PDA

View Full Version : Sparks Silencer Leaking Air?

d3ktrix
08-08-2006, 12:17 PM
I bought a used Sparks pipe off another member for my 450. The pipe is in great condition, can tell it has some hours on it tho.
My question is, the front of the silencer leaks air really bad. There are 3 star head bolts on the front of the silencer which are all tight but where the large insert that is attached to the header goes into the silencer, it leaks like crazy.
The joint in the middle of the pipe is all good tho, its the acutal can that leaks.

It pushes out so much air, that if I'm sitting on the bike wearing shorts I can feel the air on the back of my leg.

Does anyone know if theres a seal in there that needs to be replaced or something? Or is it normal? (Doubt that)

Pipe still added great power to my bike but I feel that this is hindering it some and probably messing with my jetting some.
I think it might be causing me to run a smaller main jet then I should need with my mods.
Jetting:

175k MJ
HRC needle 3rd clip
#50k Slow Jet
2.5 turns on the A/F Screw
HRC lid & Cam
Stock air filter
600ft elevation
85-100F wheather

175k MJ sounds kind of lean for my mods doesn't it? Bike runs cool tho, great power, fan never comes on.
180MJ had no top and power and would cut out at high RPM, 185MJ would cut out at 1/2-3/4 throttle. (Fake rev limiter)

Wondering if the leaking pipe could cause me to need a to small of a MJ.

Thanks

Johnny B
08-08-2006, 02:44 PM
my sparks x6 leaked air but it was at the end of the can, where the turn down comes out. it wasent too bad so i sealed it up with high temp silicone. i dont know if it would work with a huge leak tho.