PDA

View Full Version : putting on a new chain.

quads14589
08-09-2006, 08:30 AM
hello i was wondering how hard it is to put on a new chain on a 400ex? i kno u prolly have to ajust some of the tightening from before and wut else will i need to do?

250x_kyle
08-09-2006, 09:14 AM
on a scale of 1 to 10 id say a 2

08-09-2006, 01:05 PM
first you jack the quad up take off the tier loosen the 4 bolts on the swing arm to adjust the carrier so the chain is loose. no sure but might have to take off the front sprocket guard and case saver then you will be Abel to get it off and put the new 1 on:D

PismoLocal
08-09-2006, 01:15 PM
Ya loosen it so that you have a lot of slack in your chain, pull the clip off the masterlink, put your quad in nuetral and pull your chain right off. Take off your case saver put your chain on the front sprocket pull it around the front and rear sprockets and connect the ends of the chain with the new master link, adjust the chain so its within spec, tighten down your bolts on your swinger, put your case saver back on and your done. Its like a 2 on a 1-10 scale of difficulty.

coryatver
08-09-2006, 01:22 PM
I recommend changing the sprockets at the same time.

1. Loosen the 4 swingarm bolts

2. turn the bearing carrier so the chain is as loose as it gets.

3. If it has stock chain break a link and then pull the chain out. If it has aftermarket find the masterlink and remove the masterlink clip and pull the chain off

4. with it in neutral push the new chain around the front sprocket and run it back through and around the back and if it is to long remove some links else install the masterlink and tighten the chain adjusters up and you are good to go.

Wildbrain
08-09-2006, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by 250x_kyle
on a scale of 1 to 10 id say a 2

Way more credit than I would have given......:confused: