PDA

View Full Version : 400ex timing chain

crewworrior
08-06-2006, 09:19 PM
how do i tighten the timing chain and how do i know when its tight enough. any help will be appreciated

GPracer2500
08-06-2006, 10:34 PM
The timing chain is kept under tension by the cam chain tensioner. It adjusts automatically. If your timing chain is not properly tensioned then either the tensioner is malfunctioning or the chain is so stretched the tensioner can no longer keep it tensioned.

crewworrior
08-07-2006, 04:53 PM
my problem is theres some ticking going on and it doesnt sound like the valves so i thought it might be the cam chain. do you have any suggestions.
thanks
george

95300exrida
08-08-2006, 12:47 PM
my quad ticks and rattles like that too i think im due for a new timing chain and valve adjustment

crewworrior
08-09-2006, 06:25 PM
the guy that owns this 400 told me that it only does it when its idleing, but when youre going it doesnt really do it

RiderTRX400ex
08-09-2006, 08:28 PM
adjust your valves, and one way you could check the cam chain for stretch is to loosen the 2 8mm bolts that hold the tensioner on and see if there is still resistance against the guide.. the tensioner should want to push or "pop" out

crewworrior
08-09-2006, 08:55 PM
ill try that tomorrow, the two 8mm bolts hold the tensioner correct, someone told me to turn the phillips screw counter clockwise to put tension on the chain is that correct or do you turn it clockwise.or is it self adjusting like someone posted earlier.

GPracer2500
08-09-2006, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by crewworrior
ill try that tomorrow, the two 8mm bolts hold the tensioner correct, someone told me to turn the phillips screw counter clockwise to put tension on the chain is that correct or do you turn it clockwise.or is it self adjusting like someone posted earlier.

The philips screw is just a cap. Underneith is a slot that can be turned with a flat blade screw driver. Turning it clockwise draws the tensioner shaft into the tensioner. When you let go the tensioner shaft springs back out until it hits the cam chain slider. A one-way spring inside the tensioner applies the tension.

chad502ex
08-10-2006, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by crewworrior
my problem is theres some ticking going on and it doesnt sound like the valves so i thought it might be the cam chain. do you have any suggestions.
thanks
george

hey george, if you have many many run hours on your engine you may want to start to think about replacing your timing chain with a new one. These chains do wear out and can cause the camshaft to jump timing if the wear is too excessive; which may be the reason for the sudden tick noise. If you know to check your timing, be sure that the cam sprocket timing marks line up with the head and the crankshaft is at TDC. If no timing change has occured, then your probally safe, but if it has then you'll need a new chain, new gasket, flywheel puller, and possibly new valves if they were kissing the piston.

good luck

crewworrior
08-10-2006, 08:06 PM
This 400 is a 2001 thats never been taken apart. it actually belongs to my friend, he's considering rebuilding the whole top end now because we also think its about time for it.he wants to get a 426 kit,new valves,springs,web cam,heavy duty cam chain and he will need it bored out.were looking for somewhere we can get all we need so we can just slap it all together when we get it.do you guys have any suggestions.
Thanks
George

02440exkid
08-10-2006, 08:17 PM
yes you will need to bore it out sum people sugest a new sleve but not manditory.I have allways herd good things about gtthunder.com

crewworrior
08-10-2006, 08:26 PM
Thanks ill go check them out right now