PDA

View Full Version : Predator...good for MX?

FoxRacing81
08-09-2006, 02:33 PM
I am currently looking for a new quad to race MX locally, more than likely, just Quad C. I was looking into purchasing an LT450R but I think it is a bit out of my price range. I have found a 2005 Predator for 5100. I know there a little heavy and big, but I am a big guy. I just need to know if I will be able to keep up with the 450s, and if it'll beat me up on the track. That was my biggest complaint when I used my buddies 450r for a race. It beat the hell out of me. I think the Predators are a little wider too, so that should help.

But I just need to know those things before I make a purchase. I won't be doing any major MXing, just locally, but I don't wanna get smoked because of the quad I am riding.

Thanks,
Justin

Scotty7304
08-09-2006, 07:58 PM
The pred isn't the best choice for the hardcore MX'er but with gearing change you should be able to hold your own I would think. I like mine although I dont do any competative racing

Dune Surfer
08-09-2006, 08:17 PM
I have been riding a Predator for the last three years, so I know the quad. To heavy for MX. I just sold the Pred and bought a 06 yfz for $5999 otd I would suggest going that route

FoxRacing81
08-09-2006, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Dune Surfer
I have been riding a Predator for the last three years, so I know the quad. To heavy for MX. I just sold the Pred and bought a 06 yfz for $5999 otd I would suggest going that route

No dealer around here has a YFZ that cheap. This Predator is pretty cheap, but brand new. Could you explain more when you say too heavy for MX? In what regard? Jumping? Because my buddy told me they were very fast.

Dune Surfer
08-09-2006, 08:40 PM
Look, the pred weighs about 70 lbs more than the yfz. Thats alot more weight coming down on a landing, the other problen is the lack of hook up, front end heavy, more like riding a utility quad. If you race a pred the yammy's, honda's and ltz's will hand you your arse. They are lite and faster. Save you money, work the dealers for a better deal, or find a good used yfz. The pred motor is good the thing just weighs to much. When I bought my yfz they were asking way more, then I showed them a add from LA yamaha for $5999 OTD they matched it. You can trust me on this. How many Preds are winning races.......none

FoxRacing81
08-09-2006, 08:48 PM
No need to be a prick about it dude...just asking a question...

I'm not gonna talk a dealer here selling a YFZ from $7,000 not even OTD to $5,999. Just ain't gonna happen...

I guess I should refraise myself. Can I still be competitive locally in C class on a Predator? I don't have the money to spend 8 grand on something, but I can afford this left over one for about $5,100. If I am not going to be able to keep up because the quad will limit me, I will go for a KFX400, but I don't really want one....

Thanks.

Les Davis
08-09-2006, 08:59 PM
FoxRacing81 I've seen the YFZ450's $6400 OTD at Martinsburg Motorsports in Martinsburg, WVA. It's about a 2 1/2-3 hour drive but maybe worth it to save a few bucks. If they have any left overs you might be able to get a better deal. They'll give you a OTD price over the phone and there is little to no negotiation on price.

FoxRacing81
08-09-2006, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Les Davis
FoxRacing81 I've seen the YFZ450's $6400 OTD at Martinsburg Motorsports in Martinsburg, WVA. It's about a 2 1/2-3 hour drive but maybe worth it to save a few bucks. If they have any left overs you might be able to get a better deal. They'll give you a OTD price over the phone and there is little to no negotiation on price.

Thanks Les, but that's still a bit high. But I do appreciate it. Thank you.

LT250RMan
08-09-2006, 09:05 PM
A predator is not a good mx quad there more of a XC quad.

FoxRacing81
08-09-2006, 09:10 PM
Well, it's affordable. And I have seen people around here race them before, so I think if it all works out, I'm gonna go for it. I'll just have to be the best rider I can be...and hopefully prove you guys wrong. :D

LT250RMan
08-09-2006, 09:14 PM
Dude you are going to find out it weighs to much. You should go find a full MX 440EX it will probaly cost less than the predator and it will handle 100 times better on a MX track and weigh probaly 80lbs less than the predator.

FoxRacing81
08-09-2006, 09:16 PM
I have to make payments. Don't have the money to buy used. Plus, I have had my share of bad expirences with 400exs, so I'll take a chance on this.

LT250RMan
08-09-2006, 09:18 PM
Why do you want a predator for MX ? Its probaly going to beat the crap out of you more than the 450R.

FoxRacing81
08-09-2006, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by LT250RMan
Why do you want a predator for MX ?

