PDA

View Full Version : big gun

bluebaron
08-23-2002, 07:13 PM
I'm think about geting a big gun slip on silencer for my 400.
My questin is Do i have to rejett. and should i get a k&n air fitelr

THIS MY 100TH POSTS!!!!

cals400ex
08-24-2002, 12:01 AM
well you won't have to rejet but it is highly recommended. i think big gun calls for a 152 mainjet with just the slip on for the 400ex. the k and n may improve throttle response but i prefer foam to prevent dust from entering.

bluebaron
08-24-2002, 11:23 AM
Big - D Racing says big gun gives only 1/2 hp. Is this true!!!

:confused:

cals400ex
08-25-2002, 12:39 AM
well if you want to see some decent gains on top end i would not get this pipe. my friend has one and it has improved throttle response pretty good. i can not tell you anything on the very top end yet because we have not raced on top end since he got the pipe. i do know this is a pipe made for torque and not big horsepower gains. we raced up to 5th gear and he pulls a couple lengths on me by then.

Big - D Racing
08-25-2002, 02:07 AM
Big Gun is one of the least horse power producing pipes out, that's also why big gun offers their systems cheaper than most. I guess you get what you pay for. If your looking for just a slip on spend the extra $30 for a better pipe you'll be happy you did. If you don't rejet no matter what pipe you get, the bike will run a little sluggish and will be back firing a lot everytime you let off the throttle.
P.s. Search the net, you can find a great slip on for less than $200. If you don't look for a good deal you could pay as much as $50 more, so search wisely. White bros. e series slip on give the most horse power increase over any other slip on, on the market today. I guarantee it. If looking for a full system go Curtis Sparks.

08-25-2002, 06:58 AM
big gun = crap. go yosh or WB

cotttonwoody
08-25-2002, 10:29 AM
Isnt the NEW big gun saposed to best the best? According to marcums it is.

Castor-426ex
08-25-2002, 11:11 AM
ya know its funny..ive rode a lot of 400's with wb full systems...yosh full systems...and this was before my headwork..
i think that wb sucks..poorly made...thats my opinion...My big gun has a great low end pull and a hard mid range hit..and a not too shabby top end...the only other pipes i thought could give it a run would prob be a yosh.pipes that I think are better probably would be curtis sparks..or hmf...but i havent rode any of these really hard to tell what they have..
all I know is I aint got to **** with a bunch of discs to tune my quad...and i dont have to worry about it fallin apart on the trails

bansheeguy77
08-25-2002, 11:23 AM
i like my big gun it sounds great and helps alot with power...me and a wb pro meg compete system were dead even...and my mechanic said u dont have to jet with just the big gun its best without jetting....so far its running good.

K400EX&A250EX
08-26-2002, 02:48 PM
I'm not an expert by any means, and don't want to argue with anyone, but through my PERSONAL experience, I know that Big Gun DOES improve the performance of the 400EX. I rode my 400 at the dunes both before and after installing the Big Gun and there IS a big difference. I couldn't tell you how many hp I gained or did not gain...because I don't have access to a dyno...but I know that I went up the hills A LOT faster and in a higher gear after installing the pipe.

My son and I both have essentially stock 400EXs (mine has the Big Gun and his has a WB E-series). We have raced them MANY times and the results are the same regardless of who is riding which bike. My 400 with the Big Gun pulls a little ahead early (just a couple of bike lengths) and stays that way all the way through the top end.

I'm not going to argue whether the Big Gun is the BEST pipe out there because I don't know the answer to that...nor do I really care. I would, however, take issue with those who say that it is "crap" or that it "sucks". I have been very happy with mine and I know that it is at least competitive with others.

Castor-426ex
08-26-2002, 06:02 PM
thats what im sayin...all the big gun haters must have a mental block, or they just have rode crappy quads with a good pipe on em..i love mine..no matter what anyone says:)

Punk13rym
08-26-2002, 06:40 PM
i love my Big Gun exhaust. im thing about getting the quite core cause its a little to loud for where i ride. but the core is easily interchangable.

suzuki Z400
08-26-2002, 06:47 PM
just the big gun slip on gives 4 horse power and the whole system gives 7. i dont know if the full system 7 horsepower includes rejetting:huh

Big - D Racing
08-26-2002, 07:36 PM
No slip on in the market adds 4 horse to a stock system. At most if your lucky you'll find one that adds 2 hp. Don't believe check out this link that compares 20 different full systems on a stock jetted 400ex. Test done by ATV Sport Magazine.
P.S. Big Gun is one of the worst performers.

Big - D Racing
08-26-2002, 07:37 PM
sorry forgot link.
www.atvnews.com/output.cfm?id=30961

suzuki Z400
08-26-2002, 07:40 PM
yes it does so does hmf.

Big - D Racing
08-26-2002, 07:44 PM
Sorry made a mistake Big Gun tied for last for amount of horsepower with Dg performance producing 25.7 just barely more than stock and it's the big gun full system. I'm not a hater of big gun this is just the truth on how they perform. All the pipes in the shoot out were put on the same bike and jetted to the mfg's. suggestions. They were all dynoed on the same dyno. The DYNO DOESN"T LIE.

eldoexrider01
08-26-2002, 08:37 PM
is it me or does anyone worry about torque?? ir ur into low end like me then torque is more important. it might not create alota hp but the seat of the pants feel which is mostly torque might be alot more power than hp. jus a thought for all u torque fans out there :huh

Big - D Racing
08-26-2002, 08:50 PM
I agree, you hardly ever hear about any improvements in torque when exhausts are compared or dynoed. It would be nice to see some dynos based on torque and top horsepower. Instead of just hp.

eldoexrider01
08-26-2002, 09:11 PM
dont get me wrong id like to see hp ratings... on a street bike :D but a 4 stroke 4wheeler u gotta have the TORQUE!!!!!!:devil

Big - D Racing
08-26-2002, 09:24 PM
the only thing I ever heard about torque gains or losses on exhaust systems for any bike was a banshee. I heard no aftermarket pipe makes as much torque on the banshee as the stock system. Does that apply to a 400ex, doubt it. Two completely different motors and systems. Anyways, that is really all I can recall hearing about any bike, let alone a 400ex, in terms of torque.

08-27-2002, 11:19 AM
ok. i have hered from alot of people that the big gun is bad, i was referring to the WB R-4 in good. i dont like the WB E-series. and i have ridden the R-4 on my own 400 the yosh on my friends 400 and i have ridden a big gun on another quad. the yosh seemed to be the best. big gun is a good pipe for MX dirt bikes but i dont like them on a 400EX. i would go either yosh or R-4. (the R-4 is stainless steel... ohhh ahhhhh):macho