PDA

View Full Version : Uni Filter...

WheelieMan4
08-08-2006, 04:40 PM
Ive had a K&N for a while and sorta forgot how to clean a foam filter...lol. I sprayed it with PJ1 cleaner stuff, let it sit for 15 mins. the rinsed it off fromt the inside out. It was still dirty, so i sprayed some more cleaner on and waited again. Rinsed it off again and it got better, but there is still black spots...:confused: :confused: :confused:

And one more thing, those 2 prong things on the bottom of the airbox, they made a couple indents in the filter pretty bad. Is there anything to do about that? Thanks alot..

GPracer2500
08-08-2006, 05:42 PM
Keep cleaning until it's clean. I've never used the PJ1 stuff so I couldn't say what process works for that. I like UNI's cleaner--works really well (I don't like their filter oil though). I spray it on and work it into the filter, then rinse. Repeating two or at the most three times has always gotten mine totally clean.

I'd cut those tangs out. They're only needed for the stock filter. You don't want them cutting a hole in the UNI without you realizing it in time....

WheelieMan4
08-08-2006, 07:40 PM
Ok that sounds good...How come you dont need them in there? And what should I use to cut them out with, thanks!

GPracer2500
08-08-2006, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by WheelieMan4
Ok that sounds good...How come you dont need them in there? And what should I use to cut them out with, thanks!

Those tangs are to hold the back edge of the stock filter. The UNI is longer, wider, but also lighter--it doen't need any extra support beyond the clamp that holds it on.

I bet some big, quality scissors would take care of them. A heated knife should also make short work of it...

08-08-2006, 07:53 PM
I had the same problem with my UNI. I just took some really sharp dikes and cut them off. I took about three cuts to get them down as low as I did. And by the way they are needed for the stock filter so it fits in there securly but I havent had a problem with mine coming loose so it should be fine.

WheelieMan4
08-08-2006, 08:10 PM
Ok sounds good...thanks alot guys!

WheelieMan4
08-08-2006, 08:50 PM
Just went out and tried to cut them, but they just snapped right off right on the bottom...So I gues that works just as well! Thanks again.

stalefish_132
08-08-2006, 08:55 PM
i love my UNI it works awesome, i just rince it out with gas twice and then oil it well wiht 2 stroke oil. never had a problem
;)