PDA

View Full Version : anyone running 450r front shocks

jokester
08-05-2006, 02:54 PM
hey I was wonderin if some of you people that are running 450r fronts on your 400 could tell me how you like that set up, I don't have enough money to go for aftermarket shocks, but I can get these for a pretty good price, so would it be worth to get em. please any information will help!!!

zrpilot
08-05-2006, 07:09 PM
If your on a budget, the 450R shocks will be better then stock by a wide margin. I have some and had them rebuilt by GT Thunder. They sit lower then the stock 400EX and I really like them for the price. Are they the best, no. Will I ever have really good aftermarkets, maybe, but until then I'm sticking with these.

AR15 guy
08-05-2006, 11:05 PM
My 450r shocks are SO much better than my stockers. I noticed a huge difference the first time I jumped with them. Much smoother and they take the impact great.

I haven't bottomed them out yet.

hotrodhonda400
08-06-2006, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by AR15 guy
My 450r shocks are SO much better than my stockers. I noticed a huge difference the first time I jumped with them. Much smoother and they take the impact great.

;) yeah what he said I just put a set on this week and they will take hits SO much better than stock ex shocks plus they are fully adjustable and rebuildable. just a note when i installed mine I did not grind the shocks at all i just knocked off the nut on the shock mount that the fender bracket and reinstalled a button head bolt with the nut facing upwards & cut the shock bracket where the sock hits it,, you'll see what i mean when you get a pair. it only takes about 15 min and a 1/8 inch or so off the bracket.

yfzfelix
08-06-2006, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by hotrodhonda400
;) yeah what he said I just put a set on this week and they will take hits SO much better than stock ex shocks plus they are fully adjustable and rebuildable. just a note when i installed mine I did not grind the shocks at all i just knocked off the nut on the shock mount that the fender bracket and reinstalled a button head bolt with the nut facing upwards & cut the shock bracket where the sock hits it,, you'll see what i mean when you get a pair. it only takes about 15 min and a 1/8 inch or so off the bracket. this is exactly the way I did mine also, don't grind the shocks to fit like some have posted on here before, thats just nothing more than a goober hash job!

Def-e-nition
08-23-2006, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by hotrodhonda400
;) yeah what he said I just put a set on this week and they will take hits SO much better than stock ex shocks plus they are fully adjustable and rebuildable. just a note when i installed mine I did not grind the shocks at all i just knocked off the nut on the shock mount that the fender bracket and reinstalled a button head bolt with the nut facing upwards & cut the shock bracket where the sock hits it,, you'll see what i mean when you get a pair. it only takes about 15 min and a 1/8 inch or so off the bracket.

c'mon .... be a nice guy now and take a pic and show us ll !!
this is to be my next mod , if your comments are anything to go by this will improve the handling dramatically .

I tried 450 a arms with no success , luckily i never paid for them .
The shocks are a different story , and was also told to grind .
your alternative solution solves that , so if you could pot a pic - Lovely man , then I could see what you mean .

Does it make a difference whether they are 05 or 06 ? and do they catch/not fit top , or bottom , or top and bottom ??

TRX23rider
08-23-2006, 06:54 AM
i have 450r shocks and at first i thought they were the greatest thing in the world, but i have come to the conclusion that i dont like them. i think they mess up the geometry of the 400 and are way to stiff for my likings. a revalve should take care of this problem but once you get to spend that amount of money on the shocks and the revalve service you can get a nice set of used aftermarket shocks set for you and would be much better in my opinion.

Def-e-nition
08-23-2006, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by TRX23rider
i have 450r shocks and at first i thought they were the greatest thing in the world, but i have come to the conclusion that i dont like them. i think they mess up the geometry of the 400 and are way to stiff for my likings. a revalve should take care of this problem but once you get to spend that amount of money on the shocks and the revalve service you can get a nice set of used aftermarket shocks set for you and would be much better in my opinion.

mm, Im thinking the same thing , but surely their performance is better than a standard set ? Perhaps i should look at getting a set for free from one of the local dealers - our buggers here change the fronts for you for Laeger or elka , and then never give you the standard ones back . Nice eh ? So every modifier has sets of A arms and shocks just lying around the workshop- then if you call them , they come up with an outlandish excuse that if you bought em from honda , it would cost you an arm and a leg , etc. etc . , and would you mind payin X for them blah blah .
The buggers get em for FREE off the guys bike , nd then try rip us off . GRRRRR ..

Perhaps I should also look at spending the money on a set of I shocks A arms - I was planning to anyway , and they are specific to the trx .

you say it messes up the Geo ? what have you noticed since the change ?? interesting .

F-16Guy
08-23-2006, 12:31 PM
I have a set on my 400ex with +2 ASR arms and they work great. With the wider arms, the spring rate and valving feels pretty good. I'm sure they're not set up perfectly, but they were cheap, and they are 1000% better than the other pogo sticks. For pictures, scroll down to the bottom of this page:

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=249361&perpage=15&pagenumber=4

400exrider99
08-23-2006, 01:03 PM
i am and i love them i dont have them revalved though, but i haven't bottomed out on them when i jump. they made me realize how bad the rear shock is though. i an considering having the rear revavled. and as far as mounting them i just grinded them down a little and it was very easy. i would recommened them to any one on a budget. just my .02

CHEVYZ
08-23-2006, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by TRX23rider
i have 450r shocks and at first i thought they were the greatest thing in the world, but i have come to the conclusion that i dont like them. i think they mess up the geometry of the 400 and are way to stiff for my likings. a revalve should take care of this problem but once you get to spend that amount of money on the shocks and the revalve service you can get a nice set of used aftermarket shocks set for you and would be much better in my opinion. Agreed... my thoughts exactly.

phildogg
08-23-2006, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by AR15 guy

I'll second that..
phil

troutman561
08-23-2006, 11:28 PM
I have them and love it.. so much better than stock.. and if its to stiff for you just adjust the rebound and compression or w/e it is on them... i set rebound slower and compression softer and I go thru whoops so nicely now!

drsnugfit
08-24-2006, 11:58 AM
I am running them too, I have not had any problems with them so far and can clear 50ft TTs without bottoming out, they are a great budget upgrade.

bh2285
08-24-2006, 07:35 PM
I dont have them so I cant tell you anything. Who wants to give me some!