PDA

View Full Version : powder coating vs. paint?

TRXNIGHTRIDER
08-02-2006, 07:31 PM
how long does painting a frame last for? is powder coating a frame really worth the money or would paint hold up long enough?

bubba's400ex
08-02-2006, 07:40 PM
if you have the mony go with powder if not you can paint but if you do it yourself like me you will have to tuch it up if you hit anything hard like a tree on rock or something.

Pappy
08-02-2006, 07:47 PM
Other then a few paints on the market (none of which you can get in a rattle can) there is no comparison between paint and power. I do 4 or 5 frames a month that were painted and never even made it to reassembly before it was chipping.

If you plan on keeping the atv, have it powder coated.

DOHC
08-02-2006, 07:55 PM
i painted my frame (not rattle good stuff) and i have to touch it up alot and its only been rebuilt for about 2 months now lol. i would have gone with power but im poor lol

stalefish_132
08-02-2006, 09:25 PM
mine is painted. my dad has been doing auto body for 25 years and he knows paint. the stuff that is my frame i could hit ti wiht a hammer and it wouldn't chip off:eek2: some of the industrail paint for loging trucks heavy equipment etc. hold up very well. yes i do have 3-4 small chips in my frame but it take 5 minutes to touch them up. best thing is to have a good primer and good paint and lots of clear coat (what makes the paint durable) powder coat is great to, more costly but it does hold up good, lots of color choices.
i ride pretty hard XC style and i've seen guys with PC'd frames that have more chipping on their frame than i have on mine.
most people just use a spray can and think it will hold up but their is a big differance between the two.

for me i'll never have anything PC'd on my quad.:D

pic after 5 months of riding...

ride_red666
08-02-2006, 09:58 PM
id say get it powder coated. ive had it done for about 2 months now of hard trail and mx riding and its holding up great. i got mine done for $75.

krt400ex
08-04-2006, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
Other then a few paints on the market (none of which you can get in a rattle can) there is no comparison between paint and power. I do 4 or 5 frames a month that were painted and never even made it to reassembly before it was chipping.

If you plan on keeping the atv, have it powder coated.

x2

Wildbrain
08-04-2006, 07:26 PM
Powder Coat.
Makes it Tough

:muscle:

bayou boy
08-04-2006, 07:48 PM
when i had my 300 i blasted the frame and used a good epoxy primer and used imron paint. it is kind of pricey but it worked pretty good. it held up until i sold it 1 1/2 year later but after it was all done it was not much cheaper than powder coat

jonboy
08-05-2006, 04:46 PM
In my opinion powdercoating is cheaper in the long run. Especially if you consider how many times you have to redo or touch up the paint. There is a guy here locally that does Quad frames for $125 his name is Steve Smith and he is very talented. He even does custom graphics in powder, which is something I have seen done once before this guy. Check out his site at www.gforcecoatings.com www.gforcecoatings.com (http://)
I dont know if the link I inserted will work or not.