PDA

View Full Version : the kid that lives in AZ with the street legal 400

brapbrap13
08-02-2006, 03:30 PM
where is ur thread? me and my bro are fighitng about it cuz he lives in AZ and says its impossible any one no where it is? i searched and cant find it.

GPracer2500
08-02-2006, 03:42 PM
In AZ it's fairly simple to street legal a quad. I'll see them on the streets occasionally and have a friend with a plated Raptor 700.

armysig
08-02-2006, 03:46 PM
You can get your quad legal for AZ. Here are some things you need to do before you bring it down to the DMV

1. rear view mirror. (must have)
2. turn signals
3. Horn, must be heard atleast 200ft. away.

Places you can't ride your quad.

Phonix area or supburbs.
Tucson or supburbs.
Any major highway

Other than that if a city doesn't have a law against it you can ride it on the streets.

There are plenty of people in Sierra Vista and surrounding cities that allow people to ride their quads in the city limits.

Ft. Huachuca also allows you to register your quad on post if you meet the state's requirments.

GPracer2500
08-02-2006, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by armysig
You can get your quad legal for AZ. Here are some things you need to do before you bring it down to the DMV

1. rear view mirror. (must have)
2. turn signals
3. Horn, must be heard atleast 200ft. away.

Places you can't ride your quad.

Phonix area or supburbs.
Tucson or supburbs.
Any major highway

Other than that if a city doesn't have a law against it you can ride it on the streets.

There are plenty of people in Sierra Vista and surrounding cities that allow people to ride their quads in the city limits.

Ft. Huachuca also allows you to register your quad on post if you meet the state's requirments.

Really? This is what the Arizona Off-Highway Vehicle Laws, Rules and Regulations guide says about street-legaling an ATV:

• At least one brake that can be operated by hand or foot.
• Brake light.
• At least one, but not more than two, headlights that shine at least 500 feet ahead.
• At least one taillight visible for at least 500 feet to the rear.
• At least one red rear reflector, if not part of the taillight.
• License plate securely fastened to the rear of the ATV.
• License plate light.
• Horn audible from a distance of at least 200 feet.
• Muffler in good working order and in constant operation. Muffler cutout, bypass or similar device prohibited.
• Rearview mirror.
• Seat and footrests for the operator.
• Fuel tank cap.
• If you live in the Phoenix or Tucson metro areas you may also need to have your ATV emissions tested

AZ doesn't require turn signals on quads or motorcycles. The above is almost identical to what motorcycles require. The only difference that I notice is that bikes can't have handlebars that go above your sholders and they don't specifically mention that in reference to ATVs. The emissions requirement does not apply to the most recent 5 model years (even in the metro areas). I think maybe your confusing the emissions testing requirement with municipal regulations restricting ATVs (Pheonix and Tuscon metro areas require emissions testing, other areas do not). I'm not aware of any municipal regulations in Phoenix or the surrounding suburbs. If there are any I've never heard of them and they don't stop people from using their quads around the streets of the Phoenix metro area [shrug]. AFAIK, major highways are fine too (although I wouldn't recommend it!).

Depending on which DMV location you go to and who the person is that helps you, an actual inspection may not even take place. Any more they just have you sign a document indicating that your ATV/dirt bike meets the required equipment list.

armysig
08-02-2006, 04:39 PM
Hey thanks for the corrections. I went down to the DMV in Sierra vista and the inspector stated I needed to have turn signals. I was more courious than anything else about making mine legal.

Good info. I hadn't had the time to do an extensive search on the net for it.

GPracer2500
08-02-2006, 05:14 PM
No problem. The folks at the DMV in my area win awards for incompetence and the spread of missinformation.

Aztrx400
08-02-2006, 06:07 PM
And you can ride in Tucson city limits and its suberbs, I see Street legal quads on the street all the time, within city limits.