PDA

View Full Version : alignment issues

rockabilly13
08-01-2006, 09:00 PM
I'm new to quads and I had a rather harsh landing on my yfz. Anyway my bars were turned slightly to the right when my wheels are straight. (nothings bent that I can see) So I loosened the tie rods to move the bars back into place and kind of just eyeballed the alignment but I was just wondering what is the proper way to set up alignment?

bansheexcracer2
08-01-2006, 10:51 PM
Just put the bars strait and ajust each wheel till it looks right. It helps to have someone else look at it as you ajust it.

rockabilly13
08-02-2006, 05:42 AM
If your standind in the front looking at it ar the wheels supposed to point in or out a little.

TBD
08-02-2006, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by rockabilly13
If your standind in the front looking at it ar the wheels supposed to point in or out a little.
The front of the tires should be an 1/8" to a 1/4" toe'd in. Meaning that by measuring from the front of the tires and then measure from the back of the front tires. Sounds to me like you bent the splines on the bottom of the steering stem.

400exrider707
08-02-2006, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by TBD
The front of the tires should be an 1/8" to a 1/4" toe'd in. Meaning that by measuring from the front of the tires and then measure from the back of the front tires. Sounds to me like you bent the splines on the bottom of the steering stem.

:huh A tie-rod would definitely give before you twisted splines on a steering stem. Also what steering stem even has splines? They all use a plate welded on the bottom to move the tie-rods in and out.

TBD
08-02-2006, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
:huh A tie-rod would definitely give before you twisted splines on a steering stem. Also what steering stem even has splines? They all use a plate welded on the bottom to move the tie-rods in and out.
YFZ, Raptor 660 and 700 and also the LTR450 all use splines on the bottom of the stem. In most casses the splines will twist before a tie rod bends.

rockabilly13
08-02-2006, 02:42 PM
i have a Houser steering stem so I don't think it's the stem. I also pulled it out and it looks fine.