PDA

View Full Version : Help on predator

TRillen
08-07-2006, 07:54 AM
im looking to get a used sport quad which will be either the trx 450, yfz 450, or the predator. Ive never owned a polaris and have heard both good and bad things. ive read some of the other threads telling why people bash polaris, but i would like an honest opinion of owners. could you guys tell me what problems youve had, how many hours when you had them, what you like, and what you dont like, etc.

by the way it will most likely be an 03' model considering my budget is roughly 3000-3500

thanks

bradley300
08-07-2006, 08:19 AM
i have an 06 and my dad has an 03 i ride, and pesrosnaly if all you can get is an 03, i would look at something else. unless you find a 03 with an 04 swingar and rear shock, reverse, and 9 inch rear wheels

wolffie
08-07-2006, 02:39 PM
if you are going to buy used get at least an 05 pred or a really nice 04. the 03's have some tranny issues, which isnt a huge deal if they are well taken care of.

i've had my 05 TLD for over a year now and have probably over 500 hours on it. i have had no problems what so ever and i ride it hard. the power is great and comparable to the 450's. the only downfall is the pred is a bit heavy if you are concerned with that. the 450's are a bit more nimble to maneuver because of this, but the pred is so wide it isnt a huge deal. the pred is great in a variety of terrains (trail, some light mx, and some decent sized jumps). overall it is a very versatile machine. the only downfall IMO is the intake is poorly designed. just buy an aftermarket one at www.rathracing.com and you are good to go!

Foc4strokes
08-09-2006, 01:25 PM
Dont listen to any of these people that are saying the predator is good all my friends went out and got them cause they thought they were awesome and would ripp apart the banshee and since it was 4 stroke they thought u could never kill them....welll they were wrong my friend just got the 06 and it already needs a new tranny and cdi...and i work at a motorcycle shop in newton and that basically all that comes in with blown motors and everything is destroyed in the engine im curently working on one where it wont start we replaced everything cause it was all worn out we re wired and got all new parts like the cdi stator flywheel..everything and it still wont start...honestly if u want a good fast reliable quad get the yfz450 or a banshee.

Norules2891
08-10-2006, 01:06 PM
Honestly the only way you can figure out which bike you would like most is to ride one yourself. They all have great power but the most obvious is the YFZ450. My only complaint is that they're too small for me. That's why I own a predator.

Mad MikeB
08-10-2006, 10:21 PM
Norules2891 is right I have a 2006 and ride it twice a week hard and it holds up just fine. It is a little bigger then the rest but it still holds its own. Not a problem one in 275hrs. If you do not count flats.

katch26
08-11-2006, 07:04 AM
i dont know if you can consider 2 strokes "reliable", easy to maintain YES, easy to rebuild YES, cheap to rebuild YES, Low maintenance NO, reliable NO. Just because they are cheap and easy to fix or rebuild doesnt define them as reliable.

polaris bob
08-11-2006, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by Foc4strokes
Dont listen to any of these people that are saying the predator is good all my friends went out and got them cause they thought they were awesome and would ripp apart the banshee and since it was 4 stroke they thought u could never kill them....welll they were wrong my friend just got the 06 and it already needs a new tranny and cdi...and i work at a motorcycle shop in newton and that basically all that comes in with blown motors and everything is destroyed in the engine im curently working on one where it wont start we replaced everything cause it was all worn out we re wired and got all new parts like the cdi stator flywheel..everything and it still wont start...honestly if u want a good fast reliable quad get the yfz450 or a banshee.

What kind of dealership would employ a guy like this?? LOL

gopher_6_9
08-13-2006, 10:32 AM

So wait you have basically a brand newquad you built and it won't start........ damn remind me not to let you ever touch any of my ****.

MAaudioX10
08-14-2006, 05:04 PM

You pretty much described every atv out there. It is people like this, I don't understand. Just about any forum I read, no matter if it is a Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, or Polaris...I have seen just about as many blown motors, transmission...etc etc...for everyone else.

This is not solely a Polaris problem.

You get a guy who neglects everything, doesn't change the oil. The motor blows and it is the manufacturers fault.....wtf....

wolffie
08-14-2006, 06:36 PM
you take care of your stuff and it will last. you treat it like ****, and it will become a pile of ****.:D

gopher_6_9
08-14-2006, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by MAaudioX10
You pretty much described every atv out there. It is people like this, I don't understand. Just about any forum I read, no matter if it is a Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, or Polaris...I have seen just about as many blown motors, transmission...etc etc...for everyone else.

This is not solely a Polaris problem.

You get a guy who neglects everything, doesn't change the oil. The motor blows and it is the manufacturers fault.....wtf....
Exactly.

thepredator
08-19-2006, 11:19 AM
The truth is the predator is a little heavier and bigger than the 450's but it is comparable. I ride every weekend with a host of other sport quads and my predator has no trouble "keeping up" In a 100 yard drag race the 2006 raptor 700 has me by about 5 yards and the yzf450 by about a bike length. It is also an awesome hill climber. From the factory the predator has steel braided brake lines, fox racing shox, douglas yellow label rims, and maxxis tires. For the money it is well worth it.

katch26
08-19-2006, 11:32 AM
the truth of the matter is no bike is perfect!!, or if it was then why are there aftermarket companies? I had a raptor (got stolen) now I have a pred and honestly the pred is a much better bike. Everyone always talks about this bike is better cause natalie (or insert driver here_________) just won on it but racers of that caliber would win on anything and their bike are so modded anyways. The only problem I have with the bike is that its hard to get parts for so when you do find them sometimes its gets expensive. For me thats part of the fun is building it.:)

Trx4Life
08-19-2006, 03:58 PM
well i have both a pred and a yfz. as far as comparing the two the only thing the pred wins in is comfort. as far as speed, handeling, reliability, avalibility of parts is yfz all the way.

In the two years ive had both of them the pred has locked up twice once it was completely stock, and yes it was well maintained. The first time cost me a lot of money but i was ripped off by a mechanic. I also had the startor clutch go out with it about six months old. I have not had any tranny problems though.

Dont get me wrong I love my bike but had I known then what I know now I would probley have 2 yfzs. As far as money invested in rebuilds and other problems I probley have 15 Grand invested in the pred (with the origional price of the bike). I Might have 7500 invested in the yfz (with price of bike) and it hands down out performs the pred in almost everyway.