PDA

View Full Version : Quad Jerks

yamaha1470
08-24-2002, 06:28 AM
When im riding in any gear and then i give it no gas and roll and then when u get back on the throttle it will jerk and jump when u first give it gas. Its not smooth at all. it only jumps when u go from no throttle to giving it throtle and its annoying. what could it be?

Thanks

Sparks425Ex
08-24-2002, 07:10 AM
It could be that you have alot of power in your quad.

I don't really understand what you are asking.

300exryder
08-24-2002, 08:56 AM
my 300ex does the same thing. I think you are talking about the chain stretching and getting really tight when it is loose. I can feel and hear my quad snap forward when hitting the gas from a standstill/slow roll. I am almost positive it is the chain -- and yes it is adjusted correctly. Maybe it is time for a new chain.

bansheeguy77
08-24-2002, 09:08 AM
is it only when its cold? cause then ur quads just cold mine does it to...or it could be ur chain is messed up...jetting could be off also

NOS EX300
08-24-2002, 09:33 AM
i have a 300 ex and when i ajusted the chain i have a 180-200lbs person on the quad then make sure it has 2 " of movment. Only becasue if you ajust the chain then sit on it you wil see the chain get so tight it looks like it want to explode. Try this!

08-24-2002, 09:47 AM
NOS EX300

you adjust your chain way too loose man ..

yamaha1470
08-24-2002, 09:58 AM
well my quad is totally stock. has stock jettin and the chain is at the adjustment it came with and seems to be right. It does it warm or cold.

Its hard to explain whats happening but i dont know any other way to say it. Its just when u first get on the throttle from no throttle the quad will all of a sudden jump instead of the power coming on smooth. I just hope its normal

R-Crazy
08-24-2002, 10:06 AM
are you popping your clutch?

dave

NOS EX300
08-24-2002, 10:54 AM
what will happen if your chain is set too loose! mine is set to 1 3/4" with me on the bike. if i set it like in the manual once i get on the bike the chain makes a binding sound like it is going to snap. witch must be hard on the bearing in the tranny

yamaha1470
08-24-2002, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by 300ex rules
are you popping your clutch?

dave

No but thats exactly what it feels like. when u first give it gas it feels like the clutch was just engaged.

300exryder
08-24-2002, 08:46 PM
NOS -- the chain thing isnt a problem for me -- but i dont have 2" of slack when someone is sitting on it. I can sit on it and reach over and get maybe an inch and a half or so. Im sure it is adjusted right but im just a little rough. the 300 is underpowered for my skill. Being spoiled by reverse -- im thinking of going up to a raptor. A buddy has one and i think it is better than the 400ex FOR MY TYPE OF RIDING. It has plenty of power and reverse. I have had nothing but good luck with yamaha and not much worse with honda but i have had a few problems. (nothing big)

Sick0
08-25-2002, 09:34 AM
:huh :huh :huh

08-25-2002, 12:24 PM
when you aren't on the gas your engine compression creates engine braking.. where the engine slows the quad. the bottom section of the chain will tighten and the top will gain slack. when yu hit the gas again the motor has to pull the slack out of the top before it will accel. this pull before the slack goes away is whats causeing your jump or jerk.. just get use to it cause theres no way to get rid of it unless your not adjusting your chain right

300exryder
08-26-2002, 07:08 AM
Exactly what SMA416 said!!!!!

Thats what i was trying to describe -- good thing we have knowledgeable mechanics in this forum!

VarmintHunter
08-26-2002, 11:39 AM
Its probably because of the pump on the stock 400EX carb. The 400EX has a special pump built into it that gives an extra shot of fuel straight into the intake. The pump is like a squirt gun. You have to release the throttle to refill the pump before you can shoot again. The pump does not rely on air flow to dispense the fuel.

This is how you can flood your engine even if it isn't running. Just a few dabs on the throttle and you've injected an ounce or two of raw fuel into you cylinder head. Then the fuel seeps down into the motor and contaminates your oil!

mxracer08
08-26-2002, 05:58 PM
hey 300exryder, i strongly suggest not getting a raptor. I know at least 5-6 people who have gotten raptors and they have been nothing but junk for all of them, ie- tranny probs, motor probs, and just about anything else you can think of. Just a suggestion tho

08-26-2002, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by 300exryder
Exactly what SMA416 said!!!!!

Thats what i was trying to describe -- good thing we have knowledgeable mechanics in this forum!
Thanks...in the amost 2000 post on this site i have i finally got some respect.

And the accelorator pump would coause a bog before it would cause a jerk or jump