PDA

View Full Version : 450r Carb/Overflow/Wont Idle/Dies at Top End Question!!!!

gbcap
08-03-2006, 11:51 AM
specs:
2005 450r
alba pipe. 185 main. 50 pilot. uni filter.

well last race i only went about 2 miles. the bike was running great with a high idle like i like it though. i went to go up a hill and really get into the bike and it fell flat on its face. if i rolled on the throttle is wasnt too bad it was just when i really got into it. either way it would fall flat on the top end. like DEAD flat. and it just got worse as i was coming down the hill anytime i hit the throttle i had to be really careful.

i pulled it in the trailer and just stopped.

i got home. pulled it out. started first kick, ran for 2-3 minutes great. full speed. full throttle. no problems. when it started to get warm it fell flat on its face again.

pulled it up to the garage. changed the k&n filter to a uni foam filter. pulled off the carb and took it apart. was clean. saw a few small things in there but NOTHING major by anymeans. put it all back together, played with the float, pulled all jets. everything was in working order and not clogged.

put it all back together put the tank on. turned on the gas. started the qaud. it needed choke and about 5 kicks. started and ran great. went down thru the feild and died going up a steep 8ft bank. got to the bottom of the bank and the overflow was running. it was also coming out the connection to the intake and the carb. as soon as i turned off the gas it stopped. so i figured a stuck float. rapped on the side of the carb a few times to maybe get it unstuck. turned back on the gas and a very small amount came out. kicked it a few times didn't want to start. choke and a small bit of throttle after i finished the kick and it would start up. as soon as i let go of the throttle it dies. played with the idle adjustment. 20 turns both ways...nothing. it will run and sounds good with some throttle but won't idle.

what do you all think the problem is? before i take it all back apart to get the carb off.

GPracer2500
08-03-2006, 12:38 PM
At first I was thinking it was a gas tank venting problem. But then when you said is was puking fuel all over--it's almost got to be a float problem or float needle valve problem. Don't forget to check for a pin hole that might be causing the float to fill with fuel making it fail to operate even if it's moving freely...

2muchquad
08-04-2006, 10:37 PM
You said your carb was clean,make sure there is no crud in the seat,that will not let it close completely and fuel will continue to run out of the carb.good luck

1fst400
08-05-2006, 06:53 AM
sounds like its geting to much gas to me. when its cold it will run but as soon as it warms up it runs rich. A colder motor will run leaner and when it gets hot it cant burn the gas as good or sumthin. Just seems that hot motor dont like to much gas. Hope that makes scence. Im shure someone can explain it better than me.

I would also say that the needle seat is gumed up. Does it have a hot start line going to the carb? Because I know my on my 450r that cable was being pulled on when I landed from jumps causing it to sputter. Mabie yours is part way open.:confused:

cals400ex
08-05-2006, 09:45 AM
if fuel was coming out of the overflow there is a good chance your float was sticking. you can try tapping it with a hammer to get it free or you can take it back off and spray around the float with some carb cleaner.

gbcap
08-06-2006, 08:21 PM
thanks for all the replys. all it ended up being was the idle adjustment screw. i started easy and it paid off. took me longer to write the post then fix the problem. i was just so far out of adjustment a few turns wasn't making a difference.