PDA

View Full Version : wheel spacers

02400exer
08-09-2006, 08:39 AM
I was wondering are wheel spacers good or bad i was thinking about getting a set and i dont know if they are any good

08-09-2006, 06:15 PM
what kind of riding are you doing?

if you are riding MX and clearing doubles, and tripples i wouldnt get them

02400exer
08-09-2006, 06:58 PM
mainly trail and l i jump it every now and then but nothin real big i was thinking about it for a raptor to make it handle better and possibly lower it a little bit

08-09-2006, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by 02400exer
mainly trail and l i jump it every now and then but nothin real big i was thinking about it for a raptor to make it handle better and possibly lower it a little bit
yea thats fine, but you want dont want to be to wide for trails

cchrider
08-09-2006, 09:56 PM
Are you racing xc or anything or just crusing? Because if you are a xc racer or something, being as how rough it is you could break them. But just crusing around and stuff I think they should be fine. And jumping is fine, just not to high.

omega27
08-09-2006, 10:06 PM
If you dont do a bunch of big jumping it should be fine. With wheel spacers on though you can bend an axle easier if you jump. Mine work good in the dunes but they may be different for your riding style.
SOOOOO basically

Like jumping = no spacers

Dont like jumping = spacers

Like four wheelers = buy omega a 440 stroker kit:D

Happy Riding dude!

08-09-2006, 10:14 PM
In the front your better off flipping ur rims because wheel spacers put more stress on the studs.

400exrider707
08-10-2006, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by BlueBlaster555
In the front your better off flipping ur rims because wheel spacers put more stress on the studs.

Your better off doing nothing and saving some cash for extended arms. If you are doing this mod for better handling, then you are getting the exact opposite. Wheel spacers or flipped rims might prevent the quad from tipping easier, however they will make your handling worse. Also flipping rims on an OEM style rim like that is not good either. The inserts that are used for the acorn style lug nuts are only meant to work one way.

02400exer
08-10-2006, 10:19 AM
all right thanks

1ride2for-god
08-10-2006, 11:29 AM
Ya, en oh=NO. Don't buy no flippin wheelspacers. You'll spend more money fixing your quad then you would buying A-Arms. Save and buy A-Arms. It's also not a good idea to extend your axle. If you want to do anything to your axle, make it like an inch or two shorter. This makes it less likely to bend and also gives you more stability. Just my 2 cents man, hope it helps. God bless you gyz.:)

02400exer
08-10-2006, 12:12 PM
how does shortening the axle make a quad more stable

1ride2for-god
08-10-2006, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by 02400exer
how does shortening the axle make a quad more stable

I think that it might give less body roll on the front end. How that happens, ask a tech, because I have no idea. All I know is thaty it works, so use it:D . God bless you man, sorry I couldn't be more of a help.

wilkin250r
08-10-2006, 03:47 PM
There are a lot of people that have NEVER used wheel spacers that will tell you they're a bad idea. Forget them.

Some of the advice on here so far is very good. Wheel spacers have benefits and drawbacks, so they're good for some types of riding and terrain, but not recommended for others.

In wide open and smooth areas (like dunes), spacers work very well. However, if you commonly hit rocks, roots, or objects, those wheel spacers may not be a good idea. You know that feeling when the bars want to twist jerk out of your hands when one wheel hits a rock? It's called feedback, and it will get MUCH worse with wheel spacers on.

They do also put extra stress on your lugs, A-arms, and axle. You're okay catching a little air, but you're not okay catching a LOT of air.

However, besides those aspects, wheel spacers are a terrific way to widen your quad and improve cornering stability at low cost. Sure, aftermarket A-arms and axle are better, but they are also a LOT more expensive.

On a side note, this should have gone in the Suspension forum. ;)