PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a 05-06 450R

BlackBearHunter
08-07-2006, 03:18 PM
For starters my name is Dave, and I would like to thank anyone that takes the time to read this forum.
I'm not new to riding, but I have never owned my own quad before. And after riding quite a few, I guess that it was just natural to like Hondas. I have a bunch of buddies that like to go down to the dunes and race around for the weekend, but since I don't have a quad, trike or bike, it's just a little tough to keep up with them in my '98 4runner.
I've done some reading and asked some questions before, but basically I was hoping to find out what the major differences were between an 05 450R and an 06 450R. I've heard that on the 06's and newer models that there have been some slight modifications to cams, compression and sprockets.
If there weren't any differences then I was hoping to find a good deal on an 05, put an hrc, some nerf bars and buy a good helmet and call it good. But if I'm going to spend the money on something like that and there is a noticeable difference, then I was going to look for a good deal on an 06.
Oh, one more thing, what is the difference in a TRX450ER, TRX450R, TRX450R5? Once again, thank you for your time, and cheers to fast, safe riding.
Dave

cals400ex
08-07-2006, 06:40 PM
the 04 and 05 model years are the same. in 06 they made changes. the E in "ER" stands for electric start. in 06 they put electric start on the 450's. in 04/05, they were kick start. in 04/05 they had 10.5:1 compression ratio, a less aggressive cam, kick start, and a very tall first gear. in 06 they have 12:1 compression, a little more aggressive cam, electric start, and a more user friendly gear ratio. you can change the sprockets around to have a shorter first gear but then your top speed will be a little less. if that doesn't matter, then it isnt' an issue for you. they actually changed the bore and stroke in 06 as well. they reduced the stroke and increased the bore size. so, the 04/05's are actually like strokers compared to the 06. the 06's will be a little faster because their head does flow more from the factory, the little more aggressive camshaft, and the higher compression piston. however, if you are into speed you will want to change the camshaft to a better grind no matter what year you have.

trx400exxracer
08-07-2006, 07:05 PM
get the 2006 the er is electric start and it is pretty nice if you arent racing but if you are racing XC you might need to make a few mods to it to make it start better but there is a big diff between the 05-06 i would go ahead and get the 2006

i love mine:D

DirtDevilBT
08-07-2006, 09:19 PM
If the other vehicles you have ridden were kick start models then I would suggest getting the kick start 06. If you aren't doing trails that involve technical hills where stalling is a possiblilty, then kicking it won't be a problem. Kicking on a hill sucks.

If you can get an 04-05 for a good price you can use the extra money for your gear and some hop up stuff, the power is still there, just a little slower than the 06.