PDA

View Full Version : what shock and arm combo

tar
08-09-2006, 10:19 AM
Right now I am thinking Houser arms with either TCS or Elka shocks. I am stuck between them what should i get?

rob-u/21
08-09-2006, 10:44 AM
What are these arms for? If you are between ELKA and TCS I would strongly recomend TCS. They will get the valving done right the first time.

LT250RMan
08-09-2006, 10:57 AM
Go with ELKA !!!

pudamac12
08-09-2006, 12:14 PM
check out smc fabrication and motowoz shocks. Pm me on a good deal for shocks.

rob-u/21
08-09-2006, 12:21 PM
Go with ELKA !!!
Whaoo. That convinced me. Why would you want to spend $1100 for shocks and then have to spend $350 more to get them re-valved when all you have to do is spend $850 for TCS shocks that are going be valved correctly. I think ELKA's look sweet but it sucks that they are valved the way they are.

LT250RMan
08-09-2006, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by rob-u/21
Whaoo. That convinced me. Why would you want to spend $1100 for shocks and then have to spend $350 more to get them re-valved when all you have to do is spend $850 for TCS shocks that are going be valved correctly. I think ELKA's look sweet but it sucks that they are valved the way they are.

TCS has crappy customer service they could'nt even tell me the suspension travel that i would get with +2 standard travel a-arms with their shocks, and plus when i asked them about rear shock linkage they tried telling me that the stock 400ex rear shock linkage is just as good as the ELKA linkage when there is even a review on the elka linkage on the main page of exriders saying that its way better than the stock linkage and the guy was kinda a prick on the phone to me.

ELKA has great customer service and if the valving is off when you buy there shocks they said they would revalve them for no extra charge besides shipping.

rob-u/21
08-09-2006, 02:34 PM
TCS has crappy customer service

That is very strange from them. I will say that ELKA has great customer service, but so does TCS. I have never had a bad experince with anyone at TCS.

they could'nt even tell me the suspension travel that i would get with +2 standard travel a-arms with their shocks

Perhaps they did'nt have the measurements to your arms.

when i asked them about rear shock linkage they tried telling me that the stock 400ex rear shock linkage is just as good as the ELKA linkage

I believe that is actually true. All of that linkage stuff is based on the valving. If the valving is done right there is no need for a linkage.

if the valving is off when you buy there shocks they said they would revalve them for no extra charge besides shipping.

Try shiping a complete set of shocks round trip to canada and you will see what the cost are. And there is no guarantee their valving will be any better. If they did'nt do it right the first time what makes you thing they will improve.

LT250RMan
08-09-2006, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by rob-u/21

Perhaps they did'nt have the measurements to your arms.

I believe that is actually true. All of that linkage stuff is based on the valving. If the valving is done right there is no need for a linkage.

You dont need the measurments for standard travel a-arms to find out the travel you will get, it depends on how the shock is made and what length the stock is, becuase on all standard travel a-arms the shock mounts in the same spot, the only time you need the measurment and the motion raito is with long travel a-arms.

The elka linkage gives you more wheel travel and a more progressive shock travel, so why would you stay with the stock linkage if you can gain more wheel travel and a plusher ride with a aftermarket linkage?

I'm from Canada so if i had to send the shocks back to them it would'nt cost me that much, but i see what you mean if you live in the United States it would cost way more for shipping.

TBD
08-09-2006, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by LT250RMan
TCS has crappy customer service they could'nt even tell me the suspension travel that i would get with +2 standard travel a-arms with their shocks, and plus when i asked them about rear shock linkage they tried telling me that the stock 400ex rear shock linkage is just as good as the ELKA linkage when there is even a review on the elka linkage on the main page of exriders saying that its way better than the stock linkage and the guy was kinda a prick on the phone to me.

ELKA has great customer service and if the valving is off when you buy there shocks they said they would revalve them for no extra charge besides shipping.
You must of caught Tod on an off day because his service is excellent. As for telling you how much travel you will get from your arms he would need more info then just +2" a-arms. Not all builders put the shock mount in the same place on the standard arms. For him to just make a guess wouldn't be like him. That would be a question that the a-arm manufacture would need to answer. I'm not just saying that to defend TCS. I have been building suspension components for over fifteen years and happen to know what it takes to come up with that info.
As for the linkage complaint. You obviouslly take everything you read as the truth. I'll let you in on something. Elka spends a lot of money advertising on this site just as they do with the mags just as a lot of other companys do. That doesn't mean that what is in print is the honest truth.

Chango
08-12-2006, 10:14 PM
TCS customer service bad ???I have never had anything but good results, shocks allway done and shipped at least 2 day before expected

300exboy #15
08-13-2006, 06:21 AM
go with elka they are the best shock i have ever used

400exMO
08-13-2006, 09:39 PM
I agree, elka sells so many shocks because everyone sells them and they sell their product with customer service.

But the piggybacks I bought directly from elka are not near what the valving should be. Elka shocks don't have as much time in preperation as TCS does. I love my elkas and I hope they're significantly better when I get them revalved, but I wish I would have went with TCS first time around.