Read a little man. It is not that I want a Predator for MX. I want something as fast as the 450s, just don't have the money for any of them. Believe me, if I could get an LTR, it'd be my first choice. But I don't have that kind of money. I can get a good deal on a Pred, and no dealer has an deals on any of the 450s.

and, I'd rather have a Pred then a KFX/Z400.

FoxRacing81
08-09-2006, 09:22 PM
Well, I can see your a Pred basher. The shocks on Preds are much better then 450rs. I highly doubt it is going to beat me up more.

LT250RMan
08-09-2006, 09:23 PM
Man your are going to be riding so hard to keep up with a 450 with a predator you are going to be throwing around 70lbs more on the track with the predator and thats going to wear you out fast. i'm not trying to be a dink i'm trying to help you not buy a XC quad for MX.

FoxRacing81
08-09-2006, 09:25 PM
My buddy who has an LTR has rode a Pred. He said he thinks it would give his LTR a good run. If it'll keep up power wise, I don't see why I'm going to half to. But thanks for your insight.

LT250RMan
08-09-2006, 09:28 PM
Dude its not the power you need on a MX track, its the weight and the handling and the suspension you need .

FoxRacing81
08-09-2006, 09:33 PM
Dude its not the power you need on a MX track, its the weight and the handling and the suspension you need.

Disagree in part. I could have the best suspension in the world, but if the motors slow, I ain't going to do ****. But motor isn't everything also. You need suspension as well.

From everyone I've talked to, the suspension isn't bad, it's just the weight. And if its got the power, then I'm gonna push it to it's limits.

Mad MikeB
08-09-2006, 09:38 PM
The Pred is heavier but the susp is better I run with a 450r and a ltz400 we all have the hot bolt on parts and ride twice a week. It is close every time we ride. They each have strong points but one does not just rip the other ones!

Dune Surfer
08-09-2006, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by FoxRacing81
No need to be a prick about it dude...just asking a question...

I'm not gonna talk a dealer here selling a YFZ from $7,000 not even OTD to $5,999. Just ain't gonna happen...

I guess I should refraise myself. Can I still be competitive locally in C class on a Predator? I don't have the money to spend 8 grand on something, but I can afford this left over one for about $5,100. If I am not going to be able to keep up because the quad will limit me, I will go for a KFX400, but I don't really want one....

Thanks.

Your calling me a prick for giving you good advice? What a punk. Everyone here is telling you the same thing I am, And I'm the only one that has owned one. Dude you have a lot to learn. And if you called me a prick to my face I would knock the crap out of you. By the pred, You have already made up you mind, Why bother asking for advice. My advice, don't try to help punk kids.

LT250RMan
08-09-2006, 10:12 PM
Fist you say you want the predator for MX and then you say you dont want it for MX.:huh

Hey Mad MikeB the predator's suspension is NOT better than the 450's.

FoxRacing81
08-09-2006, 10:18 PM
Your calling me a prick for giving you good advice? What a punk. Everyone here is telling you the same thing I am, And I'm the only one that has owned one. Dude you have a lot to learn. And if you called me a prick to my face I would knock the crap out of you. By the pred, You have already made up you mind, Why bother asking for advice. My advice, don't try to help punk kids.
Yeah, I'm sure you'd knock the crap out of me. :rolleyes: You can stop trying to sound big and tough over the internet.

Look. I don't have the money for a YFZ or LTR. I do have the money to buy a Pred. So, I am tired of hearing a YFZ would be better, because no **** it would be. All I ever wanted to know was if I could still be competitive if I was a good rider on a Predator. Not that there heavy, or that a YFZ is better.

So, please, if you have any reason why I cannot be competitive on a Predator if I ride good, let me know now.
I'd rather not hear that a YFZ is better...or to go buy a 440ex.
I'm not asking you what I should buy, just if I can be competitive from some people who have Preds. THAT'S ALL!!

Thank you!

FoxRacing81
08-09-2006, 10:22 PM
Fist you say you want the predator for MX and then you say you dont want it for MX.:huh

Hey Mad MikeB the predator's suspension is NOT better than the 450's.

I figured someone would say this...

I want to race MX, and the best quad in my budget is a Pred. I am asking if it will be competitive in an open C class.

Now, what kind of quad would I love to have for MX? Suzuki LT450R:D But that ain't possible...

But since that sounds so confusing, you probably won't understand...so you can just go thinking what you want...

LT250RMan
08-09-2006, 10:22 PM
Yeah, I'm sure you'd knock the crap out of me. :rolleyes: You can stop trying to sound big and tough over the internet.

