PDA

View Full Version : ESR airbox eliminator kit

mattonln
08-03-2006, 01:27 AM
Hey, i bought this kit and put it on my bike, thinking i'd get a better power increase over the stock airbox with no lid and a K&N. Should be safe enough since I only ride dunes. Put it on and lost tons of power. called ESR and they thought I was lean, went up from a 170 main to a 185 and it would barely run. had to go down to a 160 and still not as good of power as I used to have. I was just wondering if anyone else has this kit and what they've experienced. Thanks - Matt

tt racer
08-03-2006, 06:25 AM
I have it on my yfz, you will have to move your needle position and bump up your main, also adjust your air fuel screw. It may take awhile but be paitent you will get it.

buck naked-r
08-04-2006, 09:27 PM
i heard that taking the air-box off will cause a power loss on bottom-mid with a slight increase on top.....[check some dyno out on this]

and they work better on the yfz's

but not the trx

i think the problem is in the airboot

just do like i did and cut a hole in the bottom of the box.....that way you get to keep the stock airboot and have alot more air flow

buck naked-r
08-04-2006, 09:29 PM
without-filter

400exrider707
08-04-2006, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by buck naked-r

and they work better on the yfz's

but not the trx

i think the problem is in the airboot

Can you please explain why it works on one quad and not the other?:confused:

buck naked-r
08-04-2006, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Can you please explain why it works on one quad and not the other?:confused:

the yfz comes with a not so good intake and the trx comes with a very good one>>>[one thats hard to beat]

quadhauler
08-04-2006, 10:15 PM
IF you can dial in the jetting, an engine with no airbox will outperform an engine with an airbox. It's basic physics, more air equals more power as long as you jet it correctly...

buck naked-r
08-05-2006, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by quadhauler
IF you can dial in the jetting, an engine with no airbox will outperform an engine with an airbox. It's basic physics, more air equals more power as long as you jet it correctly...
that's not always true.......it's not all about how much air vs. how fast the air flows through.

maybe someone who knows about this can explain it better

theres dyno's of correctly jetted bikes without the airbox and they loss power on bottom-mid....with better peak power.

mattonln
08-06-2006, 02:26 PM
its velocity of the air, not the amount of airflow. its almost identical to porting a cylinder. you can make your ports as big as you want and just fck them up. its not about size, its all velocity.

khen
08-06-2006, 04:33 PM
I didn't notice a loss or gain with the ESR airbox eliminator kit, but I wasn't expecting to either. I bought it for the weight savings and so I could remove the bulky airbox.

I'm pleased with how well it filters in the sand, mud and dust.

BTW, I also smoothed out the transition in the intake tube with metal puddy, not sure how much that helped.

DirtDevilBT
08-10-2006, 06:04 PM
I couldn't see removal of the airbox helping. The carb is just so big and only so much air can get through it, unless you turbo it lol. I can see it helping quads that don't have good intake boots to the carb, the straighter the better, and if the esr kit does that then good. I would see a cut box or one with no lid helping more because it will trap the air around the filter better, allowing the engine to pull it in. With no box the air moves past the filter, more air but more turbulance past the filter. Dunno, sounds good though right lol.

norcal67
09-04-2006, 12:17 PM
I bougt my 450r from a buddy of mine who needed money badly. Anyhow, I did put the ESR airbox eliminator on, and noticed a bit more performance, but the best thing to do is have a shop put in on a dyno, and they can show you the before and after curves.

So far I have the esr airbox eliminator, HRC cam kit, Trinity stage 4 pipe. Before and after dyno test showed a 14 hp gain. Almost need to put a seatbelt on the beast to keep from being yanked off when Im drag racing down at pismo beach.

buck naked-r
09-06-2006, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by norcal67
[

So far I have the esr airbox eliminator, HRC cam kit, Trinity stage 4 pipe. Before and after dyno test showed a 14 hp gain. Almost need to put a seatbelt on the beast to keep from being yanked off when Im drag racing down at pismo beach. [/B]

i hope you don't believe that dyno.

DirtDevilBT
09-07-2006, 08:59 PM
lol, if you add up all that is claimed from each part you prolly get that. Why can't he get a 30% increase with basic bolt ons. lol:D
Shi.t I hope I got a respectable 14 hp more out of my work.:p

leadfoot_52
09-07-2006, 10:12 PM
Wow! sounds like a pretty big gain there. I gained a whole 5 horsepower out of my 06 with HRC, Yosh, and a can of nitro.