PDA

View Full Version : chain slack keeps tightening

71_400TRX
08-03-2006, 11:09 AM
i have a renthal 14t front a 38t rear with a d.i.d. atv x-ring chain on my 04 trx 400ex. ill get the right chain slack adjustment and after about 2-3 hard laps theres not even a 1/4 inch of slack in it. thats even in nuetral...but the strange thing is when i got it home last night the chain slack was fine....wtf!?!

08-03-2006, 11:53 AM
when you adjust the chain have some 1 sit on the quad

400eXr1d3rZ
08-03-2006, 12:08 PM
sorry for "hijacking" your thread but:

How much slack should you have on your chain?

brapbrap13
08-03-2006, 12:17 PM
are u tighting it enough?

GPracer2500
08-03-2006, 01:18 PM
I'm almost sure the adjustment for your chain isn't moving. It is very common for there to be tight spots and loose spots as the chain rotates around the sprockets. If you happen to have the chain postioned in a loose spot when you adjusted it then it may go tight by just rotating the the wheels around and re-orienting the chain to a different postion on the sprockets. This is why you should always look for the loosest spot in the chain and then set the tension. It might be slightly looser than ideal when the chain is in a different spot but that's better than being too tight somewhere.

The reason for these loose and tight spots is because of slight uneveness in the wear taking place in the chain, manufacturing tolerances of the sprockets and sprocket carrier, and maybe the biggest variable is how the sprocket is postioned on the carrier. It only takes a tiny difference in some tolerance for the chain to show a tight spot in one postion and a loose spot in another.