PDA

View Full Version : 2 stroke engine noise, newbie here

jayhawk25
08-06-2006, 07:53 AM
I just got an old blaster, its a 94 but in immaculate shape. This is my first 2 stroke and need to know if its normal for 2 strokes to sound like a can full of marbles. I changed the oil and no metal deposits and it starts right up on the first kick everytime and runs strong through all rpm ranges. The motor is just noisy, I think its normal for a two stroke but just need reassurance. Any help would be great. It only has about 50 hours since new, should I change the reed valves? if so any one recommend any?

quadsport_rider
08-06-2006, 12:38 PM
hey jayhawk24...

first thing is do u have any mods done to it...i noticed with mine the more i did to it ..it got pingier if thats wat you mean.......i think from my knowlege its a 2-stroek thing...no worries.

wilkin250r
08-06-2006, 04:24 PM
A can of marbles? No, that doesn't sound normal. They definitely sound different from a 4-stroke, but there shouldn't be an abnormal amount of noise coming from the engine itself.

Get a piece of wood about 2ft long, peferably small and round like a 1/4 inch dowel. Put one end on the engine, put the other end in your ear. I know, it sound stupid, but it will let you listen inside your engine. It acts as a stethescope. If it sounds like stuff is scraping inside, you have a problem.

Your best bet is to put in on a trailer (or pickup) and haul it to a shop. They will be able to tell you within five seconds if it sounds normal or not, and I can't imagine they would charge you anything just to come outside and listen to it.

08-06-2006, 04:54 PM
ahh i think i know what your talking about

the expansion camber like has somthing in it

my friend had a blaster that did that

firefighterjosh
08-07-2006, 02:48 AM
All 2 Strokes have a pingy ting ting to them. My banshee sounds like rocks are in the pipes

bradley300
08-07-2006, 08:11 AM
blasters do make an abnormal amount of noise, but at 50 hours, its probably also needing a new top end. do a compression check, it should have 125 to 130 psi if its good, and no less than 115