PDA

View Full Version : Res Tank and Washer ??? Read to find out what I mean

firefighterjosh
08-06-2006, 08:58 PM
I tought my GF how to change the oil on her KFX. I showed her what to do and she did it. Well I was changing the oil on my 400 and she was tighting the bolt on the Oil Resivore. She called me over to make sure it is tight and I noticed it was stripped. (She said I couldn't get it in so I forced it in...LMFAO) I took off the oil res. tapped the hole and put a bigger bolt (temp fix) in since we were going to the badlands the next day. I bolted it all up ran it put 2.5 quarts in it. It was over full. the oil was coming out the fill hole. I drained some out and it was still a little over but not bad. Well we went to the badlands rode and then the oil res. was full again. hmmm not sure why so I left it. Then we get home today and I noticed a little washer on the floor. (this next part might be hard to explain) I found out were the washer goes. It goes to the bottom of the oil tank were the oil line connects. It wasn't in there the whole trip and nothing bad happend.

my 3 question are
Do I really need that washer? I am going to put it back in Just asking.
Should I get a new res tank? (the new bolt is a 5/8 size and is about twice as long) I am thinking yes to this.
Why did the oil Res fill up again even after running it 10 mins before?

I have never ran into this problem before. I am a 2-stroke person. I just really got into 4-strokes like 4 Months ago.

GooseZ400
08-07-2006, 04:47 PM
there shouldve been a washer on the drain plug to prevent oil from leaking out.

the res, filled back up with the oil that was in the motor when u ran it.

You could get a new res. or just get a shorter bol at the hardware store and use that with a washer on it. It should be alright

firefighterjosh
08-07-2006, 07:09 PM
I know there was a washer on the bolt, but when I took the oil injection tube off the bottom I forgot to put the washer back in. How does that effect it?