PDA

View Full Version : 400's

redexrider4290
08-08-2006, 06:08 PM
well i planning on getting a new quad i am moveing up from a 250ex.I really think i have found the limits on it. My brother has a 400ex and i really like it i just think i want something with a little more power.(his bike is stock however).

I think i have narowed it down to theese quads. (would love a 450 but can't afford one so goin with a used 400)

Z/kfx. dvx. 400ex

i like the way the ex feels but i think i just want more power and maybe a little better suspention but love how stable it is thats really important to me.

I do a lot of trail riding and some kinda open area stuff.

The most important things to me in order from most important to least are
1. POWER speed doesn;t mean to much to me i mean i want to be able to go fast if i want but the most important thing to me is RIP-SNORTIN POWER lol. I LOVE to wheelie. i want something that will reach for the sky when i want
2. Suspention i dont jump to much but i want to be able to if i want and i want something that will soak up hittin bumps and stuff.
3.Parts. I'm sure im gona mod it and i want something worth moding and i want something i can find parts for pretty easy and cheap.
4. LOOKS (self explanitory) i want somethin i can make look pretty good (pretty much anything I know)
5. MORE POWER:macho

Thanks you guys for any help you guys always pull through for me when i need info. thanks again

pray for Jones

quads14589
08-08-2006, 06:20 PM
go with the z. or the 400ex more reliable.

redlineranger
08-08-2006, 06:23 PM
i've seen this topic time and time again, and people that went with the z/kfx/dvx did not like it. not just on here, im talking from things ive seen in person. the 400ex is old school. SOHC and air cooled. but i just like the feel of it better than the other 400 triplets. but the best thing for you to do is to is ride them all. cant depend on our word to make up your mind what you want. you have to do that yourself ya know what i mean?

suck my pipe
08-08-2006, 10:30 PM
A full system exhaust and aftermarket airfilter realy wakes up a stok 400ex.

LittleMissE
08-08-2006, 10:59 PM
I love my dvx but of corse its not stock)!! But try and ride a z, kfx, or dvx before you deside b/c I know that the older years of the z and dvx ride exacally the same b/c they are the same with different plastic. But when my dad first got his dvx about 3 summers ago I rode it and didnt like it at all b/c it was way taller then my warrior and didnt like the power. Later that summer my warrior broke while we were camping for a long weekend so my only choice of quads was a 250ex(I rode on the trips with everyone) or the dvx..... so one morning ride my dad rode my uncles z and I rode the dvx and starting liking it before you know it I was riding it any shot I had so then I got mine and it got modded to what it is now!!! Sorry long story!!

bansheeguy
08-09-2006, 07:39 AM
i got an 01 440 ex for sale? make an offer topend-bottom end is modded, new tires,pipe.extended axl and swingarm.

08-09-2006, 09:21 AM
The 400 EX is dead on reliable.

Lots of aftermarket stuff for it.

I'd give the power edge to the Z clones, but for trail riding, the EX has all the power you need to kill yourself.

I'm 6'4"and 250 lbs, and it gets my fat carcass around pretty good.

Front end comes right up any time I want.

Suspension is decent, all you need for trails. I don't jump much. Time in the air is time spent spinning your wheels.

08-09-2006, 09:26 AM
if you are comfortable on the 400ex, then you won't be comfortable on the z/dvx. you could be after some adjustment. there is not that ,uch difference in speed and suspension that won't be made up by you being comfortable.

PismoLocal
08-09-2006, 10:17 AM
Imo you cant go wrong with a 426ex or a 440ex with all aftermarket suspension. Look on the forums and on ebay and you could probably find one some where around 4k.

redexrider4290
08-10-2006, 10:31 AM
I never liked the 400ex until i started riding it more at first i always thought it had no power then i got used to it and now i like it i mean i dont love it or anything it feels kinda stiff to me and ive herd that pipeing a 400ex doesn't do nearly as much for it as when you pipe a z. And i heard the suspention is alot better on the Z. As far as stability if i get a Z im sure im gona put a wider axle on it and maybe even A-arms. I reallly think im leaning more to the Z from what i hear they sound like they are a little more high-performance than the ex.

and i know the ex is great for the trails but i don't really ride that many trails and when i am ridin trails it's like slow tricky technical stuff its more like pretty open trails you can move pretty quick through.

I've been looking at different forums about this and the Z seems to win every shootout between them.

and i always hear that 400ex's are reliable but my brother has a 04 that since he's got it the starter went out,the back brakes broke, A line runing into the engine(not sure what it was) came out and a bunch of other stuff (but that stuff was his fault).

I like the ex but i think i'm probobly gona go for the Z.

but i would still like to hear other peoples opinions on this.

Thanks

08-10-2006, 10:35 AM
ther really is not that much difference between the two...z owners will say there is, but i have been on both, dragged both and such and there really is not that much of a difference...it is all what you feel more comfortable on...

Ruby Soho
08-10-2006, 10:42 AM
if you trail ride and such, id geta 400ex. reliability is more important in that catagory.

WhiteZrider
08-10-2006, 10:51 AM
I would get a Z. Hondas are a little more reliabe but, Z is faster, liquid cooled, honda 400ex are just out dated

PismoLocal
08-10-2006, 11:58 AM
What terrain do you ride on?