PDA

View Full Version : Naked LTR

Pappy
08-04-2006, 03:44 PM
I just powdercoated the first of many LTR frames, and I was pretty satisfied with how the frame is designed. It looks like Suzuki paid a bit more attention to the strength of this model!

DezSled
08-04-2006, 04:42 PM
Any chance of getting the weight of the frame? That black looks really sharp! Thanks

coryatver
08-04-2006, 04:58 PM
Looks good. I am starting to like the LTR's more and more every day. I wish they were narrower.

Pappy
08-04-2006, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by DezSled
Any chance of getting the weight of the frame? That black looks really sharp! Thanks

Strictly a geuss, I would say the frame itself is easily 10 pounds heavier then a 450R/400ex. Thats not a bad thing, the weight garnered from structral reinforcement:p

tomkfx700
08-04-2006, 09:24 PM
looks like a nice pc job. but i like the blue.

armysig
08-04-2006, 10:52 PM
Great job Pappy. I like the new color

I think it needs to have the Bare performance Gusset kit installed.

NormalZ the Bare Performance rider has it on his and it looks like it adds a ton of new strenth to the frame.

I would post pictures of the frame but I have been asked not to until Bare releases it on his own.

I can say this, Bare Performance came up with a fix for the recall also. It also adds more strenth than what Suzuki has suggested for the fix.

Contact Matt to get the details. He'll be happy to share them with you.

Pappy
08-04-2006, 11:08 PM
I hope what ever kit hits the market is well thought out. The frame has a ton of strength and adding gussets in the wrong area IMO is going to actually cause more problems then it would solve.

450r51
08-06-2006, 12:08 PM
but pappy, suzuki needs to add 10 lbs just to make a frame stronger then the 450r frame, that still imo shows suzuki cant make a frame.

LTandRaptorider
08-06-2006, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by 450r51
but pappy, suzuki needs to add 10 lbs just to make a frame stronger then the 450r frame, that still imo shows suzuki cant make a frame.

:rolleyes: And that's all I have to say about that... :rolleyes:

Pappy
08-06-2006, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by 450r51

Unfortunatley, the 450R and YFZ both have frames that are far from what anyone would consider strong. Even on frames sent here by trail riding folks, we find cracks almost always. They have serious issues in the main upper tube where the back upper engine mount is and I have seen more then my share of totaled frames due to this weakness.

I wont go on record and say the LTR is the best out of the bunch, but I feel its far from the worst.

Cody_300ex
08-06-2006, 09:36 PM
On average how much does a gusset kit add on pappy?

Pappy
08-06-2006, 09:43 PM
The average kit weighs nothing really, a geuss would be maybe a pound or two at the most. Mud adds more weight then a gusset kit:p

i will try and get some pics of the LTR frame in the next few days so anyone who cares can see it stripped of the fenders and engine etc.

dustinb
08-07-2006, 12:25 AM
Great Job on the powdercoating, i like the look at that frame, so maybe you will see mine one day.

armysig
08-07-2006, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
I hope what ever kit hits the market is well thought out. The frame has a ton of strength and adding gussets in the wrong area IMO is going to actually cause more problems then it would solve.

Matt spent a lot of time designing this gusset kit. I don't think placing a gusset in a spot is going to weaken the frame or cause other problems that he did not for see.

I have inspected the Bare Performance LTR almost every weekend with NormalZ and we haven't seen any cracks or other weaken points on the frame yet.

NormalZ's style of riding is MX and some trails. He's put this quad to the test as far as hard riding.

For pricing Bare Performance is offering the gusset kit at $75.00 and the instructions are great. I don't think anyone will have a problem installing this kit.

Pappy
08-07-2006, 08:31 AM
I wasnt putting down Matt, I use his kits.

And yes, you can cause issues with a gusset that spreads stress to an even weaker area of a part.

armysig
08-07-2006, 08:51 AM
Oh I know you were not doing that Pappy. I'm sorry if I wrote it incorrect. I know you do a lot of work with his gusset kits.

You are right though about other stress areas. Tom and I just can't see them yet if there are any. You know a lot more about that since you get to see the naked frames.

I just feel so strong about the Bare performance kits. I was turn on to them awhile ago and I thought it's just a great product.

BarePerformance
08-07-2006, 09:07 AM
Pappy is right on the money...you can over gusset or gusset in the wrong areas. That is one of the reasons the number of pieces in our kits range by model, we just put them where they are needed.

You have to pay attention to the size, location, where and how it will be welded and also keep in mind where other aftermarket parts will get mounted. There is a TON of R&D that goes into our kits.

Any rider who day after day beats on there frame from duning, jumping, racing, crashing, etc... is going to benefit from the use of our kits. The $75 is a small investment with huge payoffs in the peace of mind it brings knowing your frame is set and ready to take whatever you throw at it.

Our LTR kit benefits from years of experience and a trained eye that knows what to look for in gusseting. We even have the rear gusset that will more than solve the problem suzuki is recalling all the frames for.

If your interested, or have more questions, feel free to give us a call, I'd love to chat with you! Till then, ride hard, ride safe and have fun!

-Matt
765 744 0320

cchrider
08-11-2006, 10:54 AM
Man that turned out really good. Nice job. I also really love the way the LTR frames look.

yoshi470
08-13-2006, 10:15 PM
any chance i could get a price for powdercoating the frame?

bwamos
08-14-2006, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by yoshi470

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=183254

Pappy
08-15-2006, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by yoshi470

frames are $175-$225 depending on the color.

thanks bwamos....i don't get notifications to threads:ermm: so i miss some of them:(