View Full Version : Car Audio Help PLEASE

o3thirdeyeo3
08-05-2006, 02:27 PM
I just got done installing ANOTHER set of subs and an amp in my car and AGAIN, its getting very little power. I have went over the wiring multiple times and I can seem to figure out what is wrong. I know the subs get power becasue they put out a little sound, and they vibrate, but there should be alot more than what im getting. I also have tried different amp and sub combinations and nothing works. The only thing I havent tried changing is the head unit. Does anyone think that could be the problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IOWAracer
08-05-2006, 02:31 PM
It could not be getting enough power to the amp to be able to push the subs we hook up a seperate battery to all the systems we do just a thought that is what i would think about ;)

o3thirdeyeo3
08-05-2006, 02:35 PM
Even a puny bazooka tube by its self doesnt hit:confused:
I dont think its the batt but thanks.

derekhonda
08-05-2006, 03:05 PM
What head unit do you have?

ZBlaster
08-05-2006, 05:27 PM
sounds like your losing voltage somewhere... you said you checked the wiring... what size wiring kit and what size amp are you running... how good is your alternator... how does the volts stay without the amp on?

F-16Guy
08-05-2006, 05:38 PM
If you're getting enough voltage to turn everything on, then it should all work. The problem may be that the signal from your head unit (from the RCA outputs) may be weak due to some malfunction or damage. Make sure the RCA cables are in good shape (try running a new set of cheap RCAs from the deck to the amp just to verify). If that doesn't help, then it may be the deck itself. To troubleshoot that, you could buy an RCA adapter that connects to the deck's regular speaker wires and turns them into RCA jacks. If you know the speakers normally work fine, then the adapter will definitely send the signal to the amp.

o3thirdeyeo3
08-05-2006, 06:48 PM
A friend keeps insisting to get a new head unit but I didnt think that could be it. Its a Kenwood.

PismoLocal
08-05-2006, 07:17 PM
How many ohms are your subs, are they dual or single voice coil, what ohm levels is your amp rated for, how are they wired series or parallel, many channels are you using from your amp? (one per sub? bridged? a single channel?)

I had the same problem when I wired my latest sub, it was a dual 4 ohm woofer and I wired it so that each voice coil on the sub was gettin the wrong ohm load, and the amp was wired so that it was at 1 ohm when it wasn't 1 ohm compatible. If i was you I would check to see if your loads are set up correctly on your amp and woofer.

FasstMidnightZ
08-05-2006, 07:24 PM
Yes what Pismo said is a good idea. I'd make sure your loads are right for the amplifier and subwoofer. Have you used the sub before or is it new?

jrspawn
08-05-2006, 10:12 PM
Hey, double check to see what your voltage is at the amp, just to make sure. It sounds like its def an amp/amp to sub wiring problem. Like pismo said, what channel amp are you using? are the subs single or dual voice coil, what ohms are they rated for, are you trying to bridge the amp/sub? And is your amp set properly? I had a similiar problem a couple years back, with a rockford mono amp and dual JL W7V2's, them found out the amp was WAY out of adjustment, had someone fine tune it, and set the state of DE decibal limit for that year in my class:D I think you should have someone go over with you that knows proper wiring and is familiar with the ohms and settings, im sure its something simple thats holding you up.

Justin

o3thirdeyeo3
08-06-2006, 10:24 AM
Well I got rid of the system after I couldnt get it working, so I recently got a Bass Tube and that is doing the same thing. That is what I am trying to get working right now. And it says its amplified, so i am running no amp.

Stevie-D
08-06-2006, 11:58 AM
ahhh....a bazooka tube..ghetto bass buddy!!!

:chinese:

wilkin250r
08-06-2006, 04:17 PM
Well, let's analyze this. You said you tried a few different amp/sub combinations, and you got the same problem. Now, you're using a self-contained amp/sub package, so you KNOW that your sub is wired correctly for the proper load impedance, and it's still acting the same.

This tell me that the problem isn't the amp and sub.

It could be a power problem. Are you sure you have a good power connection and ground? Perhaps try a separate battery for the sub, or run some wires directly to your existing battery (all the way to your battery, not your fuse box, and do not use a chassis ground). If it perks up, then you know it's a wiring issue you need to correct.

Try a new patch cord.

Then, the simple questions. Are you familiar with your amp input level control? Are you trying to connect both speaker-level and RCA inputs at the same time? Does you head-unit have line-out controls?