PDA

View Full Version : Noise in the rear, maybe bearings??

Jay300ex
08-22-2002, 10:54 PM
I go to lube up my chain now and when I rotate the tires I hear a squeek ( i spell that wrong? ) . well anyway, its not the brakes, and I can only assumes it bearings inside where the axle connects to the bike, cant place name of that. anyway, its probably a good idea to fix this, but is it needed really soon? I plan on taking the bike apart for the suspension and stuff in the winter and was going to do it then, along with front bearings and stuff.

Noise wont turn to performance affect within that time will it? ;)

Castor-426ex
08-22-2002, 10:57 PM
is your axle tight in the carrier??

jgray
08-23-2002, 06:19 AM
I had a similiar squeak in the rear of my 300ex. It went away now though.. Well it went away after I blew a bearing.. Do yourself a favor and replace the bearing befor ethey blow out.. Bearing = $25
Axle Carrier = $180 (HerrmannRacing.com)

Good luck
Jason

Scott
08-23-2002, 06:37 AM
I had to replace my axle bearings after 2 seasons of woods riding. I wouldn't expect a 2002 to need them already. Prop the back wheels up off the ground and spin the tires, they should turn free and coast several rotations before they stop (assuming your brakes aren't dragging). Also try shaking the rear tires and see if there is any play in the bearings. If they don't spin freely or if there is play in the bearings, they need replaced.

Jay300ex
08-23-2002, 08:06 PM
Well, Everything is tight, and there is plenty of free play to allow the wheel to spin. Actually now that I think about it this noise isnt constant, I rolled it out of the garage today and no noise came. This noise is exactly like one that comes off of my BMX bike when I am moving, and thats a rubber seal that seals off the rear bearings. Well anyway, maybe they just need to be lubed up =)

Jay