PDA

View Full Version : How r the 05's

gumby2461
08-04-2006, 05:28 PM
yo watup guys, well im sellin the 250r and gettin an 05 450r given the downpayment hopefully tomorow and should hav a nice black 05 with 5-6 hours on it with alot of extras. Now, i need to no if any of u guys hav ne problems wit them and how the power compares to the 06's and 07's

red4r
08-04-2006, 05:45 PM
05's are awesome lots of power...no problems wat so ever..at least for me...but as for comparison against the 06 im dead even with them at the dunes doing the hillshoots

MAD450r
08-04-2006, 05:48 PM
if its got hrc and full exhaust it'll hold its own against the 06's. I have yet to run a full piped and hrc's 06 so im not sure how that will compare.

as for potential problems, you have to change the oil alot and always check your filter because the lower rod bearing and the crank bearings have been known to go out on some late model 04 and early model 05's

tltcracing
08-04-2006, 05:53 PM
my 05 is awsome. no malfuncions or wearouts of any parts. i take oil and mantinence very serouisly because this quad is a little higher on the hard to take care of scale. but with you owning a 250R a 450R will feal like a walk in the park. the 06-07's do have some more power compaired to the 04-05 but not so much that they over shadow the older R. simply put you should have no complaints or second thoughts over buying the 05 450R. and good choice with going with another honda and the best quad out right now. :D

ghott
08-04-2006, 08:31 PM
Love mine!

Put a full exhaust on.
Cut the lid.
Jet it.

Hear her roar :).

B450r
08-04-2006, 10:25 PM
The 05's are awesome........u will find no problem with them........

i've looked at the specifications of the 05 to the 06 & 07 and i have seen no difference.......jus the price is higher for the 07.........

Flodies400ex
08-05-2006, 01:33 AM
it is actually a little bit faster for the 06 then the 04 05 because of the flat side carb and something else to do with it and the gearing is a little diffrent and thats what i heard and now with the HRC kit helps alot because i can beat anything quad with it

FGPA400ex
08-05-2006, 10:14 AM
i got a 05 about 4 weeks ago now and have had no problems at all nothing but a great time.... mine is stock for right now... i plan to get full exhaust, cut my airbox lid and jets... and from what i keep reading that will make it roar..... but overall seems like a great buy man. have fun.

gumby2461
08-10-2006, 10:57 AM
awesome...thanx alot guys the info was good...and all i have to do now is finish the paymetns and get my damn old r sold..im sure gunna miss her tho...o well i jus buy a nother one later i think i wanna set it up as a baja bike...some 22 inch razors 2's sound nice..and how often do u guys change the oil in it thanx.

MAD450r
08-10-2006, 12:00 PM
I wont go over 10 hours and I change both sides, some say I can do tranny side every other time. I do it everytime and im up over 150 hours easily and yet to rebuild it.

Still under warrenty so I wont dig into the motor till after warrenty is up.

gbcap
08-10-2006, 12:10 PM
atleast 100 hours on both my motors with no failures.

put a 12:1 piston in the 05 and you will be up with the 06.

the 06's are having starting problems. i plan on keeping my 05 for a while and just refresh it every time it needs it. i don't plan on upgrading unless they m ake a major change.

it will be a good choice.

CHEVYZ
08-10-2006, 03:40 PM
The 05 450r is a very good choice of bike. Between it and the newer models, each have things both better and worse. The new models are quicker in acceleration and about dead on, maybe a little faster on the top end... not fooling you or anyone else. I thought it was all pretty much rumors until I got one myself. However, I think that the 05 handles better and is easier to play around on. It also has more "power appeal" to be as it has snappier response and because of the shorter wheelbase. All of them have potential problems, I have had none with either of mine. If I had the choice, I would have bought both of them all over again LOL.

I can tell you that putting a 12:1 piston alone is not gonna make it keep up with the 06s, though. My 05 when it was in its prime (Still had a cam and minor work) could come close with and beat slightly modded 06s for the most part. I knew a guy who had the same work as me but with a 12:1 piston and without a cam. I could beat him all day long. Having a 12:1 is not what makes the 06 faster... honestly a change of piston barely increases performance. Not trying to scare you LOL, if you put a little time into your bike and do some minor things, depending on where you race you will have NO problem keeping up with and beating the new models.

If you change to 22s, depending on how those tires are sized, you will mostly wanna go down 1 tooth on the sprocket to keep some bottom end.

As for oil changes, I like to change my oil as much as possible... they don't hold much. After every couple rides, or after a trip of riding- a full day or so, I change the oil.