PDA

View Full Version : trx450r dual exhaust?

Trajik1002
08-07-2006, 01:59 AM
I heard of a guy putting dual exhaust on his 450r and was wondering if anyone else has heard of this? Also how was the performance and sound? There is a guy i ride with that has a raptor with dual exhaust and it sounds awesome and runs to match......he is the one who has brought this to my attention....he said the guy had to do some modifications but it wasn't to bad....any info would be great thanks a lot guys you been a big help!!!

firefighterjosh
08-07-2006, 02:03 AM
There is a company that specilized in dual exhaulst I think it was called looney Tune exhaulst. My buddie had it on his 400ex. Sounded good thats about it.

xxnightraven73x
08-07-2006, 08:34 PM
yeah www.lteracing.com they have them i just banshee pipes on mine and i sounds and goes great as compared to just when it had the single white brothers on it.duals are definatly the way to go i love it sounds good goes good ill never have a single pipe again

firefighterjosh
08-07-2006, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by xxnightraven73x
yeah www.lteracing.com they have them i just banshee pipes on mine and i sounds and goes great as compared to just when it had the single white brothers on it.duals are definatly the way to go i love it sounds good goes good ill never have a single pipe again

Did you make that your self? Never seen that before with stockers.

400eXr1d3rZ
08-07-2006, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
Did you make that your self? Never seen that before with stockers.

Those are Banshee pipes.

bansheexcracer2
08-07-2006, 09:46 PM
yeah those are stock banshee pipes. I have a set for sale if someone else wants to try it. It loks like all the paking is out of them? That has to be robbing the horse power.

firefighterjosh
08-07-2006, 09:48 PM
o wow I didn't know yuo could do that..I thought that was just slang... Dang I have 3 sets of stock pipes lol. Does it increase power that much?

gopeddin400EX
08-07-2006, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Trajik1002
I heard of a guy putting dual exhaust on his 450r and was wondering if anyone else has heard of this? Also how was the performance and sound? There is a guy i ride with that has a raptor with dual exhaust and it sounds awesome and runs to match......he is the one who has brought this to my attention....he said the guy had to do some modifications but it wasn't to bad....any info would be great thanks a lot guys you been a big help!!!

im not sure if thats possible... well it is but it wouldnt be worth it. the raptors and 400EXs have two exhaust ports so the two pipes can come right out. now on the other hand the 450R has one port...

400eXr1d3rZ
08-07-2006, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by gopeddin400EX
im not sure if thats possible... well it is but it wouldnt be worth it. the raptors and 400EXs have two exhaust ports so the two pipes can come right out. now on the other hand the 450R has one port...

Ummm, LTE makes dual pipes for 450r/yfz/400ex etc...

DirtDevilBT
08-07-2006, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by 400eXr1d3rZ
Ummm, LTE makes dual pipes for 450r/yfz/400ex etc...
That's because they use a header that splits the single port into two pipes.

Dual exhaust pipes are for looks only or drag racing. There are tons of other single pipes out there that sound great and out perform any dual pipe. The powerband on a dual pipe is very narrow and any power claims made are completely in the upper range rpm.

For the money, there are better performing pipes on the market.

bwamos
08-08-2006, 06:40 AM
2 into 1 pipes are known to have much better power than duals. Especially 1 into 2??? who would do that.. lol.

It's purely for looks, sound, and coolness factor.

xxnightraven73x
08-08-2006, 08:44 AM
just the stockers i put on made a big differance it the throttle response and pulls alot harder than it did with the white brothers on it.im going to try a better set as soon as i go to order my new parts but for now it pours on the power all the way to rev. limiter so im sure with a good set and a few more mods itll be a handfull.but the duals did help the preformance of the machine all around not just in the upper rpm range :devil:

gopeddin400EX
08-08-2006, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by DirtDevilBT
That's because they use a header that splits the single port into two pipes.

Dual exhaust pipes are for looks only or drag racing. There are tons of other single pipes out there that sound great and out perform any dual pipe. The powerband on a dual pipe is very narrow and any power claims made are completely in the upper range rpm.

For the money, there are better performing pipes on the market.

oh cool man thanks for the explanation. I can see that though how the 1 into 2 would be kinda pointless hp wise

GPracer2500
08-08-2006, 11:24 PM
In 2006 the CRF250R switched from a single silencer to duals. Just food for though...

DirtDevilBT
08-08-2006, 11:31 PM
just the stockers i put on made a big differance it the throttle response and pulls alot harder than it did with the white brothers on it.im going to try a better set as soon as i go to order my new parts but for now it pours on the power all the way to rev. limiter so im sure with a good set and a few more mods itll be a handfull.but the duals did help the preformance of the machine all around not just in the upper rpm range :devil:
are those the banshee stockers? The only way duals are going to make power is if they are very restrictive. It just seems like too much lose in backpressure. You look at a straight through pipe like sparks and think of two of them, WTH. One pipe becomes two, two pipes all the way back instead of one, two canisters instead of one. Seems the canisters would have to hold enough backpressure on each one to fill the individual pipes back to the head. I don't like the idea, but I am very surprised to see any power gain in the bottom. I'd like to see a dyno chart just to see the arch. thanks for the post

400exrider707
08-09-2006, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
In 2006 the CRF250R switched from a single silencer to duals. Just food for though...

