PDA

View Full Version : i have a BIG problem...HELP!!!

kicken250x
08-23-2002, 05:49 PM
ok, here goes. when i was riding a wile back i noticed that the c/s sprocket could move back and forth on the shaft that runs into the tranny. so what i did was call honda of sroy and get another on of those little plate thingys that holds the sprocket on the shaft and used the old one as like a spacer so the sprocked would fit in there tight with little or no play in it. but some how it got loose again and wore the teeth down to hardly nothing and not it wont even move when in gear the shaft juts spins and the sprocket sits there so it like d@mn ya know cuz i just re built my motor and now i cant ride it.so my question is how do i get the sprocket to stay on? the guys at the honda shop said to just weld a new like renthal sprocket on and be done with it but i dont want to do that unless i really have to. so what yall think if you had the same problem with your bike what would you do? put a new one in or weld a sprocket on? thanks for any help!! later...

mxracer08
08-23-2002, 05:56 PM
it sounds like the shaft might be messed up or some other tranny prob

kicken250x
08-23-2002, 06:07 PM
yea that is what im saying is that the shaft is messed up and i need to know weather to replace it with a new one or weld a new sprocket on. sorry for the missunderstanding

330exracer122
08-23-2002, 06:12 PM
just to tell u thats bull that its hurts ur tranny mines been like fotr 2 yrs an im a lil ***** to my trany cuz half the time i don't use a clutch don't worry about it. just get a spocket.

kicken250x
08-23-2002, 06:17 PM
see yall still dont get what im sayin. the thing is i HAVE TO wory about it because if i dont wory about it the only thing i can do is pull it out of my building and pretend(sp?) that im bustin @ss through the woods and click through the grears cause it wont move unless i push it. so i need to know if i should replace the shaft or if i should just weld a new sprocket on which i dont want to do.

Ricky g
08-23-2002, 07:47 PM
Weld a sprocket on, or tear engine apart and put a new shaft in, to me it would be a no brainer, I would weld on a sprocket.

Ricky g

airheadedduner
08-23-2002, 09:03 PM
Replace the shaft. Welding it could cause other problems or warp the sproket. Its not the easy answer but it is the sure fix.

kicken250x
08-23-2002, 09:47 PM
the shop said something like 10hrs of work to do it and i just dont have 500 bucks to fork over right now so i think ill read the manual and go from there but still any one else got a suggestion? if u do im all ears.

330exracer122
08-24-2002, 12:33 PM
10hrs of work what they do do a nut a ahour?

Ricky g
08-24-2002, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by kicken250x
the shop said something like 10hrs of work to do it and i just dont have 500 bucks to fork over right now so i think ill read the manual and go from there but still any one else got a suggestion? if u do im all ears.

I doubt the cases would have to be split to get to the counter shaft, if that's the case, the job should be fairly simple. welding a sproket on would work though, they weld cases when the chain knocks wholes in them, so tig welding a sproket on wouldn't be much different, the correct way to fix the problem is put a new shaft on.

Ricky g

phatswinn
08-25-2002, 10:36 AM
weld the sprocket on temporarly and save up the money for the new counter shaft, and look around for motor shops and cycle shops for the best prices, dealers dont usually do that great of a job anyway, you could also see if the whole proseiger is the repair manual, if it is get the manual and do it your self
(honda and clymer) id check both, they might have different things in there and one might have what your looking for, or neither of them will.

kicken250x
08-25-2002, 11:28 AM
today i was sitting out in the building looking at the shaft and i got the idea that i could take like some "quick steal" or a welder and weld a line where the teeth were and grind them down to the origional size this would take about 2 hours but i would rather do al of that for free than sepnd 500 bucks to let the shop do it. some1 told me about this stuff from a compainy called devco or devcon or something like that that is a 2 part liquid/paste that you can sand grind or anything. people have used it to rapair blocks,cyclinder heads and these things that you use to shape plastic cant remember what they are called. so this stuff sounds strong but i still need to find out what the tinsel(sp?) strength is on it. does anyone know?has anyever used it? thanks alot for all your help!! later...

Leo
08-25-2002, 11:39 AM
if you sheared the teeth off the countershaft I doubt any of the 2 part miracle metals are going to do you much good....

you pretty much know your options;

1-weld the countershaft sprocket to the counteshaft .. pretty much the shadetree approach, but it would work for a while..

2-replace the countershaft (otherwise known as the correct method!) .. If I was you I'd grab a new countershaft, some gaskets, and a shop manual, and have at it.

Leo