PDA

View Full Version : boggin down ruined my sunday

OH'S 400ex
08-06-2006, 01:33 PM
my 400 keeps on bogging down and sputtering at the higher rpms. i checked my air box and i know the fuel is fine. im not to comfortable with the carb and jetting so i havnt messed with that at all. could this be the only problem?

one thing that scared me was when i checked the oil it was bone dry. this doesnt make any sence cause i have only been riding at most 10 hrs since my last oil change. i havnt found any leaks in the engine either. is there any reason for oil to go this fast?

i think i might have to drop it off at the shop but any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

GPracer2500
08-06-2006, 02:00 PM
You may have not used the right procedure for checking the oil. If done wrong the level will seem low--a common mistake that leads to overfilling. The engine has to idle (not rev, not ride around--idle) for several minutes to normalize the oil level in the crankcase. The excess oil goes to the the tank and that's how you get an accurate reading.

OH'S 400ex
08-06-2006, 02:22 PM
yup i did that and it was dry so i dont get it.

this has the feeling of a serious problem so i think im going to have my shop look at it. just hoping it doesnt cost me to much.

GPracer2500
08-06-2006, 02:25 PM
Good luck...hopefully there is a simple explination.

OH'S 400ex
08-06-2006, 02:27 PM
ya i hope so cause i think im going to get a new quad for next summer and i dont want to be putting to much into this one.

08-06-2006, 08:38 PM
does the motor turn over

dabensmiller
08-06-2006, 08:43 PM
Maybe your rings are hooped, this could cause oil to enter the combustion chamber and cause the sputter.

OH'S 400ex
08-07-2006, 06:41 AM
ya my motor turn on fine. starts up like theres no problem and idles fine.

anyone have a rough estimate of worse case scenario?

like i said i dont want to put to much into it but if its going to cost me less than $500-$600, i think it will be worth it.

OH'S 400ex
08-15-2006, 09:35 PM
hey just figured out the problem tonight

when i cleaned my K&N Airfilter, i used this Bel-Ray oil which was to much for the K&N. the engine couldnt breath through the oil. i knew i put a lil to much oil but didnt think that could be the problem.

but after cleaning all the oil out and using the K&N spray oil (alot easier and cleaner) it ran great.

still not sure y the oil ran out so quick but im just going to check it alot more regulary now....now i look pretty stupid of thinking of bring it to the shop and prob paying a few hundred on something i did in 10 min.

:)