PDA

View Full Version : trail ride in southern ky

CNC_guy
08-03-2006, 11:30 AM
We had 16 people gather for trail ride in the Monticello area last Saturday (7-29). The conditions were perfect. It had rained the night before so there was no dust and much of the day was overcast so it wasn't so darn hot. We basically had 2 groups....a fast group and a slow group so there was some waiting around but a fun time was had by all anyways. I'll see if I can post a few pics.

This place is called the preaching ground.

CNC_guy
08-03-2006, 11:31 AM
table rock

CNC_guy
08-03-2006, 11:32 AM
table rock 2

CNC_guy
08-03-2006, 11:33 AM
it was a bit muddy

CNC_guy
08-03-2006, 11:34 AM
water rockhouse

CNC_guy
08-03-2006, 11:35 AM
carpenter's rockhouse

CNC_guy
08-03-2006, 11:37 AM
This guy is almost out but he's high centered and tired of rocking back and forth. Yes, some of us are laughing at him.

CNC_guy
08-03-2006, 11:38 AM
I think he got out right after this pic.

CNC_guy
08-03-2006, 11:43 AM
This is a nice little trail shot. That's my 450R on the left. I've been out of riding for 10yrs and recently found a new leftover '05. It's good to be back.:D
I really like it except for the high gearing....man I gotta get the gearing down for our type of trails.

I was surprised at how well the buggy kept up. It was actually a lot of fun to watch him go through mud holes and climb hills. He kept right up with the utility guys.

72 chevelle ss
08-03-2006, 09:00 PM
looks like pretty good riding down there man, where at in kentucky is it? how far south

BEARAZZ
08-06-2006, 03:23 AM
Whatz up.. I'm in adair co.. When are you going back.. I have been over there about 5 years ago but didn't really know much about the place and would like to go with some people that did ..

hondamanex400
08-06-2006, 11:38 PM
First off, Welcome back to the sport! Second, a railbuggy will go anywhere an ATV can go (except between tight trees). They are a blast to drive and a blast to ride in. (My dad used to have 2, until we traded them for our ATV's.) I live off of exit 154 (off of I-75), and have been looking for new places to ride. I already know of Big Rock (I break too many things), and Haspin (too much sand). I have some quick questions about where yall went riding.
1) How do you get there?
2) How much was it to ride?

Thanks,

Jeremy

CNC_guy
08-07-2006, 08:36 AM
Monticello is located in Wayne County, KY. Most of these pics were taken very close to the KY/TN border. That last pic was about 3 miles from the state line.

It's sort of hard for me to explain how to get to these trails and where to ride because there are so many places but there is nothing that is organized. We don't pay to ride or to park or anything like that. It's a shame really because there is so much good riding here.

My parents have a farm very close to all this and we've actually been kicking around the idea of letting people park there and giving guided rides. I've even talked with the local police department about the possibility of riding on the blacktop (it's very rural) for the couple miles it takes to get to the woods from the farm and they said they were willing to try it as long as people didn't get stupid. If there was enough interest this is definitely something that could happen.

I've been told by some here at work that there is a guy that gives guided tours from Hancock Grocery which is located close to the trails. You could probably call them at 606-340-8154. That's probably the closest thing we have to any organized riding here in the county.

CNC_guy
08-09-2006, 07:52 AM
A buddy of mine had a few more pics....

This is the first mudhole of the day.

CNC_guy
08-09-2006, 07:53 AM
an interesting little rock to maneuver down

CNC_guy
08-09-2006, 07:54 AM
the only real accident of the day.....his new nickname is tyler turnover

Backseatrider L
08-16-2006, 10:24 PM
If you want some good riding trails from easy to extreme, come to Evarts, KY in Harlan county.
The trails are great, and all marked according to how difficult they are.
You will be welcomed by all the town's people, and they will do whatever they can to make sure you have a wonderful time.
The riding of trails are FREE. No permits, no riding fees.
The two RV and tent camping areas are FREE along with FREE electricity and FREE water.
The town of Evarts is ATV friendly, meaning you may ride your toy to the restaurants, get gas, stores, or anywhere else in town as long as you obey the laws.
Check out the website www.kyoutdoors.com/hcrr/