PDA

View Full Version : sprokets?????/

kfx400isdashiz
08-02-2006, 12:07 PM
ok i have a kfx400 drz e base gasget. lrd slipon dyno jet procom cdi. i have a 13 an 14 front, and a 38 39 and 40 reear. which combo is best.i dont race. i wanna beat my friends raptor everywhere. let me know what are some of the configurations you gus are runnin

indyZrider
08-02-2006, 06:23 PM
your not going to beat a raptor in long straight away by down sizing your front sprocket. i would stay with the 14. by going down in the rear is going to increase your take off but kill your high speed on the top end. with the mods you have its going to pretty close to impossible to beat a raptor everywhere. your bike is more nimble and agile but it lacks the brute power the raptor will kill you with in a drag race. your going to need a big bore and some engine work to beat him in a drag. so keep him in the woods or on a track and you will stay in front, as long as your a decent rider.

kfx400isdashiz
08-02-2006, 07:48 PM
so would a 14 aand 39 be my best bet for all around?

jonboy
08-02-2006, 09:43 PM
I believe indyzrider has it backwards, a lesser toothed sprocket in the rear will increase your top and lose some take off. One less tooth in the front equals to adding three in the rear. If its top end that you want keep the stock 14on the front and go with the 38 in the rear. I enjoy climbing hills so I put 13/40 on mine. As far as out running a Raptor the 260cc's of displacement more than you is going to take you. If your lucky you can possibly have a local Machine Shop custom make you a rear sprocket to your desire, like I did with my Lakota.

jonboy
08-02-2006, 09:47 PM
I depends on the type of riding that you do the most. My best suggestion is to to with it until you find the combo you like. You already have a pretty good supply to work with.

indyZrider
08-03-2006, 05:12 PM
good call jonboy. i was wrong on the rear sprocket. here is gearing calculator for your own personal interest and curiosity.
http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/ltz400.htm

jonboy
08-04-2006, 10:06 PM
Hey IndyZRider that was a great link. That will definately tell someone exactly what gearing they would need. How did you get that calculator anyway?:D

jonboy
08-04-2006, 10:10 PM
Hey I noticed on your info at the right that you're from southwest Indiana, is that correct? If it is how far from Evansville are you?

indyZrider
08-05-2006, 10:02 AM
i live about 10 miles south of indianapolis, so about 1.5 hours north of evansville maybe. i got the calculator from another site and pasted it here. you have any good places to ride down there. ever been to harlan county?

jonboy
08-05-2006, 12:10 PM
I live just outside of O'boro its about 45 minutes from Evansville. No I havent been to Harlen yet. It is on my list of places to go. I do work with a group of guys that did go there a few months ago and spent a weekend camping down there. They said that it has a lot of good riding for just about every type of quad. I have been to Wind Rock and thought that it was great, though it is very rocky and makes for a rough saddle at the end of the day. Me and my wife are interested in going to the Badlands up in Attica. Have you been there?

jonboy
08-05-2006, 12:30 PM
We do have some places that are pretty good to ride at. Like Turkey Bay has trails that are cleared, and there are some moderate jumps on the trails which makes it great, you can run wide open almost the whole time.:D There is also a place called Pattys Bluff in Dycusburg that has some great trails with just about a mix of everything, lots of utes there. A lot of us go to a place called Green coal. Its an old coal mining area that has about 500 acres, with a little bit of everthing also, and it is a local spot for us. We used to ride in Spurgeon or Lynnville Indiana, they were old strip mines and they were awsome to ride. I dont think I had rode over the same trail twice in a days ride there, but the closed them down for reclaim and what not. Supposed there is an ATV club that is working to get the property opened back up to the public.

indyZrider
08-05-2006, 03:10 PM
yeah i ride attica quite a bit. its a good place. about 740 acres, alot of dunes. there is a decent amount of trail/woods riding. also a nice little creek to play and cool off in. im going to the badlands on the 19th of august so let me know if you want to ride. if your not going until a later date or something just pm me and ill go. its only about an hour and twenty minutes away. if you like to moto a little there is a place in illinois called Lincoln Trail. its only about 250 acres but its alot of fun. they have mile long flat track and nice moto track as well as the woods and creeks. its just a little west of terre haute.