PDA

View Full Version : 300ex

04exrdr
08-06-2006, 04:13 PM
hey im new 2 this forum......had a question though.......my friend has a blaster w/pipe rad valve air filter and jet kit.....i was wondering what i would need for my 300ex to be able to keep up in just acceleration......not top speed or ne thing.....so far i have a jet kit pipe air filter and 1 up in the back....i havent actually ridden with him since both our quads were completly stock....but he says his will comletley smoke mine now...

Floorit
08-06-2006, 04:24 PM
My opinion...

who cares if he can smoke you in the long run. get him and his bike out on the tight twisty trails and see how long he'll last.

NOTHING beats a 4 stroke on the trails when it comes to going slow and negotiating your approach.

For what it matters..

My buddy has on 05 blaster. His mods are complete pipe / K&N / rejetted.

I'm roughly 5 years older than he is and I can smoke his ***** on the trails any day.

I could more than likely hold my own on a straight race against his too.

It's the rider's experience that makes the bike look good, not vice versa

04exrdr
08-07-2006, 04:05 PM
yeah i kinda meant that by trails.......i wana b able 2 get more pwr out so i can get thru the turns quicker....kinda hard 2 explain what im sayn..but if u do..he tips would b cool....im lookin 2 improve a large increase in low end power..since my pipe it all hi.....

Floorit
08-07-2006, 05:40 PM
OK... I think I'm following you now.

Remove the airbox lid and toss an outterwear over the filter.

I recommend you go back to the stock size sprocket on the rear, and to a 12 tooth on the front.

That's about all you can do to these things till you toss a 330 kit in it. If you did end up doing the 330 kit, I'd recommend also cleaning up [smoothing] the intake and exhaust ports with sandpaper. Don't get too carried away on the intake side trying to polish it....just clean it up. But on the exhaust side, you can pretty much open it up to the size of the exhaust header collar and then polish it up nice. That will allow as much flow as possible.

Always remember......the faster the air goes in, the faster it need to get out ;)

04exrdr
08-07-2006, 09:08 PM
alrite thanks i already hav the lid off....i'll try the outerwear and the sproket...330 is a little 2 expensive for jus ridin for fun

firefighterjosh
08-07-2006, 09:14 PM
If you ever get the money buy a Z400,400ex, 450 or some sort. You will waste him all the time in everything. As long as your a good woods rider. The 450s have alot of trouque for exiting corners.

Iamgone
08-09-2006, 10:56 AM
Big thing in my opinion is tires. There are alot of people here with different opinions on which tires are best. Do a search. A four stroke makes more torque, than a two stroke like the blaster. The trick is to put that torque to the ground and limit the tire spin. A rider also needs experience and throttle control. I am not saying you do not personally have experience. Just speaking in general. This will translate into faster acceleration. The two stroke will normally rev higher and accelerate faster than a four stroke just by basic motor design. Four strokes are starting to get better though....In the trees, take him through the mud, he will have to maintain higher revs or the blaster will tend to bog down.

bwamos
08-09-2006, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Floorit
That's about all you can do to these things till you toss a 330 kit in it.

He never said what he has as an exhaust.

If he's just got a slip-on he can add a better header.

He can also get a Cam for it. It will make a nice increase.

Rev limit increase also makes a huge difference on the 300ex. Stock it's somewhere in the 7600rpm range.

Other than that I agree.

Airbox no-lid, filter, pipe with header, cam, and a rev limit increase. Any more than that sell it and buy a 400ex. ;)

Suspension is the best way to smoke him though. ;)

04exrdr
08-09-2006, 10:26 PM
yeah so far i hav a full big gun race razr tires k&n jets and a filter and a renthal sproket 1 up in the back....im goin 2 do that rev limiter soon.......for the exhaust if i put in the quiet core insert...will i lose alot of pwr or it wont make a difference.......also another question mite look a little stupid 2 sum ppl but i mite put LEDs shinin down on my engine at lik nite time....not rocky trails or ne thing..mabe on open roads.....i know how to wire it....but ne1 hav ne suggestions on how 2 get it up ther pointin down or what kind 2 use...a strip or stick on bulbs?

00tn300ex
08-11-2006, 07:25 PM
dont know how much it would cost to do.One of my friends did it for me port and polish the head seems like a 300ex is extremly starved for airflow from the factory.when i got my bike it had already been ported a little my builder ported more(as much as he thought was safe without grinding through)and it seemed to help alot.

04exrdr
08-11-2006, 08:21 PM
would that make it ne less reliable?