PDA

View Full Version : i have a BIG problem... HELP!!!

kicken250x
08-23-2002, 05:47 PM
ok, here goes. when i was riding a wile back i noticed that the c/s sprocket could move back and forth on the shaft that runs into the tranny. so what i did was call honda of sroy and get another on of those little plate thingys that holds the sprocket on the shaft and used the old one as like a spacer so the sprocked would fit in there tight with little or no play in it. but some how it got loose again and wore the teeth down to hardly nothing and not it wont even move when in gear the shaft juts spins and the sprocket sits there so it like d@mn ya know cuz i just re built my motor and now i cant ride it.so my question is how do i get the sprocket to stay on? the guys at the honda shop said to just weld a new like renthal sprocket on and be done with it but i dont want to do that unless i really have to. so what yall think if you had the same problem with your bike what would you do? put a new one in or weld a sprocket on? thanks for any help!! later

08-25-2002, 11:22 PM
Whatever you do don't weld it. It might be a quick fix now, but in the future it would be a pain in the *** to have to grind the weld down to get the sprocket off. If you do go that route, go with a steel sprocket. If you go with Renthal Ultralite, (which is aluminum) you would have to replace it alot sooner compared to a steel sprocket. Plus, welding it on would most likely make the shaft out of balance.

jgray
08-27-2002, 12:26 PM
Kicken.. Slow down a little and be a little clearer when explaining. This is what I got from your description.. The shaft that goes into your engine. It has notches around it. You are saying that you were them down to almost nothing. Or are was it the notches on the sprocket. If it was the sprocket, get a new one. But I am thinking you would have figured that out, So it must be the notches on the shaft. I think thats bad news.. I see two options.. One being tearing the left side cover off and replacing the whole shaft (prefered) The other being welding a new spocket on the shaft (not prefered, because the sprocket should have a little play (should be a little loose feeling on the shaft) while installed on the shaft. That prevents engine damage by reducing the amount of strain to your engine gears.

Good luck, and someone correct me if I am wrong !!!

Jason

kicken250x
08-27-2002, 03:26 PM
yea you got it right. but you do have one thing wrong see i cant take off the case cover and replace the shaft i have to split the cases because the shaft dosent go through the cover it goes strait into the case so no matter what im going to have to split them unless one of yall knows something that i dont??...later

02REDEXRIDER
08-27-2002, 03:47 PM
They are supposed to have play in them to accomodate for the torqeuing of the engine.

toby400ex
09-08-2002, 02:15 PM
no matter what dont weld it on i bought a 300ex then found out the c/s sprocket was welded on, the bad thing is i found out after an hour of riding and the weld broke and made the chain put a hole in my cases. Luckily the seller bought it back but he wasnt happy. honda said it would cost about 800 bucks to fix but thats if they did it.

lil400exman
09-17-2002, 02:58 PM
take it to a machince shop have them machince a new peice just a tad bigger bolt it on the end and knock it on there with a hammer and tell them to use tool ti thats good stuff my bro in law ddi that for his buddies tectate an it wrks really good now and to make it work real good take the motor out and take it in there and have them machince down until you hve a sleeve on it and have the splines on the shaft on it i hope this helps!it will be alot faster and cheaper than splitting the cases!