PDA

View Full Version : wheelies always bend to the right

OH'S 400ex
08-02-2006, 04:06 PM
ok, i just called up my local dealer and basically got laughed at. i asked him what they could do for my quad always doing wheelies that bend to the right.

he responded "are you serious"

now i know this can come off as a stupid question but ive checked the basics - tire pressure is fine, axle isnt bent. the one thing it might be is how my rear left tire whobbles along with the front tire from a flip.

i would love to be able to fix this myself but if i bring it to the shop what am i expecting to pay?

i really would love any advice but be easy on the comments im learning here

3exrider23
08-02-2006, 04:25 PM
do u put ur foot in the grab bar. if so u might be putting to much wait to one side. other than that all i would say is recheck tire pressure

OH'S 400ex
08-02-2006, 04:28 PM
ya i put my foot on the grab bar from time to time but when i do regular wheelies it has the same result.

well i'm going to check everything over again before i bring it to the shop

brapbrap13
08-02-2006, 06:09 PM
axle carrier? rim bent? hub bent? tire not in the bead right?

SwainRacing
08-02-2006, 06:20 PM
Check both your rear tire circumfrances. Just because you have the same tire pressure in each rear tire dosent meen they are the same circumfrance. We used to do this in drag racing. Good luck.

stocktires
08-03-2006, 03:39 PM
An old quad of mine did the same, after I put a longer axle on it the problem got worse (go figure). Turned out there was a tweakage in the frame.

OH'S 400ex
08-03-2006, 03:41 PM
ya thats worse case scenario

i did crash it pretty bad a few years ago so the frame could be bent

whats a frame go for $300-$400?

05trx400exridr
08-05-2006, 08:35 PM
if you want a quick easy fix you can just put a couple more pounds of pressure in the right tire and let a little air out of the left. but i'd set the pressures back to normal before you do do too many huge jumps or anything.

08-10-2006, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by 05trx400exridr
if you want a quick easy fix you can just put a couple more pounds of pressure in the right tire and let a little air out of the left. but i'd set the pressures back to normal before you do do too many huge jumps or anything.

That sounds good :D saves you $300

cchrider
08-10-2006, 11:47 PM
See I would think the axle would be bent. Or tire pressure, but you said that you checked that. I am thinking axle. You said that one rim might be bent or something like that?? Try taking that bent wheel or whatever and putting it on the other side. And see if it turns to the other side. And IMO I think that is a bunch of crap of your dealer laughing at you for that question. They are there to help you and give you service I dont care what the question be. You are wondering if there is something wrong with you quad, they should be helping you. This is just my opinion.

wilkin250r
08-14-2006, 02:35 PM
Before you go spending hundreds of dollars on a frame, or a bunch of money at a shop to diagnose the problem, take a few moments and think about it.

The ONLY thing that can cause your quad to turn when you wheelie is your wheels. It cannot be your frame, it cannot be your axle, it cannot be your swingarm. Those things could be issues if you had all four wheels on the ground, because your front wheels might not be in line with your rear wheels. But when you only have two wheels on the ground, they HAVE to be in line with each other, it's impossible not to be. With only two wheels on the ground, they HAVE to travel in a straight line, even if something above them is bent or tweaked. It would cause your quad to LEAN to one side, but it would still go straight. The only thing that could cause your quad to turn would be if one wheel is bigger than the other.

Even if your axle is bent, that would only create a wobble. And it would be REALLY easy to tell if your axle is bent, just get your quad up to 30mph on pavement. If you have a bent axle, you'll feel it.

Now I'll contradict myself. A bent frame might cause it by putting more weight on one side. But if it was bad enough to do that, it would be easy enough to see with your eyes. Stand your quad up on your grabbar and step back several feet. You'll be able to see if your frame is bent bad enough to cause it to turn.

Try a simple trick. Swap your rear wheels from one side to the other. If it now turns to the left, then you have a tire problem. If it still turns to the right even after you swap wheels, you have a weight-bias problem.

F-16Guy
08-14-2006, 04:44 PM
What brand of tires do you have? I made the mistake of buying a set of Fast Trekkers a long time ago, and the quality was horrible. Not a single tire in the set was consistant. The circumference of the two back tires was so different that even a huge difference in air pressure didn't completely fix the problem. Take a string and wrap it around the middle of one tire, and then mark the length. Now wrap it around the other tire and see if it's the same. If not, that's your problem; and like Wilkin said, it pretty much has to be.

OH'S 400ex
08-16-2006, 07:23 AM
thanks for the replies guys

i will try that if i have time after work today but my cousin who races and works at a shop told me its most likely the rims. i get a pretty bad wobble on all but one of my rims so im thinking a new set of rims will do the trick.

my tires are Maxxis Razrs and are pretty bald so i will be buying new tires along with rims....i found some good deal on ebay last night so i might buy some on payday.

05trx400exridr
08-16-2006, 11:29 AM
you could swap your rear rims and then see if wheelies bend to the left. if they do, all you need is new rims.