PDA

View Full Version : voiding warrentys???

400eXr1d3rZ
08-09-2006, 07:33 AM
what voids a warrenty? motor mods? or just any mod?

08-09-2006, 07:38 AM
the best way to find out is with you're manual or just call up honda or yamaha or whoever and ask them...it will take less than 5 minutes if you cal...

bigbadbrad
08-09-2006, 10:10 AM
it really depends on your dealer, some will take away your warrenty jsut for a pipe and filter, others will let you do more, you would have to talk to your dealer, some say that racing , even play racing will voidit, i have been told buy some that if you ride "hard" and they know you do they won't cover your warrenty

bwamos
08-09-2006, 11:12 AM
On honda's for example.. changing pretty much anything that has to do with the motor will void your warranty. pipe, jetting, cam, etc..

What I would do is do whatever you want, (like a pipe, filter, jet combo) and jstu keep the stockers. If you have a problem, put all of the stock parts back on before you take it in. ;)

nosliw
08-09-2006, 11:16 AM
here's how it works

if whatever you've done to your bike caused or indirectly caused the problem, then it's your fault and you pay for it.

if you have a pipe and filter, and you burnted a piston, that's your fault because you didn't jet it right.

if you have a masterlink on your chain and it slips off and splits your case, it's your fault because you didn't secure it right.

so on and so forth. most dealers are understanding, but put yourself in their shoes for once.

nosliw
08-09-2006, 11:18 AM
also, about puting it back to stock for a dealer visit.... think about it.

you have to pay to play. if you know what you did caused a problem, fix it or pay someone to fix it.

all your doing is costing the dealers more money, then they are more and more skeptical towards people who are honest and what's wrong with their bike isn't their fault. you see what i'm saying?

it's really a vicious circle that screws everyone.

CHEVYZ
08-09-2006, 11:20 AM
Like said, pretty much any mods at all will void it. I know it really isn't right, but if you have the stock parts you can always put it back to stock and bring it in.:ermm:

Iliketogofast
08-09-2006, 04:44 PM
Well nosliw, dealers are always going to screw people whether people screw them or not. They are in it for the money, and the less people's bikes they have to fix for free the more money they get.

08-09-2006, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by nosliw

you have to pay to play. if you know what you did caused a problem, fix it or pay someone to fix it.

all your doing is costing the dealers more money, then they are more and more skeptical towards people who are honest and what's wrong with their bike isn't their fault. you see what i'm saying?

Screw that.I want my bike fixed for free.I don't make money to give it away if I don't have to.

440exnacsracer
08-09-2006, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Iliketogofast
Well nosliw, dealers are always going to screw people whether people screw them or not. They are in it for the money, and the less people's bikes they have to fix for free the more money they get.

actually the dealers could care less whether it is warrantied or not, that is up to the manufactuer. the dealer gets paid either way, by the customer, or if it is under warranty, the manufactuer pay for all the parts, and even the labor for the fix. actually, some of the time the dealer will profit more from a warranty fix

nosliw
08-09-2006, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by James400EX
Screw that.I want my bike fixed for free.I don't make money to give it away if I don't have to.

and that's fine. being man isn't appealing to some

nosliw
08-09-2006, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Iliketogofast

do you think they are more or less incline to screw people over if they have a lot more to do "under warrenty"

DieselBoy
08-09-2006, 05:56 PM
the dealer receives money for any warrenty work, it's no loss to them except time, but they get paid anyway. Most dealer's around here screw you hard and if you don't know what they're talking about they'll take you for everything you got. Oh, and the craftsmanship of their work is rushed, and quite poor.

I would imagine your warrenty would be immediately voided with any engine modifications. Some are flexible, though..

Get every last penny out of your warrenty, I say...

GPracer2500
08-09-2006, 07:22 PM
Warranties are regulated by federal law. The relevent legeslation is the Magnuson-Moss Warranty - Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act of 1975. Among other things, it says that a written warranty can't be conditioned upon the use of a specific brand of parts or service. What that means is that you can modify your ATV with aftermarket parts and it doesn't automatically void your warranty. If something fails then the provider of the warranty (i.e. the dealer and the manufacture) can't deny your warranty unless they can prove that the parts you used caused the failure.

If you put a aftermarket CDI with no rev limiter on your quad and your shocks blow out then the dealer is going to have to prove that your CDI caused the shocks to blow before they can deny your warranty. On the other hand, if your valve train explodes into pieces then don't expect the dealer to warranty it--it wouldn't be hard to make a strong case that the CDI caused the problem.

Basically, you can mod your ATV. Your warranty is still valid for any failures that were not caused by your mods. If your dealer gives you gruff about your mods then educate yourself about the warranty laws and demand they follow the law. If they refuse then file a complaint with the FTC to begin getting it handled....

Architects
08-10-2006, 04:13 AM
^ great info. Thanks

QuadJunkies
08-10-2006, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
Warranties are regulated by federal law. The relevent legeslation is the Magnuson-Moss Warranty - Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act of 1975. Among other things, it says that a written warranty can't be conditioned upon the use of a specific brand of parts or service. What that means is that you can modify your ATV with aftermarket parts and it doesn't automatically void your warranty. If something fails then the provider of the warranty (i.e. the dealer and the manufacture) can't deny your warranty unless they can prove that the parts you used caused the failure.