I know they claimed a power increase, but that was mostly done to balance the bike better which isn't as big of an issue on a quad.

GPracer2500
08-09-2006, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
I know they claimed a power increase, but that was mostly done to balance the bike better which isn't as big of an issue on a quad.

Honda does tout the balance advantanges but I've suspected the real reason they did it had more to do with flow vs. noise. My theory (which I believe is sound--no pun) is that increasing the total silencer volume allows for quiter operation with equal flow. Said another way, more flow with equal noise. If they did make more power with the duals I bet that's the reason why [shrug].

If that idea holds up then I think it's great. I'd love loud pipe performance that isn't actually loud...

xxnightraven73x
08-09-2006, 08:18 AM
mine with 2 pipes isnt too much louder than when it had a white brothers on it.however having two equal length header pipes and two equal length silencers actually makes the throttle response alot better and seems to have widened the powerband quite a bit.a true dual exhaust will make alot more power more so than a 2 into 1. you could notice a power differance with the 450 since youll be giving the exhaust more of a place to escape from the motor.i bet it would be well worth it for you to get the lte system.

atvn
08-09-2006, 08:32 AM
Can you show a picture of the head pipes? I am real interested in seeing the left side. How much did you have to modification the head pipes and where did you couple the 400ex head pipes to the Banshee canisters? Thanks for sharing.

xxnightraven73x
08-09-2006, 10:18 AM
yeah its not much moding.i need to get some good clamps for it but here it is anyway.

atvn
08-10-2006, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the picture. That is what I needed to see. Looks like you can even pick up a set of aftermarket canisters for the banshee for less than a slip on.

xxnightraven73x
08-11-2006, 07:51 AM
yeah you can im going to be getting a set of fmf's soon.however you will have to either get a aftermarket airbox or mod. your stocker so you can stuff everything on the left side into it(batt.voltage regulator selonoid) ive actually polished up my headers too it looks alot better takes alot of time but shines up nice. its not really a hard mod to do makes a big differance in power though you will have to bend the header pipes just a bit to get them to line up with the banshee silencers and make your own bracket for the left side .just drop me a line if you need help or anything let me know what pipes you pick up too im curious how a after market set will do

400exrider707
08-11-2006, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
Honda does tout the balance advantanges but I've suspected the real reason they did it had more to do with flow vs. noise. My theory (which I believe is sound--no pun) is that increasing the total silencer volume allows for quiter operation with equal flow. Said another way, more flow with equal noise. If they did make more power with the duals I bet that's the reason why [shrug].

If that idea holds up then I think it's great. I'd love loud pipe performance that isn't actually loud...

Yes that makes perfect sense. If you were to ignore the silencers for a second and look strictly at the headpipes, then Two smaller headpipes will flow more than one slightly larger headpipe. Its simple mathematics, just figure out the total area of the two pipes vs. the area of the one single (slightly larger) headpipe. Two seems better to me. One reason is that backpressure is still kept, yet the overall area for exhaust to escape is larger.

xxnightraven73x
08-11-2006, 07:24 PM
very true thats basically what i was thinking with my duals if i understood that right 2 pipes flows as good(they are still small silencers)or better than one single twice the diameter.for the noise level of it its actually not much louder then when i had the white brothers e series on it but the power it much smoother and response is right there.i cant wait to see what and after market set will sound like and preform like

400exrider707
08-11-2006, 11:56 PM
very true thats basically what i was thinking with my duals if i understood that right 2 pipes flows as good(they are still small silencers)or better than one single twice the diameter.for the noise level of it its actually not much louder then when i had the white brothers e series on it but the power it much smoother and response is right there.i cant wait to see what and after market set will sound like and preform like

Two pipes of a given diameter do not equal 1 pipe twice the diameter. They are not the same surface area. If that were the case the duals would definitely win, only because they have a larger total flow area.

DirtDevilBT
08-12-2006, 04:21 AM
Just doesn't seem right. You are still working off only one exhaust port on the 450r where as the 400ex has two. I see a dual set up helping a 400 more than a 450r. Spliting a single port that can only flow so much exhaust into two pipes is a huge loss in backpressure, some is still good. Granted you want backpressure to build up from the silencer and move back to the head, but why not use a big single pipe and a restrictive silencer? One 1.5" pipe vs two 1" pipes is still .5"more pipe to feed the entire length of the quad. Even the pipe coming out of the port will still be 1.5". Like I said though, I dunno, but I have access to a dyno at a guys shop I know, but no access to pipes. I'd gladly dyno run my pulse charger and a set of LTE's, maybe a sparks, DASA, or whatever else seems like the flavor of the month.

How much is a set of LTE's or banshee pipes like FMF? VS. a nice single?

xxnightraven73x
08-12-2006, 04:22 AM
huh guess i didnt read it right then oh well all i know is that its alot better off with the 2 pipes on it than it was with the one its alot snappier and has more pull to it.and personally i think it looks alot better too but thats just me i guess ill have to see how it does with the fmf's on there they are a bigger pipe than the stockers so i immagine it can only get better probably helps its a big bore too but still needs a few more parts thrown at it (cam carb stroker)but thats just things i wanna do