PDA

View Full Version : slow crank??

wysse
08-09-2006, 05:16 PM
my 416 cranks ove veary slow?? I got a new battrey but still the same thing? any one have this prob or know what it could be?

08-09-2006, 05:22 PM
try to take off the big cap on the left side of the motor and put a socket on it and turn it forword see if the motor is tight you should also take the spark pluge out.

wysse
08-09-2006, 05:24 PM
Plz explain what this means if it is tight and why take out the spark plug?? I am going to the duns friday and need to get this fixed thanks

nosliw
08-09-2006, 05:46 PM
to see if there is something internally wrong with the engine that would increase the drag.

taking out the spark plug will make it easier to turn over (won't hold compression)

did this just start all of a sudden? give some background.

will it pop start?

wysse
08-09-2006, 06:00 PM
some times it will start right up! there is a new timingchain on it it stared after that. if i take off the cap and its tight will that mess up the timing?? I am sure it is tight what dose this mean?

H400exRacr
08-09-2006, 06:07 PM
there could be a couple different things wrong with it...i can help you out if you tell me a few things

did you just install new engine parts and this is the first time turing it over?

try to pop start the engine in 2nd gear.......if it pops fine than you might just have a starter going bad

did you do any thing to your valves lately?....if your exhaust valves are sticking it will create very high compression in the engine and keep it from turning over

check the compression in the engine.....idk what compression piston you have but stock should be anywheres from 100-130 lbs

has the engine not been run in a while?

ik this may sound stupid but is there oil in the engine?

~ALAN~ exrider4life@hotmail.com

H400exRacr
08-09-2006, 06:19 PM
Since its got a new timing chain on it you want to make sure the timing is correct. If it is off a little bit the exhaust valves may not be opening fully on the exhaust stroke which would cause it to turn over slowly.

wysse
08-09-2006, 06:30 PM
yes it is tight but, when I went out there it was a little tight so i turned it a little. it got a little lose so I hit the starter and it fired up but it soon shut off so I than checked that bolt again and its real tight!

yes there is oil and yes its been a long time since its been ran 4-5 mons

thanks

wysse
08-09-2006, 06:56 PM
valves looked closed??? this is crazy

H400exRacr
08-09-2006, 08:27 PM
this deff sounds like your timeing is off

i could explain to you how to reset your timing but im telling you its not very fun

if you would like me to tell you then let me know and i'll spend some time to write up some directions.....also if it is a stock timing chain i would replace it b/c they will stretch from the pressure put on them and theres a chance of it breaking and tearing apart the inside of your engine.....a heavy duty after market chain should still be ok though

first you'll want to check the timing to see if it needs to be reset...i will tell you the easiest way to check the timing so you dont have to take the head off your engine

1. turn off your fuel
2. remove your fuel tank
3. take 4 round caps off the top of the engine...this will expose your rockers and valves (make sure no debris gets in these holes)
4. remove the timing cap on the left side of the engine (it is located on the top left hand side of the cirular honda debosed part of the engine....this will expose your timing marks on your flywheel)
5. turn the engine over counterclockwise with a ratchet untill you are at TDC (when the piston is at the top of the cylinder) of the compression stroke
6. when you are at TDC there should be a T mark in the timing hole that is lined up with the notch in the timing hole (you probably wont be able to keep it perfectly lined up...dont worry about it if its a tiny bit off)
7. now check the rockers that you exposed earlier.......the rockers should have minor play in them and all 4 valves should be closed

without tearing down the engine this is the best thing you can do to check the timing...it is only a broad idea

if you really want to check it do everything above then take out the engine mounting bolts at the top of the engine....take out the small bolts holding the cyclinder head on and remove the head (you might need to tap it lightly with a rubber mallet to get it off) if your machine is timed correctly the marks on the timing chain, sprocket, and cam shaft will be lines up and will be all perfectly verticle at the top (when you look at this make sure the engine is at TDC

make sure that if the engine is opened up and your not workin on it to have it covered so that no debris or dirt gets into the engine......this will ruin your whole day

let me know how this turns out

wysse
08-09-2006, 10:17 PM
thanks! I will try that! I dont know a hole lot about these 4 stroks i bet your right! but could it be possible that the valve cover could be to tight??

H400exRacr
08-10-2006, 07:09 AM
There is three other thing that i can think of that it could possibly be, that i would check out.....your valve covers being too tight would have no effect on anything.....and if your cylinder head was too lose it would lose compression and turn over a million miles an hour so that couldnt be it either.

....Your exhaust valves are sticking and holding compression......your rockers are too tight and not allowing your valves to open all the way.......check your chain tensioner on your cam chain to see if its too tight (by checking it i mean reset it)

Reset cam chain tension

on the backside of the engine located at the bottom of the cylinder jug on the right will be the chain tensioner....its shaped almost like a rounded off kite....there will be a cap in the middle of it that will need to be taken off counter clockwise with a large phylips head screw driver....after that is off, take a very small flat head screw driver and stick it into the tensioner.......then rotate it clockwise....this will retract the tensioner spring......once it stopes turning pull out the screw driver and you will hear a snap.......the tensioner should automaticly spring back against the chain and hold it tight.......make sure you listen for a snap b/c if it doesnt tighten up the chain you will be in big trouble when you try to start it

02440exkid
08-10-2006, 08:36 PM
any luck on geting it going??

wysse
08-10-2006, 08:52 PM
no not yet think its the timing!

wysse
08-10-2006, 09:00 PM
no not yet think its the timing!

wysse
08-16-2006, 04:04 PM
the timing is right! still the same prob! I think the crank is bad any more help??

wysse
08-16-2006, 05:02 PM
It has a new starter and battery. when The spark plug is out its still real slow. any one with a idea or also think its the crank plz info is nice thanks

02440exkid
08-16-2006, 06:14 PM
did you check the valvs might be too tight?

wysse
08-16-2006, 06:49 PM
its doing this with the valve cover off.
when I turn it by hand it will turn fine and than get so hard I have to really force it. its almost like it wants to spring back a little. if that makes sence.

02440exkid
08-16-2006, 07:32 PM
is the spark plug out too?

wysse
08-16-2006, 08:08 PM
yes

WhtPrd09
08-17-2006, 10:49 AM
u got it runnin yet... the crank may be locking up. my friend had the same problem and his crank was tuf in spots. but in others it was fine...:confused:

wysse
08-17-2006, 04:11 PM
yes it was the crank got it all riped down today sucks!

WhtPrd09
08-17-2006, 06:22 PM
d**n im good. good luck man, hope u get it back together soon. i no how it is not to have a bike to ride.

02440exkid
08-17-2006, 06:25 PM
is it the crank bearings or the crank itself?

WhtPrd09
08-17-2006, 07:25 PM
u have to bye a whole new crank. while ur at it id get a titaium connecting rode.

wysse
08-18-2006, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by 02440exkid
is it the crank bearings or the crank itself?

crank it slef

02440exkid
08-18-2006, 09:04 AM
i just put a new crank in my quad i got a hotrods HD crank and rod off ebay for $150

WhtPrd09
08-18-2006, 12:10 PM
d*mn dude thats a really good price. :eek:

02440exkid
08-18-2006, 05:42 PM
ya it was a bye it now most of the others biding 200 and up i saw it and i got it right away. it was from cycle pros.
type search "400ex crank" on ebay the 1 for 150 bye it now grate deal

DieselBoy
08-18-2006, 06:55 PM
if you remove the plug and it turns over nicely, then your starter brushes may be shot

edit: saw your post about the crank...

wysse
08-18-2006, 11:22 PM
it did it with a brand new starter thats what I thought at first than battery now for sure crank!