PDA

View Full Version : yfz electrical probs.

quadrider08
08-06-2006, 07:18 PM
OK so heres the deal. I got a 02 yfz450 and the electrical is so messed up and i have no idea what the problem is. To start it the lights have to be on high with it in neutral and clutch pulled in. If it is not set up like that it wont even roll over. Then today i was getting ready to start a race and it was starting fine as long as it was all set up correctly and then all of a sudden nothing, no clicking or rolling over. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? Ive talked to many riders and no one seems to have any ideas.

twiggz
08-06-2006, 09:18 PM
something isnt grounded. you have to have everything on so that what ever isnt grounded wich I am guessing is your starter butten needs to use alternate grounds. usually this doesnt matter but on the yfz s everything has to be making a complete circuit or nothing will work. one thing you can try is take the switch apart on the handle bar. follow the wires out, make sure its grounded. take the other 2 wires out for the start butten, turn on the key and touch them together and see what happens. check you hi low beam wires wile you have it apart. they are in the same switch. as far as having the clutch pulled in and in neutral, there is a switch on your clutch lever that works like a dome lite in a fridge or on a car door. that went bad on my raptor and so I just took it off and now its fine. I can start it in any gear with out the clutch. its kinda kool. not good for the starter or starter clutch bearing tho. thats all i can tell ya for now. try that and let me know what happens.

quadrider08
08-08-2006, 11:37 AM
thanks for the info, i just about got it runnin im still gonna sell it and get the new honda 450r

pnut420
08-09-2006, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by quadrider08
OK so heres the deal. I got a 02 yfz450 and the electrical is so messed up and i have no idea what the problem is. To start it the lights have to be on high with it in neutral and clutch pulled in. If it is not set up like that it wont even roll over. Then today i was getting ready to start a race and it was starting fine as long as it was all set up correctly and then all of a sudden nothing, no clicking or rolling over. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? Ive talked to many riders and no one seems to have any ideas.

The 02 were prototype and had that problem.

Seriously though the yfzs do seem to be a pain with the electrical here and there but you just gotta get the hang of it. All quads have little problems with things.

If you have any more problems try over at yfzcentral.com alot of electrical talk around there.