PDA

View Full Version : Is the Cobra 50 the real deal? Pappy please read!

ewathen
08-01-2006, 08:31 PM
My son started riding this summer on a e-ton viper 50. He is doing pretty awsome and wants to race next year. I was buying into all the hype about the typhoons. But now I am getting scared about them. I also don't wan't to spend $5000 building a kasea or some other quad when I can get the cobra for $6500.

Bottom line: Are the Cobras that much better than everything else. From what I saw at the World powersport tour in Rossville. they are pretty awsome.

They seem like they are built stonger than the other quads.

I would like everyones honest opinons on these quads.

By the way, the boy turns 5 in december.

Thanks

Eric

Pappy
08-01-2006, 08:52 PM
If I were serious about racing, then the Cobra would be the one I would look into. I received your pm, and I thank you for the kind words. However, I have very little hands on experience with the Cobras, but at your request I will inform you of what I have been told when I was looking at making a purchase.

Great quads, decently built. Factory seems to want to be involved and will help with issues. Decent suspension, excellent compared to the rest of the market. Enough power from the 50 to keep most young riders happy but safe, and can be made to rip if needed.

The downsides I have been told are, cracked frames, typical engine issues and generally need more maintenance then a standard production mini. In a true race quad these issues are to be somewhat expected I guess, but for $6500 you would think it would be all maintenance and typical wear items. I have been warned to expect tranny repairs but again, I have no first hand knowledge, only what has been told to me by those that I trust to feed me good info with no BS.

I hope this helped. And keep this in mind, ask those that respond to anything in this section or any of the mini sections if they sell the quad. A lot of dealers lurking in here and are not telling people what to expect in a completely honest and open fashion.

And yes, as I said earlier, at this time I would buy one if I intended on running in a 50cc venue.

Livin4Real
08-01-2006, 10:08 PM
Hey Eric, good to see you guys at Rossville. As for the cobras go, they are a great quad but as was mentioned they still need some upgrading for racing. The silencer needs rewelded on the pipe as it will break after one race, and the oversized radiator is a must have. Give Cliff a call at Pittman racing in KY, he can give you all the info you need. I'm looking into getting Brandon one myself, just need to sell his first.

LT80
08-02-2006, 07:10 AM
Like all said, the one to have.
Expect to put a-arms and other front end stuff on it. A aftermarket swingarm also.
Shocks will be next.
Your 6200 investment will be 8k+ in a heart beat.
Welcome to the empty wallet club. :D :D

So what ya hear bad about the typhoon?

ewathen
08-02-2006, 08:45 AM
Pappy,

Thanks for the info.

Brian,

Great to see you there to. Your family was a great group of people. Good luck on getting the Cobra.

LT80,

Check this out for some heated discussion.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=240227&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Livin4Real
08-02-2006, 08:51 AM
Jack doesn't need help finding any heated discussions :p

mxkids
08-02-2006, 09:53 PM
We currently have 2 cobras and a 3rd on the way. We are running stock front end and no after market swingarms. Most of the Cobras at the Nationals are running all stock stuff. The only thing we have done to ours is put handle bars, steering stem stabilizer, bigger radiator, and grips. They are great quads. You can also contact me (Sonia) at JMR Powersports for any info that you may need.

Sonia Tittle

Pappy
08-03-2006, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by mxkids
They are great quads. You can also contact me (Sonia) at JMR Powersports for any info that you may need.

Sonia Tittle

What seems to be causing the issues with the clutches (if it indeed is an issue) I was warned to be prepared to keep spare parts on hand but no reasoning was explained:ermm:

howmuchnow
08-03-2006, 09:38 AM
We have a cobra also and love it, it's the best bang for the buck so far. As for the clutches, In my opinion it's just dad trying to get every ounce he can on most parts. The other is a lack of maintaince.

mxkids
08-03-2006, 08:32 PM
We personally try to push every part on the bike to its limit. Without people like us, how can the bikes ever get better. As for clutches the rekluse clutch has only been on the cobra for less then 5 months. We know we still have some fine tunning to do. Our clutch problems has been because our boys have not shifted like they should. Yes they run fast, but they also make alot of mistakes which has been a result in many DNF's for them this season. New and better things are just around the corner. I think that we have done well this season. 4 cobras has ran the 90 class jr and sr this season and have consectively finished up top in most of the races with only 80cc against 125cc 4 strokes. Anybody who has seen these little bikes run would agree that with 10 more cc's "It's going to make for a good race".

Pappy
08-03-2006, 08:36 PM
LOL...I dont think any quad can be prepared enough for an 8 year old on a mission:p

I know this isnt a 70cc question, but on the 90s, I have heard that they use the same clutch plates a kx65....anyone know if this is the case?

mxkids
08-03-2006, 08:51 PM
Yes they are similar. Curently we are working on a 6 disc clutch. Roughly 30% more surface area.

JeffBean23x
08-08-2006, 06:44 PM
they screw they are the real deal i dont really like the typhoons compared to this

Livin4Real
08-08-2006, 10:05 PM
The typhoons can't hold a candle to the cobras but your also talking over $5000 difference.