PDA

View Full Version : 400ex Tighten chain

JoshSim400ex
08-05-2006, 01:31 PM
Alright guys...I think I've looked everywhere and can't find a thread about how to get the chain back tight...I've looked at it and I just can't seem to figure it out..Pls help :)

rooster300ex
08-06-2006, 04:14 PM
There are 4 bolts that you need to loosen, just look for the round part of the swingarm and you'll see them, the axle also goes through this area you need to find. loosen them really good, then on the sprocket side in between the sprocket and the swingarm you need to turn the axle carrier toward you to tighten it up. don't over tighten it though. I use big channel locks on stock carriers because they break easy if you try to wedge things in them lil slots that are for adjusting it.

firefighterjosh
08-07-2006, 01:42 AM
There should be 4 Allen Bolts at the bottom of the swing in the back between the Sprocket and the Brake disc. Loosten them. Then between the Sprocket and the swingarm is a place you can put the allen tool. Turn that towards you to tighten and away to loosten the chain. You should have 1.5 Inches of slack in your chain after your done. Hope this helps.

JoshSim400ex
08-07-2006, 02:08 PM
Thanks guys I don't know what I'
m doing wrong but I can't get it to turn...Maybe I should try the channel lock idea..And when I loosen those allen bolts on the rear of the swingarm alot a little bit of fluid comes out..Looks like oil of some sort is that normal?

Scro
08-07-2006, 02:15 PM
If you ride in a lot of water, it will get in the carrier and spill out when you loosen the bolts. More than likely that's what it is.

400eXr1d3rZ
08-18-2006, 07:43 PM
sorry to bump an old thread but, what is the carrier? my chain desperatly needs tightening i cannot figure out what to turn after allen bolts

JoshSim400ex
08-26-2006, 12:41 PM
Thanks for all the help once more..I finally got it..Been working alot and havn't had a chance to mess with it in awhile but finally got to it this morning and was able to turn it with some big channel locks