PDA

View Full Version : Starter clutch problem

Predatorguy88
08-09-2006, 12:29 PM
I have an 03 Pred and I've been having some problems with the starter clutch. I ran it for a while (bad idea) so now my machine won't start. Has anyone else had this problem?

project_tecate
08-09-2006, 03:18 PM
what exactly is it doing

Predatorguy88
08-15-2006, 01:14 PM
It doesn't start, it just makes a loud clunking, and I took the starter cover off and spun the gear behind the flywheel and I can feel a grinding when i spin it, leading me to believe it is the bearing in the starter clutch that is the problem.

project_tecate
08-15-2006, 01:34 PM
I had somewhat the same problem except my gear was locked up. What happens is the bolts that go into the flywheel back out and jam everything up. All 8 of mine were snapped in half and laying in the bottom of the case. Pull your flywheel and have a look. Thats most likely your problem

When you spun the gear did it spin both directions or just the one direction? If it spun both ways then you need the one way bearing as well

Predatorguy88
08-18-2006, 07:11 AM
it only spun one way. I talked to a guy at a local shop and he said from what I said it sounded like the one way bearing.

How hard is it to get to those bolts you had a problem with?

project_tecate
08-18-2006, 08:22 AM
if it spun one direction but not the other the one way bearing is fine. Those bolts are on the back of the flywheel so you need to have the flywheel pulled to get to them. Your local polaris shop should do this for free cause it takes a second, i ended up just buying a flywheel puller for mine for like $34 just in case. There are new bolts that polaris had an update for I believe and there stronger than the stainless steel ones in there now. But get your flywheel pulled and go from there

Predatorguy88
08-19-2006, 08:52 AM
the bolts are on the back of the flywheel? Thats a bit of a relief, I thought I might have had to tear into the case, and thats not really something I want to deal with. I'm going to take it down to my local shop and have them pull it, hopefully it's one of these two problems. Thanks for your help.

project_tecate
08-22-2006, 04:31 PM
oh and if you still have the gasket on the flywheel side, try to keep in intact when taking off the cover, for some odd *** reason the clutch side and flywheel side gaskets are always on back order. I ended up using a gasket epoxy to re-seal mine and its fine but just thought I would let ya know that

Predatorguy88
08-23-2006, 07:29 AM
ok, thanks for the tip.