PDA

View Full Version : 450r....more power!!!

B450r
08-08-2006, 03:38 PM
I have a 05 450r with a pro circuit slip on......and dyno jets.........

what else can u do to give it more power......iam keeping the stock filter on and i have to keep the airbox lid on for certain places i ride....

THANX

Scro
08-08-2006, 03:45 PM
You could do a cam, piston, or both. But the airbox lid is really holding you back. Atleast drill a couple holes in the lid. It would allow more airflow, but still deflect mud and such.

B450r
08-08-2006, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by bama450r
You could do a cam, piston, or both. But the airbox lid is really holding you back. Atleast drill a couple holes in the lid. It would allow more airflow, but still deflect mud and such.

i was goin to drill a couple holes but i never got around to it.....

and i was thinkin bout getting a wiseco 4 stroke piston kit.......u no how much they r.......where can i get em for cheap....

Abrannan19
08-08-2006, 04:55 PM
im my case with the HRC and everything in my sig..what elese other then an exhaust could I do for more power..would a piston give me more power?

rancher350rider
08-08-2006, 05:53 PM
i need more power too so im geting a full exhaust,no lid,filter,a cam and im geting a 480 kit or sending my motor to ATP racing

DirtDevilBT
08-09-2006, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by B450r
i have to keep the airbox lid on for certain places i ride....
THANX

PM C&D racing for an airbox outwear that covers the openning when you remove your lid. I have one and it's awesome. After I ride in the sand, I have a puddle of sand on it, an extra filtering ability. After I wash my quad, I have a puddle of water on it, keeping the filter dry. At the same time, you can breathe through it like it wasn't there.

Highly recommend when a lid is needed but more power is wanted.

Digsy
08-10-2006, 02:28 PM
K&N extreme powerlid with outerwear - keeps the dust n dirt out of mine real well ...

DirtDevilBT
08-10-2006, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Digsy
K&N extreme powerlid with outerwear - keeps the dust n dirt out of mine real well ...

lol, do you also run a filter on the inside?

$100 vs. $12 :huh

Digsy
08-11-2006, 03:47 AM
Yup ... another K&N with outerwear ... the sand where I ride in Qatar is very fine and very dusty. Storms kick up out of nowhere and pack everything with sand. If I want my airbox lid off and be sure that I am covered, then thats the way for me - anyway, its just another option and yer man there didnt mention that he was on a budget ... ;)

You can get powerlids from C&D - I got a very good quote, actually it was less than $100, but picked one up while I was in Dallas so I didnt have to ship it.

450ERRRRRR!
08-11-2006, 11:34 AM
or you could just slip over the lid with a hole in it a old pair of pantie hose. It works too!!

Digsy
08-11-2006, 03:22 PM
Hah! love it ... innovation at its finest ....

Shame about the color, but fugn great idea .....

D'ya think it is too late to get my money back on the power-lid?

:p

Chango
08-12-2006, 10:25 PM
Athena 480

GPracer2500
08-12-2006, 11:17 PM
IMO, a higher compression piston and a new cam are almost mandatory performance mods for an 04/05 TRX450R. The stock 10.5:1 is quite low for that class of machine and the stock cam is very mild.

There are lots of piston options. But just for example, a JE 11.5:1 stock bore piston requires no boring (deglaze only--you can do that yourself) and shouldn't require race fuel. Add in a Hotcams cam you've got a reliable, economical, easy to install engine package that has the performance I think the quad should have come with from the get-go.

If you look at the specs for the 06' TRX, any year YFZ, and the LT-R you'll notice they all have around 12:1 compression--significantly higher compression than the 04/05 TRX. Even the very first year of the TRX's basic engine design (the 2002 CRF450R) had an 11.5:1 piston. IMO, Honda went too far in detuning the first generation of the TRX450R. I don't know what they were thinking....