PDA

View Full Version : different oil cooler i found on ebay!

brian400ex
08-23-2002, 12:01 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1853648237

Dunlap
08-23-2002, 01:17 PM
Well, it looks like Four Stroke Tech is being flattered by being copied by one of its customers. Unfortunately for him, he didn't check the patent before he started selling it. I wouldn't look for this guy to be in business too long.

Razorback
08-23-2002, 01:35 PM
:eek:

somebody's in trouble...

ranger400ex
08-23-2002, 02:28 PM
Yeah the guy is a member on here. He has been selling them on the website for a few weeks now. Do a search for coolers and his post will be on here. Patented eh....the idea or the product. Is it pending or finished?

Cooler's are nice but they can hurt flow, and the tanks seem unreliable, and cost $$$$. Working with a guy on here who alot of people have done business with to develop a different style of "tank" with cooling. Keep an eye out

ranger400ex
08-23-2002, 02:30 PM
PS Mickey- you guys put out some really nice setups. PM about the 500ex if it is still available. Been considering a few things. Thanks

BMW

L.Vegas400
08-23-2002, 02:44 PM
i stopped by a local shop today, an he had for sale that exact kit. he wanted $139 for the whole thing. he also had a once ridden e series and a jet kit for $275, is this a good price for the pipe and kit?

jbirklid
08-23-2002, 04:13 PM
Hello all,

I would have sent a PM, however, I wanted all on the forums to hear what I have to say

Mr. Dunlap,

I take offense to your accusation that I copied your product. I've only just recently heard of your company when, on a prior post on this board a member told me about it. I have never purchased a product from you, nor will I, after the lack of professionalism you demonstrated in your prior post. I submit that you are claming a right to an idea that already existed. The idea for my cooler came from a kit Dirt Mods came out with a couple years back for the 300ex. It’s almost exactly like your kit… Go figure! Do you pay Dirt Mods Royalties? There are several patents and applications for patents for cooling systems and methods, however only one even comes close to this product #5887561, careful if you make too much money, they might send a Cease and Desist order to you! But, I doubt it, the idea is not unique, the method is not unique, certainly the components are not unique and I don’t think it would withstand the scrutiny of the USPTO. However, I will give you the benefit of the doubt. If you have a patent application number (you can’t possibly have a patent unless you submitted your claim a couple of years back) and would kindly post it, I will verify your claim and if valid, I will Cease and Desist. Your post borders on libel if your claims cannot be substantiated. I don’t sell oil coolers for a living and certainly am not a competitor of your company. I’m just killing a little time down in my shop. If you have an issue with me you should have just emailed me in private. I’m certainly not trying to hide from anyone and you could have gotten my email from eBay. Geeeeez!

Jason Birklid

AtvMxRider
08-23-2002, 04:23 PM
:eek:

CranMan
08-23-2002, 05:23 PM
Well said Jason.....nothing against Mickey, but I don't see what's to patent on a oil cooler, what's unique about that? I thought a patent was for NEW ideas, I'm missing what's new here considering the EX comes stock with a very similar cooler to start with!!

brian400ex
08-23-2002, 05:45 PM
Looks like I opened up a big old can of worms!!!

oregonrider89
08-23-2002, 06:14 PM
I was wondering, which system is more efficent; a large capacity oil tank, such as a pingry or the system posted above?

thanks,
andy

FullBore52
08-23-2002, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by brian400ex
Looks like I opened up a big old can of worms!!!

My only advice to you is to get rid of this thread...lol

Looks like you changed the cooler anyway jbirklid...I like your design quite a bit better, looks like it would be stronger.

Ranger400ex, the pingry tanks are very well made, and have cooling tubes in them to help even more with keeping the engine cool. They are pretty spendy, but it seems to work alright on my EX.

kicken250x
08-23-2002, 06:40 PM
WELL U KNOW WHAT I THINK?..... i think i better stay out of this one...

Big - D Racing
08-23-2002, 09:05 PM
oil cooler kit keeps your engine a lot cooler than an oversized tank like pingry's. They claim up to 12 degrees cooler (oil temp). I've talked to people with it and tested the temp of it compared to stock and they said absolutely no difference in oil temp. between the two. Where as the four stroke tech claims up to 50 derees cooler!!! That is insane. I run it and have had no problems and i'm really happy with it especially since it is half the price of the tank.
P.s the guy selling on ebay sold his last kit for $202.50, that's $80 more than Four Stroke Tech. I take the buyer didn't know of four stroke tech's kit. I emailed him (the buyer) and told him, but no response.

mxriderona400ex
08-23-2002, 09:55 PM
the biddin is at 46$$ i would get it but i gotta have my $50 buks 2 go racin 2 morrow.

lansing400ex
08-24-2002, 02:29 PM
Why don't you guys make your own oil cooler. I just finished mine today. I went to the auto parts store and bought the smallest trans cooler they had for $31.00 along with brass fittings just like the ones FST shows with their kit.

I pulled the cam cover and right case cover off and installed the fittings. I also eliminated the cylinder base gasket and installed the XR 400 headgasket while things were apart.

I rode around a little today and noticed alot more bottom end. Tomorrow will be a true test when I go ride on the family farm.

Its easy to see where the fittings go with things pulled apart.

Lansing400EX

kicken250x
08-25-2002, 10:37 AM
how exactly does the FST cooler install on a 250x/300ex? like where does the oil exit the motor and enter the motor? do you take the banjo joint off and put the 2 L-joints on there? i think i might use lansing400ex's idea but i need to know how the oil gets out and in the motor? thanks...later...

Rastus
08-25-2002, 01:09 PM
On the right side of the motor(sitting on the quad) , see that black pipe that comes up about were the oil filter is?, and goes up to the top of the top end? Well, one 90* elbow fitting goes there(close to oil filter cover), to a hose, then the cooler, then another hose, then another 90* elbow to the top of the top end. get it ? :D

lansing400ex
08-25-2002, 06:17 PM
Hey Kicken250X,

I used to have a 98 300EX and I put a trans cooler on it also. I cut the black pipe going from the block to the head. I slipped the rubber hoses from the trans cooler over the top of the pipes and double clamped them. It worked great for the two years I had the 300EX. The 3/8 hose is a little big for the pipe but using two hose clamps on each one worked for me. Mounting the cooler will depend on its size and how much protection you want to give it. I laid the coolers on the 300EX and 400EX up against the frame ahead of the front shocks with the hose ends facing up. I plan on getting an AC mudscreen front bumper for the 400EX to shield the cooler. I put rubber hose and foam tape on the frame with zip ties to hold the cooler on. I found an old pic of my 300EX and will try to attach it to the post. You can see the cooler where I mounted it.

kicken250x
08-25-2002, 07:37 PM
aight kool thanks alot yall! illhave it on within 2 weeks and ill let you know how it works!! later...