PDA

View Full Version : RK CHAIN MASTER Link Trouble!

mrusk
08-23-2002, 02:02 PM
I am having trouble getting my rk chain master link on.

Here is a little diagram ___
1 1
___
oooo This is the clip
i cant get the flat plate on far enough so i can get the clip in the groove. What do i do. I tried c clamps but when ever i get it tight it slides off due to the residue on the chain.

Help me if u can.

matt

Razorback
08-23-2002, 02:50 PM
i had the exact same problem with that chain. i worked and worked with a set of pliers (channel locks?) and finally got it squeezed hard enough to smash the rubber washers down far enough to get the clip on. it irritated the pi$$ out of me, but i finally got it. you're probably just going to have to keep working at it. gotta get a lot of leverage on it...

Quadfather
08-23-2002, 02:54 PM
Rocky Mt and Dennis Kirk both sell a chian press made just for this problem. I've used mine a zillion times. Some master links you can snap on by hand, but I've seen more where the chain press is needed. I believe it was about 7-10 bucks.

Crypted1
08-23-2002, 03:21 PM
Chain press is the way to go. Get the combo. tool, it presses, sets the clip, and is a chain break. Its like $60.00 but its only one tool instead of three.

mrusk
08-23-2002, 03:26 PM
You know whats funny. I have a motion pro chain breaker. Guess what it broke when i was breaking the chain. The big bolt snapped in half..

matt

Crypted1
08-23-2002, 07:57 PM
I broke mine on my RK chain too. RK chains are super strong. That chain break is a piece o snit.

mrusk
08-23-2002, 07:59 PM
I am gonna call Motion Pro Monday and complain. First time using it and it breaks what the heck gives?

Atleast i know the chain is good!

matt

Quadfather
08-23-2002, 08:02 PM
Mine broke too. I found out that I was not tightening the pilot bolt down far enuff, and too much of the push pin was exposed, causing the breakage. If you use them right, they will do what they are supposed to do, for a long time. I called Motion Pro, after I broke it, and told them it was clearly my fault, and the dude there replaced the broken part, no questions asked.

08-23-2002, 08:35 PM
if its o ring put the o rings in a vice tighten it up then put clip on to were u just slip i ton and put a zip tie around the whole thing til u see the groves and tap the back side of the clip wit a hammer it will pop on

Big - D Racing
08-23-2002, 08:52 PM
your probably breaking them because you have to take a grinder to the end of the pin. Because if you look at them they are like mushroomed on the top that way they stay on for good. You have to grind the end off then it'll push out real easy with a chain breaker. If you don't grind it you'll more than likely break the breaker.

kicken250x
08-23-2002, 10:34 PM
i must have a good breaker then...

08-24-2002, 12:33 AM
I am gonna call Motion Pro Monday and complain. First time using it and it breaks what the heck gives?

Motion Pro is lame :blah

They had some errors in their catalog and I had caught them (eg. the flywheel/stator puller for the 400 was like 5mm too big etc) and I had brought this to their attention, and rather than just being polite and sending out a freebee of the correct one they had acted like I was full of BS. After seeing that I had saved them a lot of copies with the bad info all they offered was that they had corrected the problem with their printer, and never even said thanks or admitted they had a problem.

As far as chain breakers go get a good industrial one. They are designed to handle a range of sizes and will hold up to the smaller 520 chain very well. A good breaker will bust up the chain in no time and shouldnt require any grinding etc, if your breaker broke when you used there is a problem.