Look. I don't have the money for a YFZ or LTR. I do have the money to buy a Pred. So, I am tired of hearing a YFZ would be better, because no **** it would be. All I ever wanted to know was if I could still be competitive if I was a good rider on a Predator. Not that there heavy, or that a YFZ is better.

So, please, if you have any reason why I cannot be competitive on a Predator if I ride good, let me know now.
I'd rather not hear that a YFZ is better...or to go buy a 440ex.
I'm not asking you what I should buy, just if I can be competitive from some people who have Preds. THAT'S ALL!!

Thank you!

Why did you even ask us for our opinion when all you do is just dissagree with us????

FoxRacing81
08-09-2006, 10:25 PM
Why did you even ask us for our opinion when all you do is just dissagree with us????

lol I dunno dude...if that's what you wanna call it, fine. I don't look at it that way, but trust me. I am more confident about getting it now then before thanks to you guys.

LT250RMan
08-09-2006, 10:27 PM
lol I dunno dude...if that's what you wanna call it, fine. I don't look at it that way, but trust me. I am more confident about getting it now then before thanks to you guys.

why are you more confident to buy it now?? because we told you its going to suck *** on a MX track ???? LOL

FoxRacing81
08-09-2006, 10:29 PM
why are you more confident to buy it now?? because we told you its going to suck *** on a MX track ???? LOL

Haha...well, since I am a punk kid and all, I'll just have to find that out for myself.

Dune Surfer
08-09-2006, 10:29 PM

You are a complete idiot.

LT250RMan
08-09-2006, 10:31 PM
Haha...well, since I am a punk kid and all, I'll just have to find that out for myself.

HAVE FUN ON YOUR HEAVY MX QUAD !!!

FoxRacing81
08-09-2006, 10:32 PM
You are a complete idiot.

Yeah, that really hurt...just remember, I'm a punk kid...;)

FoxRacing81
08-09-2006, 10:33 PM
HAVE FUN ON YOUR HEAVY MX QUAD !!!

Believe me, I will. :D

LT250RMan
08-09-2006, 10:35 PM
Hey FoxRacing81 how much do you weigh ?

FoxRacing81
08-09-2006, 10:37 PM
Hey FoxRacing81 how much do you weigh ?

LOL....what's it to you?

No more arguing for me tonight...gotta go to bed so I can get up early and get a PREDATOR...

Bye guys. Have fun. Talk to you guys later!

LT250RMan
08-09-2006, 10:38 PM
your a dumbass i asked you because the predator is probaly going to throw you around like a rag doll seeing that your only 16.

FoxRacing81
08-09-2006, 10:42 PM
your a dumbass i ask you because the predator is probaly going to throw your around like a rag doll seeing that you only 16.

I'm 6'4, about 235lbs. Call me fat, big, whatever the hell you want. It won't throw me around.

LT250RMan
08-09-2006, 10:44 PM
with your weight and the weight of the quad your going to wear your self out on the track.

HAVE FUN !!!

FoxRacing81
08-09-2006, 10:45 PM
Believe me, I will. Thanks for your concern.

Mad MikeB
08-09-2006, 11:55 PM
LTR250man to each his own!

smokinwrench
08-10-2006, 05:56 AM
I ride an 05 troy lee. It will be very competive if your a good enough rider. I run harescrambles and have never had a yfz or 450r outrun me yet, only 2 races this spring.

We don't have enough people in this area that race mx and I'm not willing to spend a Sunday and $50 to race against 1 other guy.

The Predator gets a bad rap from everyone. IT starts with yamahanda wheels and trickles down from there. It comes facotry 2 inches wider then a yfz and with a dura blue axle which both cause it to weigh more. Go get brochures of all 4-5 sport quads and compare them. YOu will find that the predator had more and better specs then all others. YES, the worse thing is the heavy weight.

whoamack22
08-10-2006, 02:06 PM
i own a 06 yfz and ive rode a tld and liked it alot, there not bad at all, im 6'4 220 ive seen guys on preddy's comepete, just make sure u regear and set it up right and youll be ok

FoxRacing81
08-10-2006, 02:16 PM
Bought a YFZ....:mad:

haha...okay so the payments overall was better....lmao...all that fight for nothing on here last night!!

:):D

whoamack22
08-10-2006, 02:23 PM
lol the yfz is good lol 06? welcome to the blue side

FoxRacing81
Originally posted by whoamack22
lol the yfz is good lol 06? welcome to the blue side

Yep. 2006. Yellow LE. I couldn't be happier...

