PDA

View Full Version : My Brakes...WtF!?

ShiftFMX
08-02-2006, 08:04 PM
Ok, So my brakes on my truck have been acting up lately. My ABS light is on. You know how when you slam on your brakes REALLY hard and it kind of feels like it rumbles(ABS). Well, Sometimes When I barely push my brake in there is ALOT of resistance and that rumble feeling! Whats going on! Please help me out because I'm driving about 1500 miles at the end of the month!

brian-250
08-02-2006, 08:15 PM
Sounds like it's high time for pads and rotors to me, You have a LTD F250 still right?

ShiftFMX
08-02-2006, 08:24 PM
Yeah I still Drive the 250LD.

My dads friend is going to take a look at it, I sure hope its not expensive!!

400exrules
08-02-2006, 08:32 PM
kinda off topic, but i have ABS, and i locked my brakes up today :confused:
some dude in front of me slammed on his brakes and i slammed on mine and my tires screeched...:huh oh well, it stopped me lol

Toadz400
08-02-2006, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
kinda off topic, but i have ABS, and i locked my brakes up today :confused:
some dude in front of me slammed on his brakes and i slammed on mine and my tires screeched...:huh oh well, it stopped me lol

That's probably a good thing, I haven't found a good use for ABS yet. All it does is create more problems than it does solve.

I'd say it's time to check your pads, and if your brakes are getting that bad you probably have worn down to the rotor so make sure you check those too.

450robot
08-02-2006, 08:53 PM
if its rumbling under all braking pressures, chances are your rotors are distorted, and may need machined

JOEX
08-02-2006, 08:54 PM
The ABS light came on in my Dakota last year, it was a fuse:ermm:

I was told the brakes will still work but the ABS wont....

stalefish_132
08-02-2006, 08:57 PM
comon ford problem, you'll either need new rotors ( might only need fronts) they are like $40 maybe even less and pads to go with. if they aren't to bad they can be lathed down to take the un eveness out. caused by hard breaking and extreme heat.

brian-250
08-02-2006, 09:19 PM
I dont know what shops charge in MI but around here it's only $10 more to buy a new rotor then it is to have them turned. Your money ahead buy just buying new ones. Sounds like warped rotors if its rumbling. And yes most ABS systems are junk, and very hard to work on. just my $0.2.

yamablaster24
08-02-2006, 09:28 PM
does it pull to one side? Most likely rotors. I would honestly just replace with new pads n rotors.

DieselBoy
08-03-2006, 12:03 AM
faulty ABS sensor

pull up the error code & replace as neccessary.

sakirocket28
08-03-2006, 12:39 AM
hey, i need help too..not tryin to steal ur thread, but my dad has a 98 f-150 that is doing the same thing. it rumbles like crazy when you just tap the breaks, and the back drums are spongy as hades. im gonna have to check the drums tomorrow...what a pain. but does anyone know what might be causing the rumbling? i replaced the rotors a week ago, so there fine, and the calipers are straight and true, and the pads arent loose...im out of ideas:ermm:

your2slo2
08-03-2006, 04:25 AM
Originally posted by sakirocket28
hey, i need help too..not tryin to steal ur thread, but my dad has a 98 f-150 that is doing the same thing. it rumbles like crazy when you just tap the breaks, and the back drums are spongy as hades. im gonna have to check the drums tomorrow...what a pain. but does anyone know what might be causing the rumbling? i replaced the rotors a week ago, so there fine, and the calipers are straight and true, and the pads arent loose...im out of ideas:ermm:

I also have an f150 and had similiar problems with the rear brakes . Here is what I found upon closer looking I noticed outward dents on my rearend cover so I pulled it off to find a bolt missing out of my ring gear so the bolt loosened up fell out and was rubbing against the sprocket for my abs which knocked all the teeth off so the sensor wasnt reading right . So my quick fix was to unplug the abs on the firewall even though it turned my abs light and brake light on in the dash I have better brakes then I have ever had . Hope that helps just try unplugging your abs .

MOFO
08-03-2006, 04:55 AM
Originally posted by DieselBoy
faulty ABS sensor

pull up the error code & replace as neccessary.

or they could be covered in brake dust and just need cleaned. This is a common issue on GM trucks 99-02.

your2slo2
08-03-2006, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by MOFO
or they could be covered in brake dust and just need cleaned. This is a common issue on GM trucks 99-02.

Most f150 trucks only have rear abs and the speed sensor is located on the differential , which gets the speed reading from a sprocket bolted to the ring gear . so on the fords its most likely not brake dust .

MOFO
08-03-2006, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by your2slo2
Most f150 trucks only have rear abs and the speed sensor is located on the differential , which gets the speed reading from a sprocket bolted to the ring gear . so on the fords its most likely not brake dust .

Yep, that rules out dust! :)

NorCalRacer
08-03-2006, 09:02 AM
Try pulling your ABS fuse and see how it drives. My buddy's explorer braked terrible, we disconnected his ABS and it has worked perfect for a few years now. :D Who really needs ABS anyways except for old ladies?

sakirocket28
08-03-2006, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by your2slo2
I also have an f150 and had similiar problems with the rear brakes . Here is what I found upon closer looking I noticed outward dents on my rearend cover so I pulled it off to find a bolt missing out of my ring gear so the bolt loosened up fell out and was rubbing against the sprocket for my abs which knocked all the teeth off so the sensor wasnt reading right . So my quick fix was to unplug the abs on the firewall even though it turned my abs light and brake light on in the dash I have better brakes then I have ever had . Hope that helps just try unplugging your abs .

thanks for the info! will be tryin that here in a few mins!:)

400exrider707
08-03-2006, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by NorCalRacer
Try pulling your ABS fuse and see how it drives. My buddy's explorer braked terrible, we disconnected his ABS and it has worked perfect for a few years now. :D Who really needs ABS anyways except for old ladies?

You ever tried driving on black ice without ABS? I realize ABS systems aren't perfect, and they do cause a lot of mechanical problems on cars (usually its just a faulty sensor), but I will say it is one of the greatest things ever. Most people who say they dont like them and wish we didn't have them, obviously dont understand anything, because a locked up tire will not stop as quick as one that maintains a continuous contact patch with the road.

NorCalRacer
08-03-2006, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
You ever tried driving on black ice without ABS? I realize ABS systems aren't perfect, and they do cause a lot of mechanical problems on cars (usually its just a faulty sensor), but I will say it is one of the greatest things ever. Most people who say they dont like them and wish we didn't have them, obviously dont understand anything, because a locked up tire will not stop as quick as one that maintains a continuous contact patch with the road.

No ABS is better than defective ABS? I drive on black ice every winter. I sure wouldn't want to do it with defective brakes:rolleyes:
Learn how to drive and ABS isn't all that important anyways, but I would never advocate dismantling a functioning system.

your2slo2
08-03-2006, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by sakirocket28
thanks for the info! will be tryin that here in a few mins!:)

Well if there is ever a topic that I can give a little bit of information to I will always try my best . Hope it helps you out and after time you learn to ignore those lights in the dash .