PDA

View Full Version : Clutch basket removal

PismoLocal
08-05-2006, 09:56 PM
I Know this is in the wrong forum but i need an answer fast i'm trying to install a new 440 kit, hd timing chain and a stage 2 hotcam right now and i need to know how to remove the nut that holds in the clutch basket and gear off, in the clymer manual it says to grind it off but that isnt an option for me right now so if any one knows how to get the nut off that holds the clutch basket in on a 400 ex I would be very appreciative if you could tell me thanks.

Ralph
08-05-2006, 11:21 PM
and you are removing the clutch basket why?

PismoLocal
08-06-2006, 01:43 AM
I need to put in a new HD timing chain.

GPracer2500
08-06-2006, 02:02 AM
First, unstake the locknut. Then you'll either need a clutch basket holder or a impact gun (pneumatic or electric) to get the nut off. I use a pneumatic impact gun and they spin right off--piece of cake. Using a breaker bar and basket holder works, but it's sort of a pain compared to how easy impact tools make it.

Ralph
08-06-2006, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by PismoLocal
I need to put in a new HD timing chain.

missed that, sorry

PismoLocal
08-06-2006, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
First, unstake the locknut. Then you'll either need a clutch basket holder or a impact gun (pneumatic or electric) to get the nut off. I use a pneumatic impact gun and they spin right off--piece of cake. Using a breaker bar and basket holder works, but it's sort of a pain compared to how easy impact tools make it.

Thanks I was just about to buy the basket holder but I have an arsenal of air tools at my disposal so i'll put them to use.