PDA

View Full Version : best electric guitar to start on?

redlineranger
08-08-2006, 09:28 PM
they started a guitar class at my school this year. theres 2 or 3 kick a** players and the band teacher knows how to play a good bit himself so they started the class. what im asking is what the best electric guitar to start out on? i'm not gonna waste my money on the cheap walmart or target brand, i know how crappy they are(my brother broke a string on his in like 5 minutes from normal use). i was looking at the Squiers(basically a fender) and he said if i got a squier to get the Japanese one. whats the difference between the jap and american squier's? so im lookin at Squier as being one of the options. so im just asking for other good brand's ect.

also what are the easiest songs to learn(once you can get to where you can play ect). my dreams are to be able to play all of Guns N Roses stuff, def leppard, all of that old stuff you know. and newer stuff like Avenged Sevenfold, Buckcherry, Hinder ect.

thanks in advance.

IOWAracer
08-08-2006, 09:58 PM
Dean playmate my dad owns the largest Dealership for Dean guitars in the US #1 seller in the country and that is what he recamends to people that are starting out!!

enduro400rider
08-08-2006, 10:51 PM
i bought a squier bullet for my first guitar. its only got 2 pick ups but i sounds great for how much i payed for it. the g-string wont stay in tune for more than a day or two, thats about the only problem i have had with it, im sure if i put a new string on it and adjusted it, it would probly be fine. as far as learning stuff you can learn anything. i took lessons for about 2 years. i cant read music and i didnt want to. i learned off of tabs (much easier) and my teacher taught me anything i wanted to know. a few examples that were pretty easy for me. Stacy's mom (really easy), pink floyd wish you were here. green day i walk alone(cant remeber the real name) they were all pretty easy to learn in a day or two.

sakirocket28
08-08-2006, 11:19 PM
I started out on a fender strat 10 yrs ago. still play it to this day

08-09-2006, 01:22 AM
Fender squires are nice for the money

Prey
08-09-2006, 08:26 AM
guitars are like sneakers, there are many brands with different intents of use like skate sneakers, running shoes, and cross trainers, (but they are all sneakers none the less) no brand is necessarily better than another, its all about fit and what you want your sneaker to do.

i think you need to go to a reputable music store, let them know how much you have to spend (also remembering you will need an amp, cord and case) and what type of music you want to play.

also, you really need to hold the guitar, see if it fits you,

the basic difference in electric guitars is # of pick-ups and location, type of wood used for the body and neck, how the neck is connected to the body and the shape of and tuner layout on the headstock. all this stuff effects the sound type and quality of the guitar how it holds a tune and minimizing warping

outside of those things, price from there is all about component quality and non-necessary features (like my guitar has pearl inlay)

with that said, fender in particular is a big fan of classic sounding guitars and while they make a very nice guitar (and the do make guitars with a more modern sound), a classic sound is probably not what you want to play the music you listed.

what i am trying to say, DONT go into the store and knowing you need this brand and model, get help from someone in selecting the right model for you (and this is a very good reason not to ebay or buy online unless you have expierence and know what you want), Ibanez, fender, Dean, Gibson all make very nice guitars along with a few other brands

also, stay away from tab music, take the classes learn to read music, the classes are free at school and when all is said and done, you will be much happier and a better player for learning to read sheet music

Pvt. Maggot
08-09-2006, 11:34 AM
If your going to buy a guitar to learn on, get the nicest guitar you can, if your looking at fenders, stick to fender and not squire..I have a 1985 Fender stratocaster i'm selling, most beautiful playing guitar i've played yet, If your intrested pm me and i'll send you some pictures. Smart man for staying away from first acts, you'd be better off slapping some strings on a peice of 2x4 hah..

redlineranger
08-09-2006, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Pvt. Maggot
If your going to buy a guitar to learn on, get the nicest guitar you can, if your looking at fenders, stick to fender and not squire..I have a 1985 Fender stratocaster i'm selling, most beautiful playing guitar i've played yet, If your intrested pm me and i'll send you some pictures. Smart man for staying away from first acts, you'd be better off slapping some strings on a peice of 2x4 hah..

lol no sh*t. them first act's suck. my bro's got one and it took me an hour to tune that thing for him. i mean dang tuning a guitar really isnt that hard but that thing just down right sucks. anyways i would love to have a fender strat, but there kinda out of my price range. like i knew i was gonna have the guitar class this year so i was savin money for that, then a job came along and enough money to get the yfz so that was a no brainer right there. but my parents told me they'd get the guitar and amp for me as long as i keep my grades up this year in school, and i know that there not gonna like the price on a good guitar and amp.

XCAdam89
08-09-2006, 02:17 PM
Forget squiers. I had one, lasted about 5 months, and then I bought a Jackson DKMG Dinky. It's a huge improvement. For the money, You can't beat schecter or ibanez. I hated my squier though, the input jack failed, the pickups were terrible....ect

08-09-2006, 02:48 PM
its not like hes going to spend $400 on his 1st guitar

just buy a fender squire for $199.00

redlineranger
08-10-2006, 06:07 PM
well unfortunately, i get to my guitar class at school today to find out he cant allow electric guitars...there are other classes around it, and he said with every one on an acoustic it will be loud as well. well this really pisses me off because i really dont care for acoustic. i know that i can learn on it and then buy an electric. but i dont have the $$$, because if i've seen the prices and know for a fact that a good guitar is not cheap. so i guess what im asking now is what is a good acoustic guitar. like a fender or something? i know there guitars are good, like whats a cheaper acoustic fender run(new that is)

warrior350x
08-10-2006, 09:43 PM
tell what forget those brands and buy my Jackson its new one of the best pm if your intrested pm

Honda_Stuntin
08-10-2006, 10:38 PM
get a fender dg-10 acustic

enduro400rider
08-10-2006, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by redlineranger
well unfortunately, i get to my guitar class at school today to find out he cant allow electric guitars...there are other classes around it, and he said with every one on an acoustic it will be loud as well. well this really pisses me off because i really dont care for acoustic. i know that i can learn on it and then buy an electric. but i dont have the $$$, because if i've seen the prices and know for a fact that a good guitar is not cheap. so i guess what im asking now is what is a good acoustic guitar. like a fender or something? i know there guitars are good, like whats a cheaper acoustic fender run(new that is)

an acoustic is better to learn on any way. yes it is harder to learn on but then this way you will basically force yourself to be better and when you play an electric it will be like nothing. an acountic is harder to play because the stings and "tighter" its harder to hold them down IMO. then when you pick up an electric it will feel like nothing