanically inclined but not a professional. I allways start my Quad and ride it or just let it sit and run out side and get it good and hot before I change my oil. When I do this people look at me like i'm some kind of retard. But I belive by doing this dirt or metal particles sitting in the bottom of the crank case will eirther get mix in with the hot oil or just simpley run out easier. I do know when ive torn motors down ive let the oil pan sit under the quad for hole day and still had a substantial amount of oil in the cases. When the oil was drained cold.

Like I said I'm not a professional but I belive this changing you oil hot is better for your motor. If I'm wrong about this I'm welcome to opinions. If I'm right maybe this Info can help you out and keep you motor cleaner because a clean motor is a happy motor.

redexrider
08-09-2006, 08:03 PM
You should do it cols after it sits for a while. Reason being to let all of the old oil drain outif every little spoace in the motor. This way you ensure that all of te oil is at the bottom, and you will get the majority of it out. If you change your oil as regularly as you should, you shouldnt have to worry about any metal shavings or anything like that. Another plus... you don't have to worry about getting hot oil on yourself.

NorCalRacer
08-09-2006, 08:18 PM
You are right, warm oil flows out better than cold. Almost all manufacturers reccomend doing oil changes while at full running temperature. Just make sure you give plenty of time for all the oil to drain. A cold oil change will leave way more residual oil in the crankcase.

firefighterjosh
08-09-2006, 08:30 PM
Just like Vehicle you always change you oil warm. It will flow easier and not leave as mich oil in the case.

bansheexcracer2
08-13-2006, 11:52 AM
Warm. When it runs it gets all the dirt out of the smll crevises.