PDA

View Full Version : MSR Clutch Perch/Lever

WheelieMan4
08-07-2006, 08:59 AM
My buddy just got a MSR clutch perch and lever for his 450r. But at the same time he got a new clutch cable. His lever is so easy to pull in now and seems so much smoother. Im just wondering if it is because of just the new perch and lever or if the cable is what helped so much? Thanks alot...

yernkie
08-07-2006, 09:29 AM
I just put an MSR clutch and perch lever on my 01 400EX and it was the best $30 I have spent. I am still using the stock clutch cable and the clutch lever is so smooth I can now shift with 2 fingers. shifts are now so smooth and quick that I am still trying to get used to it. I love the AOF (adjust on fly) feature cause I can now adjust my clutch quickly for the type of riding I am doing (trails, street cruising, drag racing). It is definately worth it...I will never own another quad without this mod.

WheelieMan4
08-07-2006, 09:49 AM
I have the Moose one right now and hate it, worst 30 bucks ive spent, but I guess I will just get the MSR then, seems like its great.

Honda#4
08-07-2006, 12:40 PM
i have the MSR AOF clutch perch and lever too and its great, pulling in the clutch is so easy,i left the stock cable on.I use one finger to clutch now instead off my whole hand its great,the best $30 i spent sense my pipe.

400eXr1d3rZ
08-07-2006, 03:24 PM
im getting this MSR AOF Clutch and Perch soon hopefully.

but, how does it work? how does it make it so easy to pull?

rudabaugh
08-08-2006, 10:49 AM
Aftermarket perch and lever setups tend to be easier to pull due to the leverage point.

Think about 7th grade science class when you learned about pullies and levers. If you were trying to move a boulder with a 2x4, you would need to put a block under the 2x4 to pry against. If the block is too close to the boulder, then it will be too hard to pull. If it is too far, then you will not have enough leverage to move the boulder.

It is a matter of finding that sweet spot. Aftermarket companies take more time to find it.

That being said, When I bought my 02 400ex, the clutch was a beast to pull. I replaced the cable and it was like butter and that was with the stock perch. I just put the MSR set up on and it is not necessarily easier but I would say it is smoother.

johnsls
08-08-2006, 10:56 AM
I have the RTC and hate it, no improvement at all..

Q: How do you know when you need a new cable?
(Besides when it breaks?) lol

underpowered
08-08-2006, 11:29 AM
most aftermarket lever companies use the leverage ratio found on the cr250. it seems to be teh best all around for smoothness, ease of pull and still allow you to pull it in far enough to completley disengage the clutch. i know works connection uses this ratio as do many aftermarket companies. the works connection lever is an amazing product, but i doubt it is worth the $150 it cost. there are much cheaper option out the. applied racing makes a lever similar to the works connection one as a much more affordable price. so far with my barnette clutch and springs, stock cable and lever i love my stock stuff. i can pull my clutch with two fingers, and feather it with one through turns. my stock stuff is very smooth and easy. i am probably gonna get eh applied racing perch here soon though.