If you put a aftermarket CDI with no rev limiter on your quad and your shocks blow out then the dealer is going to have to prove that your CDI caused the shocks to blow before they can deny your warranty. On the other hand, if your valve train explodes into pieces then don't expect the dealer to warranty it--it wouldn't be hard to make a strong case that the CDI caused the problem.

Basically, you can mod your ATV. Your warranty is still valid for any failures that were not caused by your mods. If your dealer gives you gruff about your mods then educate yourself about the warranty laws and demand they follow the law. If they refuse then file a complaint with the FTC to begin getting it handled....

Then the Manufactuers dont follow the laws all the time either.we dealt with that 1st hand. I wont mention which one :uhoh: but they werent going ot warrenrty a wrist pin issue cause it didnt have the STOCK tires on it or stock handlebars just to name the few .....

I know the dealerships vary and for most they still to the general rules of once you mod the motor it voids the warrenty. Even after the fact, my dealership warrentied my Tranny the 1st time around even though the motor has been bored. I know that most ofthe other shops would not have done that ,but they have always been good to us and we try to do the same .

We just bought a nw machine and it seized up after 2 tanks fo gas... found out that the FACTORY caused this by sending us a Carb full of debris from Gunk left in it during assembly at the factory! I got a good mechanic who took care of us and will get new motor/parts ...that could have easily turned into being twisted at something WE DONE VERY simply but the shop we took it to done the right thing :)

Im glad you posted that regulation. That might come in handy for anyone who is getting screwed by warrenites that dont seem to cover CRAP!
If your obviously modding the pi$$ out of it, I can see why they would not cover the warrenties, but some of the reasons IMO are just plain BS

bwamos
08-10-2006, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by nosliw

Actually I was stating that for indirect problems. I'm as honest as they come.

I ran pipe/filter/rejet on my 300ex in warranty. I had to take it back in for warranty work due to bad bearings in my spindle. I put it back to stock because the dealer told me that changing anything, as little as the jetting, would void the "entire" warranty. It didn't have to be directly related.

If I put on a pipe and burnt a valve or piston, I'd eat it. But if the crank bearings went out in the first 90 days then I'd expect them to cover it. Adding a pipe isn't going to make youre crank bearings go bad. But they would still void the warranty covering it.

I realize that legally they can't do that.. but why deal with a lawsuit and $1000's of expenses to get that $200 repair? ;) I'd rather just head it off at the pass and not give them any reason to make a stink.

Also warranty work gives the dealers more money.. not less. They get reimbursed for parts and labor by the manufacturer. I'm supprised any of them fight it at all.

GPracer2500
08-10-2006, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
...Also warranty work gives the dealers more money.. not less. They get reimbursed for parts and labor by the manufacturer. I'm supprised any of them fight it at all.

They fight it because it doesn't make them more money. Usually warranty work represents a negative opportunity cost for them. The problem comes in how the manufactures decide how much some warranty service should cost. They use a giant list that specifies how much time it should take to do any given repair. Your average shop monkey can't even come close to doing it in that amount of time. In every case I've been aware of, as long as the dealer has paying customers lined up for their machanics time then warranty work is not what they want...

QuadJunkies
08-10-2006, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
They fight it because it doesn't make them more money. Usually warranty work represents a negative opportunity cost for them. The problem comes in how the manufactures decide how much some warranty service should cost. They use a giant list that specifies how much time it should take to do any given repair. Your average shop monkey can't even come close to doing it in that amount of time. In every case I've been aware of, as long as the dealer has paying customers lined up for their machanics time then warranty work is not what they want... exactly what they told me as well.

440exnacsracer
08-13-2006, 07:07 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by GPracer2500
[B]Usually warranty work represents a negative opportunity cost for them.

but the opportunity cost of not repairing the unit can come from negative word of mouth from pissed off customers. at my dealership, we fix things that should be fixed to satisfy rightful and honest customers. granted if someone brings in a quad with snorkels and water in the airbox and wants their motor replaced, you are hard pressed to make them happy. there are people out there and dealers alike that dont care to make others happy, they just want to make more money, or in the customers case, save money. if a dealer refuses to warranty a part that you think should be, get your information together and call the manufactuer directly. your dealer should be able to give you a number to call

QuadJunkies
08-13-2006, 07:33 PM
unless the manufactor blows you off too... Or.. They may refer you back to the dealership Been there...Done that ...:o

DieselBoy
08-13-2006, 08:35 PM
you wonna talk ****ty return/warrenty policies try HOME DEPOT!

QuadJunkies
08-13-2006, 08:37 PM
LOL!! I work retail so I know how that works! :p

440exnacsracer
08-15-2006, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
unless the manufactor blows you off too... Or.. They may refer you back to the dealership Been there...Done that ...:o

i bet i could guess the manufactuer in one try, sounds like a similar scenario i was in.....doesnt start with a "P" does it:D
in that case, its time to start calling a lawyer if your serious enough about it lol

QuadJunkies
08-15-2006, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by 440exnacsracer
i bet i could guess the manufactuer in one try, sounds like a similar scenario i was in.....doesnt start with a "P" does it:D
in that case, its time to start calling a lawyer if your serious enough about it lol

LOL!!

My lips are sealed... :o :p

08-16-2006, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
LOL!!

My lips are sealed... :o :p

Polaris!??