PDA

View Full Version : 400ex electrical problem

outofsight
08-03-2006, 03:13 PM
I have a problem with 400 i cant figure out. It started when my mom was riding it and the battery support bracket broke and the battery fell out. It broke the negative cable so I bought a new one from napa. The starter doesnt work now. The lights work and the engine runs but you have to pop the clutch. Maybe the starter relay? I dont know. All connections and the fuse seem fine. I appreciate any advice as I need to sell it soon. Thanks

Wildbrain
08-03-2006, 07:51 PM
Test the battery.
One of the plates inside may have broken.

1fst400
08-03-2006, 08:15 PM
cross the terminals on your starter relay with somthing metal. If the starter works then. It could be a bad relay along with a milion other things.

Once you try crossing it let us know what hapends.

Also when you push the starter buton does it make a click sound coming from the relay? If so it could be a bad batery, Heck it could be a bad ground because you dident get the connectino good enough...

I doubt that you could have hurt the batery, I draged mine for a lap on a mx track befor it gave up and fell off. Batery had a hole in the side of it and some sprocket bite, but still worked till I replaced it a cupple days later.

outofsight
08-04-2006, 08:39 AM
It did make a clicking sound but when i crossed it sparks came flying off and now it does nothing. Maybe it is the ground. Where does the ground go to on the 400? Thanks so far.

1fst400
08-04-2006, 08:58 PM
forgot to warn you about the sparks.. thats what I planed would hapen. If your quick with a skrew driver you can do it with minimul spark.

make shure your negitive batery strap is conected to the frame good. If that doesent work the subframe has to have a good ground to the main frame. This hapends to lots of ppl when they get their frames back from powder coating. Quad will do absolutly nothing when you hit the starter buton.

I say try crossing the terminals again, if nothing hapends wiggle all your conections. Try the starer buton, if it works then you have a bad conection on your batery. Next sit on the bike and wiggle side to side, I had to do this all the time, it wiggles the conection from the subframe to the frame. If that dont work try crossing the terminals. If the starter moves then I would say bad solonoid or fuse.

hope thats helps. its easier to fix electrical problems in person.