Time to tear it up!

here is the deal...you are at a double weight disadvantage to start out with...your weight, not that you are fat or anything, just that most racers do not weight that much. and second , the bikes weight.

there is a third disadvantage that you may dispute. it is your experience. you are only 16 and are asking if you will be competitive. that tells me that you have not spent a lot of time at a track watching who/what is winning/ doing well. going frm this, i would bet that there are better riders with lighter bikes out that that will make short work of you. i may be wrong, but the conclusions i have drawn hold pretty tight on this i think.

enjoy the predator...i am sur eif you actually looked around, you could find a left over 450r or yfz fro the same price as the predator. last time i was at Worlf Of Wheels, near Oil City, PA, they had a left over '05 450r. the tag said $5399. I am pretty sure it was the same one they had when i bought my 450er in february...i got it out the door for less than retail.

FoxRacing81
08-10-2006, 02:24 PM
:D

FoxRacing81
08-10-2006, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad
here is the deal...you are at a double weight disadvantage to start out with...your weight, not that you are fat or anything, just that most racers do not weight that much. and second , the bikes weight.

there is a third disadvantage that you may dispute. it is your experience. you are only 16 and are asking if you will be competitive. that tells me that you have not spent a lot of time at a track watching who/what is winning/ doing well. going frm this, i would bet that there are better riders with lighter bikes out that that will make short work of you. i may be wrong, but the conclusions i have drawn hold pretty tight on this i think.

enjoy the predator...i am sur eif you actually looked around, you could find a left over 450r or yfz fro the same price as the predator. last time i was at Worlf Of Wheels, near Oil City, PA, they had a left over '05 450r. the tag said $5399. I am pretty sure it was the same one they had when i bought my 450er in february...i got it out the door for less than retail.

Thanks for the advice man...already got he YFZ, so I'm alright but lol...

As far as only being 16, yea I am, but I am not sure that really matters. My buddy just turned 17 and he is winning B class on a stock LTR. Me and him have been riding the same amount of years. I have been watching this whole year. I know Preds aren't winning, but that doesn't mean they won't keep up.

But I don't care anymore, because I got a YFZ. :)

PTMracing
08-10-2006, 02:29 PM
:D :D :D Just read this thread.......Absolutely a blast! What a soap opera!!! Thanks for the entertainment guys.;)

FoxRacing81
08-10-2006, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by PTMracing
:D :D :D Just read this thread.......Absolutely a blast! What a soap opera!!! Thanks for the entertainment guys.;)

lmao...you like that?
I was tired of aruging...it was late, and I just started spitting whatever came out of my mouth...:D

PTMracing
08-10-2006, 02:32 PM
Hey...good luck with the yfz. Good choice. SMOKE EM!!!

FoxRacing81
08-10-2006, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by PTMracing
Hey...good luck with the yfz. Good choice. SMOKE EM!!!

:D Thanks man.

Dune Surfer
08-10-2006, 04:41 PM
Congrats on the YFZ, You will love it.

FoxRacing81
08-10-2006, 05:34 PM
Congrats on the YFZ, You will love it.

Thanks man. Sorry for being a jackass last night lol.

Dune Surfer
08-10-2006, 06:15 PM
Thanks man. Sorry for being a jackass last night lol.

No problem man, Really I was just trying to help. We are like a family here, Its ok to argue. Congrats again on the yfz. Don't get me wrong, I really liked my predator, for the dunes it was good, just not for racing. Break in your yfz, take out the pea shooter on the exhaust, take the airbox lid off, rejet and haul ***:D

LT250RMan
08-10-2006, 06:41 PM
I'm glad you bought a YFZ and not the predator for the type of riding you are going to be doing and plus you can buy way more aftermarket parts for the YFZ. Good choice man you will enjoy it.

lepred
08-11-2006, 03:13 AM
I race mine MX, she can hold her own on the track, for a big girl anyway.

Alpredator
08-11-2006, 04:20 PM
I mx my predator and have no problem destroying yammes, honda,or the new zukie.

Dune Surfer
08-14-2006, 05:31 PM
I love the motor on the Predator, I just wish they could make it 50-60 pounds lighter and use a normal front end. Yes they haul arse, that motor feels like it is alive. Facts are though the 450's have more HP and weigh so much less. I hade a great time on my pred, but would I buy another one.........no

08-22-2006, 09:11 PM
i can eat a 450r and yfz on mx with my pred.its just how you drive.if you throw doug gust on a pred and natallie on one to they will be even.i use mine for mx and xc and i kick *** in both.good choice on the yfz.im just glad you didn't get the kfx.they SUCK.j/k:D