PDA

View Full Version : What air filter?

oldyeller
08-07-2006, 04:49 PM
I'm thinking about replacing the stock air box on our Eton Viper and going with a k&N or uni style clamp on filter...First will I see much power difference (I know it will need re jetted)and we ride in very dusty conditions so I'm concerned that the filter do a good job keeping the dirt out...All input appreciated :D

wvspeedfreak
08-07-2006, 05:18 PM
We have a Uni clamp on on our Kasea and if it is really dusty I put an Outerwear on it.As far as the power increase,I can't say.We installed ours when we upgraded to a larger carb,pipe,etc.So there were other variables.I have heard that if you put a clamp on filter on the stock carb that you need to have the jet seat drilled to accept a larger jet because the stock one will not allow you to run a large enough main jet.I have no actual experience on that....it is just something I heard.

bigdaddy
08-07-2006, 06:29 PM
IMO dont use a K&N if you like your motor, stick with a 2 stage Uni and keep it oiled good.

markvette
08-07-2006, 06:53 PM
its not the jet seat you have to drill. its the float needle seat. what happens is the stock carb needs a strong air signal, putting a aftermarket filter on causes you to loose this. you then have to go up to a very big main and rejet every time the temp changes a few degrees. if you do finally get the jetting right and have a mildly modded motor it will suck the float bowl dry at WOT. thay is why the float needle seat has to be drilled bigger. you do not have any of these problems with a bigger aftermarket carb. my advice is do not do unless you like rejetting a lot.

Mark

oldyeller
08-09-2006, 04:21 PM
Mark would a bigger carb work ok with the rest of the motor basically stock?....I'm going to try the Uni filter with the stock carb just for the heck of it.If its a pain in the butt I'll just put the stock filter back on for now...I'm going to put in some reeds and a clutch kit and remove the oil injection.Maybe throw our old milled head back on it too.:D

markvette
08-10-2006, 03:04 PM
yes a 20mm would be the ticket. heck give it a try with the stock one, i made it work on bubbas 99 eton before i went to an aftermarket carb but it was a pain to keep it running right. if you are running a 90 main you will probably have to go up to about a 120, i had a 130 in bubbas at one time. i couldnt tell much from the pics of your head but give it a try again too. good luck

Mark

QuadJunkies
08-10-2006, 11:56 PM
I agre with Markvette,we have done this the 1st time around before we done alot of mods , Id go with another Carb. these things get rejetted enough as it is !:scary: :p