PDA

View Full Version : octain fuel additave

1ride2for-god
08-04-2006, 09:01 AM
Is it all right to run octain fuel in my honda rancher, or will it hurt the pathetic little thing, lol.:blah: God bless ya peoples. :p

GPracer2500
08-04-2006, 09:28 AM
Don't do it. It won't hurt anything but 1) 99% of octane boosting products barely work and 2) octane levels higher than what's available at the pump will do NOTHING for your Rancher's engine (I'm assuming it's internally stock).

In almost every case, the only thing octane boosters are good for is helping turn really bad gas into acceptable gas. They are NOT good for turning already good gas into "super-duper wizz-bang ultra high performance" gas.

If you want more details about when high octane fuel should be used and why octane boosting products are inaffective then I can elaborate....otherwise I won't bore everyone with the details....

EXevan91
08-04-2006, 04:49 PM
"super-duper wizz-bang ultra high performance" gas.

Rofl

chad502ex
08-04-2006, 06:49 PM
here's the real formula ppl.

use this it really does work

Xylene 30% by volume

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/misc/octanebooster.html

enjoy. all the savings ppl are now going to save can be disposited in my swiss acount c/o chad :D

:macho

oh, acetone works well too!! :D

2muchquad
08-04-2006, 10:25 PM
Save your money.If you insist on running some additive,pour a oz of kerosene in your tank and you'll have the same thing.;)

1ride2for-god
08-05-2006, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by 2muchquad
Save your money.If you insist on running some additive,pour a oz of kerosene in your tank and you'll have the same thing.;)

Whats kerosene?:huh

NorCalRacer
08-08-2006, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by chad502ex
here's the real formula ppl.

use this it really does work

Xylene 30% by volume

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/misc/octanebooster.html

enjoy. all the savings ppl are now going to save can be disposited in my swiss acount c/o chad :D

:macho

oh, acetone works well too!! :D

Have you tried any of these? Any side effects?

chad502ex
08-08-2006, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by NorCalRacer
Have you tried any of these? Any side effects?

i've used acetone and troulene with zero side effects. whenever possible i add lead additives when possible.

GPracer2500
08-08-2006, 01:39 PM
Back when Formula 1 cars used 1.5 liter turbo engines (60 psi of boost!--these were the 1000+hp monsters) they used a fuel that was 84% toluene. Pure toluene has an octane rating of 124 MON and 112 RON. The rest was heptane (which has an octane rating of zero) which was added only to bring the total octane rating of the fuel back down to a level mandated by the FIA. The only caveat to using such high concentrations of toluene is that it doesn't vaporize especially well. Those F1 cars used heat ducted from the radiators to heat the fuel to a point were it would vaporize adequately...

Toluene is a good ocatane booster although I've never personally tried it. My original comments about octane boosters not working well were specific to the commercial octane boosters you typically find at an auto parts store.

ETA: I'm glad Chad spoke up because otherwise the "home brew" octane boosters might have been left out of the discussion.

NorCalRacer
08-09-2006, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the info:D I need to go get some tolulene now.

400exrider707
08-10-2006, 01:52 AM
Interesting topic. Ok lets say you were to use one of these home brews. Whats a safe amount to run in say a gallon of regular pump gas?

chad502ex
08-10-2006, 10:51 AM
i go to the local hardware store and pick up a couple of gallons of Xylene and mix 30% by volume. 1/3 of my tank or one gallon

GPracer2500
08-10-2006, 11:14 AM
Is there any reason to choose xylene over toluene or vice versa?

chad502ex
08-10-2006, 12:56 PM
technically, xylene will give you a little more umph than toulene even though the fuel distributors drop toulene tablets before delivery to the stations, but at a slightly higher cost at the hardware store. Plus, xylene is easier to find at the paint store than toulene. just from my experience that's all..... i'm no chemist, just an engineer

skull2002
08-11-2006, 08:05 AM
just buy "cam2" fuel. 110 octane, 4.12 a gallon. that will open that lil piggy up! (you will know its the real stuff, it is red).

400exrider707
08-11-2006, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by skull2002
just buy "cam2" fuel. 110 octane, 4.12 a gallon. that will open that lil piggy up! (you will know its the real stuff, it is red).

Cam2 is over $6 a gallon here so no thanks

Chad thanks for the info. Is there any restrictions I should look at before trying this out? Will I even notice this from seat of the pants? Any specific reasons to not run this in my 450R? Thanks for the great info guys.

nicktrx450r
08-11-2006, 01:18 PM
i mixed 110 in my tank with some regular. didnt feel a differnce. but it smelled nice.lol.....

dork
08-12-2006, 09:58 AM
i've run toluene in 35% mix. if you're going to be using tank fulls of it mixed, then add a couple of ounces of marvel mystery oil to provide some lubrication. like gpracer said, the downside to toluene is it doesn't vaporize well, but its the main ingriedient in most race gas i think.

NorCalRacer
08-12-2006, 10:18 AM
I can't get pure tolulene around my area but I can get pure Acetone. Marvel mystery oil is a good idea, but I was a little worried about plastic and O-rings in the fuel system with the Acetone. I threw about half of a gallon in my truck tank and it seemed to love it, I am about ready to try it in my ATK. It is frustrating because it is 13.5-1 compression and the best gas you can buy in CA is 91, so I need a solid way to boost octane.

Thanks for the input guys
:devil:

dork
08-12-2006, 08:32 PM
do some research on the net, i don't think you're going to want to run acetone. it doesn't boost octane like toluene or xylene do. acetone helps improve the vaporization of gas, its an old mpg trick. i can get toluene at ace hardware in NY.

400exstud
08-13-2006, 03:36 PM
This is very interesting because when I go riding I have to fill up at stations along the 100+ mile loop. This limited me to 93 octain max because race or AV gas isn't getting strapped to the back of my ATV in large quantities:o .

Now I can have a chance to do more to my motor thanks to you guys.

chad502ex
08-13-2006, 04:18 PM
your welcome.

Ray Hall has been involved and building sick turbos for years,...

here is a link to further detail the octane booster or additives and also other fuels too....

check it out
http://www.turbofast.com.au/racefuel.html

here is a "acetone" link..

http://www.turbofast.com.au/racefuel13.html